Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I bought my first cab tractor last year, and I really love everything about it except the mirrors sticking out the sides. I try hard to avoid hitting branches with the cab, but I'm not so good at not hitting branches with the mirrors. It seems like every time I go out to mow with my 12 foot batwing, my mirrors end up out of whack and pretty much useless. Several times they get bent back so I can't open the door to get out until I get the arm of the mirror pushed forward again. This can be very difficult when I can only open the door a few inches.

I'm thinking about removing the mirrors and putting them on a shelf to sit for all eternity.

I've never had a backup camera, but it seems to me that it would be better then the mirrors for seeing what the mower is doing, and how close I'm getting to things like the fence, trees and the edge of my pond.

The only place that I've looked at backup cameras is on Amazon. They have a lot to chose from, but since I've never had one before, I don't really know what to look for, or which brands are better.

What do you have and why do you like or hate it?

What should I be looking at when making my decision on what to buy?

Thanks

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #4  
Replaced my rearview mirror with a 2 camera set up in my skid steer. The Bobcat SS has rear visibility issues. The mirror view was limited. Now I toggle switch between 2 views on the camera to see normal or wide angle view. 7" viewing screen is a bonus too, All from Amazon.
And the extra wide 170º angle camera

Last edited:
   / Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #5  
After reading your post about getting stuck, I'd say stay far, far away from the edge of your pond. Seriously.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #6  
I just installed a camera on my Branson last week;
What have you done to your Branson today?

I used a more expensive camera and monitor then many do.
The monitor is a 9 inch which can do numerous display modes from single camera views to multiple cameras at the same time.
I also got digital HD wireless cameras and the nicer part a magnetic mounted battery to power the magnetically mounted camera.
The resolution and picture quality is very good

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #7  
I have a back up camera,about useless with the sun glare(it's not a cheap one either).At night it works o.k.
Found the same problem with my outside mirrors,just push them back with the doors.
Maybe try an interior car type mirror.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #8  

I have these two. I like them both. The cheaper one resets all the settings every time I shut it down so I had to fiddle around with it some. The more expensive one is worth what I paid for it but there are cheaper options on Amazon that are probably just as good. As with all cheap Chinese electronics, your mileage may vary from unit to unit and vendor to vendor.

One thing I did was mount all my cameras and monitors with neo magnets. In the case of my excavator, I used the monitor mounting adhesive strip to stick the magnets to monitor mounting bracket so I can move the monitor around at will. Three magnets are plenty strong to hold it and I can still use my flip-up front glass without it hitting the monitor. In my skidsteer, I don't have the space problem with the flip door so I just stuck it the monitor and to the left near a switch block with an empty slot.

I am preparing to buy another one for my RTV to solve some of the visibility problems I have when the bed is full. I'll probably also get a wireless one for my dump trailer.

I feel so much better knowing I'm not backing into a fence post or running over my dog.

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #9  
I use mirrors and a camera. One front, one rear.
I mainly use the front camera for the pallet forks, and the rear for snowplowing.
I bought a wired system once I discovered they are powered right at the fuse box and get to the cameras integrated in the video cable. Very easy install.
This is what I installed 2 or 3 years ago:
IMG_4300.jpg

/ Backup Camera to replace mirrors on cabbed tractor #10  
I use a camera(s) on my cab tractor. I can reverse the image on monitor so it is the right image.
I use it on the forks more than as a backup camera.
I prefer the mirrors to watch the mower, planter and corn sheller.
I can also put a camera in the seed hopper if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 98