Bang,Wham,Ouch.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #21  
If you are cold while ice fishing you are doing something wrong. :)
My wife tells me me saw a shack on the bay already.
I'll have mine out over the Christmas holidays. I also landscaped a corner of my yard as a ramp so I can drive the truck out and take the FIL fishing later in the season.

Last edited:
   / Bang,Wham,Ouch. #22  
If you are cold while ice fishing you are doing something wrong. :)My tells me me saw a shack on the bay already.
I'll have mine out over the Christmas holidays. I also landscaped a corner of my yard as a ramp so I can drive the truck out and take the FIL fishing later in the season.

Yes, exactly. It's a 'go big or stay home' thing when the weather is bitey unless you are one of those Nanuk of the North creatures. I can take some cold, but the reward has to be better than fish :)
Dave.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch.
Tig.
"If you are cold while ice fishing you are doing something wrong."
I had nack for picking cold days to ice fish.;)

"I can drive the truck out"
Your braver man than I when comes to that. :O

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #24  
Tig.
"If you are cold while ice fishing you are doing something wrong."
I had nack for picking cold days to ice fish.;)

"I can drive the truck out"
Your braver man than I when comes to that. :O

On the local lake, the public boat launch ramp becomes the truck ramp as soon as the ice is thick enough. I think it is not so risky on smaller lakes.

Every year in the Spring, the Coast Guard rescues ice fishers off a floating cake of ice in Lake Erie. They just happened to be out on the ice when it starts breaking up. Gosh, who could predict that would happen? :rolleyes: I think they finally started forcing them to pay for the recovery of drowned snowmobiles and the like.
Dave.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch.
Dave.
"be out on the ice when it starts breaking up. Gosh, who could predict that would happen?"

Years back Mascoma Lake man try to beat ice break up,short cut across the ice w/D6 lost his life.:(
Finally NH lowering the boom on snowmobliers that water skim,we had some nasty accidents do to lack of common sense lately.

"I think they finally started forcing them to pay for the recovery of drowned snowmobiles and the like."

I am all for that!!!
NH hits wallet hard each day vehicle etc. under water...also bob house.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #26  
Driving on a frozen lake has to be an informed decision and not a monkey see, monkey do thing. :) I'm comfortable with it for the waters I watch out my window. That being said, I have little need to do it these days. However, my FIL is not up to walking or snowmobiling, but he would love to fish if possible. So if the winter is good, I'll have time to phyically check the ice and drive him out when it is more than safe.
I think salvage rules apply if your vehicle falls in the lake around here. I know we can be held responsible for recovery costs and environmental damage.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #27  
Driving on a frozen lake has to be an informed decision and not a monkey see, monkey do thing. :) I'm comfortable with it for the waters I watch out my window. That being said, I have little need to do it these days. However, my FIL is not up to walking or snowmobiling, but he would love to fish if possible. So if the winter is good, I'll have time to phyically check the ice and drive him out when it is more than safe.
I think salvage rules apply if your vehicle falls in the lake around here. I know we can be held responsible for recovery costs and environmental damage.

I don't think is a big risk if you use common sense and are a bit observant as you say.

On Lake Erie, (this is years ago, don't know about now), there was a lakeshore 'fleet' of old cars and trucks with the tops torched off. Those were used by ice fishing 'guides', they set up the shacks and ferried people back and forth. Probably sold bait and beer too :) Of course, my Dad preferred the less expensive but much colder methods.
Dave.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #28  
Ice fishing sure sounds fun. Never fell all the way through the ice, but when I was a kid I use to walk the frozen swamp of Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria Virginia. Foot went through a few times, but dad always seemed to catch me and pull me back on the boardwalk. Good memories

Today I had to moments that would have made it in this thread. As you know, we finally got a good snow in these parts. So far we are at 24.5" and counting. But I've had enough for the day. I was plowing behind my pickup truck, getting pretty close to the bumper so I wouldn't have to shovel as much, and guess what I ran into:D:D. Then I was plowing at the end of my street, Backwards(rear blade) and reached the crown on the other side of the road to my steet pushing snow into the ditch. I couldn't make it back up over the crown. Snow got real slick real quick. Turf tires and no chains. I ended up in the ditch. Wish I could of got some pics for y'all, but I was blocking the whole road. The road I was blocking is called steps to heaven. When this community was put in, the road was called slope one. It was a ski resort back in the 50's. So you see my dilema. Steep road, no way anyone would be able to stop from hitting me if they decided to come down that road. Anyhow, 5 neighbors came out to help me, and after removing the back blade(in the ditch) we were able to get the 'bota out. After getting some chain and draging the blade back on my street(a little more flat) I re-attached it, and humbly went home to rest up, so I can go at it again tomarrow. Now I have a 5 more driveways to plow:D:D. Hope the BX is up to it.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #29  
Ice fishing sure sounds fun. Never fell all the way through the ice, but when I was a kid I use to walk the frozen swamp of Huntley Meadows Park in Alexandria Virginia. Foot went through a few times, but dad always seemed to catch me and pull me back on the boardwalk. Good memories

Today I had to moments that would have made it in this thread. As you know, we finally got a good snow in these parts. So far we are at 24.5" and counting. But I've had enough for the day. I was plowing behind my pickup truck, getting pretty close to the bumper so I wouldn't have to shovel as much, and guess what I ran into:D:D. Then I was plowing at the end of my street, Backwards(rear blade) and reached the crown on the other side of the road to my steet pushing snow into the ditch. I couldn't make it back up over the crown. Snow got real slick real quick. Turf tires and no chains. I ended up in the ditch. Wish I could of got some pics for y'all, but I was blocking the whole road. The road I was blocking is called steps to heaven. When this community was put in, the road was called slope one. It was a ski resort back in the 50's. So you see my dilema. Steep road, no way anyone would be able to stop from hitting me if they decided to come down that road. Anyhow, 5 neighbors came out to help me, and after removing the back blade(in the ditch) we were able to get the 'bota out. After getting some chain and draging the blade back on my street(a little more flat) I re-attached it, and humbly went home to rest up, so I can go at it again tomarrow. Now I have a 5 more driveways to plow:D:D. Hope the BX is up to it.

I think that qualifies you for the Bang, Wham & Ouch of the day! Glad you got it all back on the street and sounds like no damage done. You folks are getting a decent snow storm if you've passed 2' already.
Dave.

/ Bang,Wham,Ouch. #30  
I think that qualifies you for the Bang, Wham & Ouch of the day! Glad you got it all back on the street and sounds like no damage done. You folks are getting a decent snow storm if you've passed 2' already.
Dave.

Just a little damage to my pride:D. Yeah, we usually don't get that much snow. I may have to start saving up for a snow blower.