bar oil test

/ bar oil test #61  
Used motor oil is a proven carcinogen. I won't and wouldn't suggest anyone using that stuff.
There's a lot of carcinogens we come into contact with every day. Unless someone is licking used motor oil off their fingers, just wear gloves and move on.

/ bar oil test #62  
There's a lot of carcinogens we come into contact with every day. Unless someone is licking used motor oil off their fingers, just wear gloves and move on.
If you put used motor oil to the tests this guy did you might reconsider, first you should filter it so it doesn't clog your chainsaw, then that oil lost its viscosity since its used so it does a poor job lubricating. Dealing with that mess, prematurely going through chain and bars, constantly readjusting the chain, each their own but I rather keep my used oil for camp fires and spend the money to have quality oil lubing my chain.

/ bar oil test #63  
Inactivity, obesity, and about 1,000 more things cause cancer. Simply running a chainsaw probably a workout for most of us, probably fights cancer.

/ bar oil test #64  
1704829965965.png

I don't put used oil in my chainsaw it might cause cancer,

1704829906245.png

/ bar oil test #65  
Inactivity, obesity, and about 1,000 more things cause cancer. Simply running a chainsaw probably a workout for most of us, probably fights cancer.

Plus, nobody is drinking the used oil.

If it was so bad, I'm sure big brother would make oil change places a haz-mat facility.

/ bar oil test #66  
Plus, nobody is drinking the used oil.

If it was so bad, I'm sure big brother would make oil change places a haz-mat facility.
Only in California, where being there causes cancer.

/ bar oil test #67  
My grandfather apparently just kept around some used motor oil that he'd feed through the chainsaw. You can't go much cheaper than that!!! However, your calculation that a few gallons would pay for a new chain and bar as needed probably makes sense.
I do some pruning and firewood, but I don't think I've ever worn out a chain or a bar. I personally like new oil because it is cleaner. However, I don't get too picky. Perhaps I'll try to hunt down some of the Harvest King that did well in the Project Farm tests.

I tried that once after I ran out of any new oil. If it was fairly clean gas oil maybe it wouldn’t be so bad but the container I had was diesel oil. It made a big mess. I’ll never do that again just to save $7 a gallon for bar oil.

/ bar oil test #68  
Working on other folks saw that have used, used oil that was strained. Fine particles is still in there.

I've pulled pumps apart after replacing them for owners when had issues. Fine scratches could be seen on inside area that should be smooth.

Last guy I did one for I told that is the last NLA oiler I have for these and they are like hen teeth to find. So stop using it.

Plus they pay extra for me to have to work on that mess of a saws to flush all that crap from inside their tank.

I mean come the freak on bar oil is cheap, saws are not. 🤦‍♂️ :rolleyes:(n)

/ bar oil test #69  
Around here they often sell 3 different grades of bar oil

winter blend

summer blend

year round blend

i usually buy year round blend
was cutting one cold winter day with a guy using summer blend and it poured out of the bottle VERY slowly.

/ bar oil test #70  
I'm just a Home Owner.....that has cut a lot of dead Pine trees etc. I use the Year round blend in my nice saws....That's the least of my expenses as a DIY guy. I figure the Manufacturer know more about his saw and what's good for it than I do.
Cheers, Mike