Best gas engine oil.

/ Best gas engine oil. #21  
So you've been using one of the finest oils made for years and now you want to change.......that doesn't even make sense. I've used Amsoil since the 70's on dozens of big rigs, delivery trucks, cars, trucks, SUV's, tractors nd have never had and engine related problem. Went 15 years with one oild change on a 1982 Kubota not a typo fifteen years.
I buy it by the the 25 gallon drum.

/ Best gas engine oil.
Yep, I'm changing. To be honest, I think Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc are overpriced. Really good oil but is it better than oil that cost $10 less a gallon? I started using Amsoil about 10 years ago and found some good data back then. At the time there were a lot of oils that were just as good or better than Amsoil, but maybe only one weight of oil would be better. For example maybe Mobil 1 had better than Amsoil results in 5w-20. At that time I thought as a rule the high end oils were better on average across the board. Keep in mind your results don't mean a thing. I'm not bad mouthing your results, its just you could have been using a cheaper oil and had the same results.

/ Best gas engine oil.
There is another thread going that is about Wal Mart supertech oils. There was a link to some good test data in that thread. Not great results if your trying to pick an oil but it seems more of a test if the oil meets standards. There are hundreds of oils on the list and an amazing number of oils that don't meet spec. They were all oils I've never heard of and it seems all brand name oils at least meet specs.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

/ Best gas engine oil. #25  
I ended up getting Castrol Edge. It is a full synthetic priced at about $27 a gallon. I got it at Wally World and regular 5w 20 synthetic was a little hard to find. There was more of the high mileage oils it seems. I will probably get it from Amazon in the future they have a little better prices.

as you probably know, Castrol ( like many others) is hydro cracked . Not a true synthetic
It doesn't start out with a pure base oil. Just dino oil that has been refined xxxxx times to qualify it as a synthetic

I have used Amsoil for many years. I have never ran my oil out to one year oil changes.
Per UAO, the oil would not go that far between changes. About 10-15K changes per UAO is all I could manage to get out of the oil

/ Best gas engine oil. #26  
There is another thread going that is about Wal Mart supertech oils. There was a link to some good test data in that thread. Not great results if your trying to pick an oil but it seems more of a test if the oil meets standards. There are hundreds of oils on the list and an amazing number of oils that don't meet spec. They were all oils I've never heard of and it seems all brand name oils at least meet specs.

http://pqiamerica.com/PCMO_Sample_Summary_12_15_2016.html

Wow. That's quite a list.

/ Best gas engine oil. #27  
Thanks for the link. It gave the green light on our Super Tech that we use in gas engines. Still with Rotella for the diesels.

/ Best gas engine oil.
Did the first oil change with the Castrol today. I was a little disappointed with price when I bought it. It was about $8 less than a gallon of the Amsoil I had been buying. I discovered the Castrol was 5 quarts instead of a gallon so a little better price than I thought. It was amber and it poured so I doubt I notice the difference.

/ Best gas engine oil. #29  
The best overall quality and value that I have found is WM's 100% synthetic gas engine oil.

/ Best gas engine oil. #30  
What is the Best Synthetic Oil? - Best Synthetic Oil Guide

A few points.

1) I tried HARD not to be that Amsoil fan boy by purchaseing most of the top brand oils on the market over the years, but always came back to Amsoil.

2) For me it's the feel of each vehicle with or without Amsoil. I always used Amsoil in this particular vehicle and needed dealer service and without asking me they changed the oil from what I was using to whatever they put in. The vehicle ran like a completely different vehicle. the engine was louder, it vibrated more at highways speed, didn’t seem to idle as smooth etc. I dumped out whatever they put in it and the vehicle ran like it did prior to the dealer putting in their oil.

For me that was an immediate test from morning to the afternoon when I picked it up.

3) I purchased a new vehicle that turned out to be a Lemon. I already changed the oil on this Lemon at 500 miles like I do to all my new vehicles to remove any casting sand. I sued the dealer and the manufacturer for a replacement vehicle. In the mean time I vowed not to spend a dime on this Lemon in repairs or maintainance as I was sure in a few moths I would be getting a new vehicle, that's how good my case was. Well, three years later and 60,000 miles they settled and gave me a new vehicle. I never changed the oil again after that first oil change and the vehcile ran like it was new. The Lemon issue had nothing to do with teh engine.

4) This was on my diesel sprinter. Again always used Amsoil that I brought into the dealer to change when oil changes were due. One time on the road I didn't have the Amsoil so I said change it with Mobil one. Same exact reaction with my other vehicle that was changed from the dealer. It just rand "different" louder, more vibration etc. I did the same thing, once I got home from that trip I dumped out the Mobil one and the vehicle returned to "normal"

5) Last week I changed my Kubota 4060 that has only had Amsoil in it to T6 because of all the raves here on this site. Here we go again. The tractor sounds horrible and just doesn’t feel the same at high revs as before the change.

You guessed it, the Rotella T6 is going to be dumped out this week.

I still have various quarts of Royal purple, Red line, Mobil one, Castrol oil etc in the garage from testing on various vehicles.

I've spent many, many years "experimenting" to find the "perfect" oil and jumping at the chance when "fan boys" tout T6, Mobil one, Royal purple, Lubrication Engineers, Motul, ($18.00 a quart),Schaffer oil, Liquimoly, I've been through them all trying to get away from Amsoil. If the evidence was there for me to use a better oil, I'd do it, heaven knows I'm trying.

If any operator doesn't care or is not as in tune with their vehicle heck just put in the cheapest stuff out there and you will have zero problems as long as you follow the specs of who made the vehicle.

For me, what I spend on oil is protecting something that is worth far, far, more money that the few extra bucks I spend on oil over the stuff you can buy a 7/11.

I don't sell Amsoil, I'm not a dealer, and I could not care less whose name is on the bottle as long as it makes my vehicle run smooth. I'm getting too old to keep "testing" chaeap and or designer oils, 40 years of testing is enough for me.

Last edited: