Beat Juice Center of Gravity

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #1  

Geotech

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501,
Anybody remember enough physics to calculate the distance of the centroid of beat juice (or any other fluid) in a 3/4 full tire? Assume an R4 tire for an L2501. Curious how much lower it would be compared to wheel weights centered on the axle. Just looking at a sketch, I am guestimating it would be below the axle, about a quarter the distance between the axle and the ground. I don't have the inclination to remember how to super-impose the various shapes to figure it out. Would be HIGHLY impressed by anyone who does!

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #2  
You'd have to know the dimensions of the inside of the space in the tire that the beet juice occupies first, wouldn't you, to determine the shape of the object (the object being the beet juice)? It's not a perfectly round, tube-like space, and it's dimensions change with air pressure, strength of the rubber, load on the tractor, etc.... the space is shorter and fatter on the bottom, stuff like that, no?

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #3  
Also, since the weight is not sprung weight, it's on the axle, would it make that much difference? Think about the pumpkin being the center of the lever, the fulcrum, and the wheels being kids on a teeter totter seats at the ends. Does it matter if the kid is standing on the seat or hanging from below the seat, or somewhere in between? No, if the kid is attached the same distance from the fulcrum he still weighs the same as far as the lever is concerned.

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #4  
Anybody remember enough physics to calculate the distance of the centroid of beat juice (or any other fluid) in a 3/4 full tire? Assume an R4 tire for an L2501. Curious how much lower it would be compared to wheel weights centered on the axle. Just looking at a sketch, I am guestimating it would be below the axle, about a quarter the distance between the axle and the ground. I don't have the inclination to remember how to super-impose the various shapes to figure it out. Would be HIGHLY impressed by anyone who does!

I have a teaser....

Attachments

• Center of gravity.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 113
   / Beat Juice Center of Gravity
Moss Road, to make the calculation practical, it would not be unreasonable to neglect the outside vs inside diameter and deformation from tire pressure. From an engineering standpoint, you could also assume the R4 tire as an idealized cylinder and just do a 2-D analysis on the shape of the face. It would just look like a cylinder with X thickness, filled 75 percent form bottom to top.

The fulcrum (center of the axle) is not centered on the beat juice if it is not filled to the top of the tire.

Last edited:
   / Beat Juice Center of Gravity #6  
Hey - Moss - I resemble your remark - "shorter & fatter on the bottom"

I think you need to drive the tractor with the rear wheel loaded - up on a pallet - preferably out in the field - see which way the wind blows - that will give you the answer.

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity
Lol - I'm getting close to purchase time. I think I'm set on the model and implements. Trying to decide between fluid or wheel weights. I think I prefer the idea of wheel weights in the event of getting a flat. But fluid would have a lower center of gravity. I doubt it would be much lower than the axle, but as an engineer, would like to know just how much lower. Too lazy to re-learn how to do it though, lol. Heck maybe I will do it later-on and post the results for a fun conversation. Some places still do anti-freeze and water, which I don't want spilling on my land if I get a puncture. I think any type of fluid would be a pain with a flat.

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #8  
Lol - I'm getting close to purchase time. I think I'm set on the model and implements. Trying to decide between fluid or wheel weights. I think I prefer the idea of wheel weights in the event of getting a flat. But fluid would have a lower center of gravity. I doubt it would be much lower than the axle, but as an engineer, would like to know just how much lower. Too lazy to re-learn how to do it though, lol. Heck maybe I will do it later-on and post the results for a fun conversation. Some places still do anti-freeze and water, which I don't want spilling on my land if I get a puncture. I think any type of fluid would be a pain with a flat.

-20F windshield washer fluid is the cheapest way to go
Rimguard is the heaviest, but way more expensive than WW fluid.
I have only had two leaks in 50 years of owning tractors
WW fluid is so cheap that I can live with just replacing the WW fluid if need be.
It might be that you cannot find -20F WW fluid in Texas though.

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #9  

As an engineer.... there are to many things that you need to know that are not known in that attached PDF above. You first would need to know the bare machines exact center of gravity. Then you would need to know the resulting exact center of gravity for any and all implements. And finally you could make some basic assumptions and fairly accurately calc out the effect of the tires being filled to the top of the wheel. But to me, there are far to many things that would need to be told to me first by the design engineers, or I would need model the entire thing in solid with dimensions and material types... it's not a simple question of what effect does the liquid ballast have.... you can't say because you have no clue where you are starting from so that you can begin to calc out the effects.

/ Beat Juice Center of Gravity #10  
Geotech - thirty seven years out here with two tractors - both with loaded rears - ZERO flats in all that time. Current Kubota M6040 has 68 gallons = 750 pounds - RimGuard in EACH rear tire. How in the world am I going to get that kind of weight using wheel weights. Most cast wheel weights go for around $2 per pound. 1500 pounds of wheel weights = $3000. Buys a whole ocean of RimGuard.