Best gas engine oil.

/ Best gas engine oil. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I know, another what is the best oil thread.:mad:

I will explain. I have been on the Amsoil tread mill for about 10 years now and am going to get off it. I am convinced it is a high quality oil but am not sure I need it any more. We have three vehicles and my kids have two plus my tractor and several small engines. I was doing a once a year change on all of them, which was usually 10000 miles or less. The good part is all of the cars and trucks now use 5w 40 oil now.

I will retire in about a year and will probably just go by the oil life monitor in the vehicles now. I have been running NAPA Gold oil filters which are Wix is my understanding. I have read they are high quality. For oil I am looking at either Castrol, Penzoil or Valvoline in full synthetic.

The problem is all the info I read about oil and filters 10 years ago is out of date or gone. If I search I get a lot of sites and reviews that appear to be more sales based. Are there any recent oil test results that are not sales based. I am also thinking about just buying what is on sale at local stores in full synthetic.

/ Best gas engine oil. #2  
There is no best oil. Pick one and stick with it. My 2004 GMC Sierra’s 5.3 has had nothing but Quaker State since the factory fill. My Scag gets Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend from Walmart. The Mini Cooper gets Mobil 1.

/ Best gas engine oil. #3  
This will be an interesting thread to follow. During the Alaska oil pipeline build years all the major companies used Lubriplate. The Alaska Oil Consortium(ALYESKA) - five or six major oil companies - swore that, at that time, it was the best oil going. I used it in my 4WD rig and never had any problems with it. It WAS expensive. Last time I checked - eight years ago - there was a company in Spokane that could get it for me.

I'm, now, of the opinion - - major brand, proper weight, change every 5000 miles or so. I only have full synthetic in my motorcycle. And it IS liquid gold. I don't know who makes this oil for BMW. I've thought of saving the quart containers. On an oil that costs $16.95/quart - the container, itself, must be worth something. And I thought Harley branded oil was expensive - ha.

/ Best gas engine oil. #4  
I also use full syn.amsoil signature series in my 2018 challenger & 2016 dodge truck 0w-40 with 6.4 hemi engines.For tractors/kubota RTV 900 shell rotella T6 for diesel engines.Our 2008 ford taurus,2009 ford explorer get 5w-20 full syn. citgo oil.Is there the perfect oil,don"t know.LOL

/ Best gas engine oil. #5  
This will be an interesting thread to follow.

I'm, now, of the opinion - - major brand, proper weight, change every 5000 miles or so.

And calendar time? I have one car that currently gets less than 700 miles a year normally. I've put about 30K on it in the nearly 15 years I've had it, and I don't drive it near as much now as I did when I first got it.

/ Best gas engine oil.
I think you should extend you oil changes if you run full synthetic. Not saying you should go to long of time or to many miles but it does not make sense to change it early. This is why I plan on using the oil life in the vehicles and pushing it near 0% remaining.

/ Best gas engine oil. #7  
Diggin it - I guess you could ask the same about my tractor. Average 100 hours per year - change the engine oil & filter every year.

I have two vehicles - 2005 Ford F-150 & 2006 Jeep TJ. Each gets around 4000 miles per year. I change the engine oil & filter, on each, every year.

I suppose I could go two years on each vehicle.

I would think - condensation getting in the motor oil would be the major concern for the low mileage vehicle. If the engine & oil get up to operating temps for X amount of time - it should be OK for a couple years between changes.

/ Best gas engine oil. #8  
Dodge Man - I would have an oil analysis run on the oil, one year after it was changed. That would give specific data on the remaining life. With that info - you could safely run it out to near zero and be confident that you still had protection.

I think changing oil/filter every X miles is playing to the lowest common denominator. Folks change oil at the recommended interval because it's easier than having an analysis run.

Whatever............

/ Best gas engine oil.
I have pushed both my tractor and my Dodge Challenger past a year on oil changes and the oil looked pretty bad coming out. It was probably still good but I now try for a year at the longest.

/ Best gas engine oil. #10  
There is no best oil. Pick one and stick with it. My 2004 GMC Sierra’s 5.3 has had nothing but Quaker State since the factory fill. My Scag gets Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend from Walmart. The Mini Cooper gets Mobil 1.
Common sense and logic does still prevail. Just when I thought all hope was lost. ;)