Best gas engine oil.

/ Best gas engine oil. #42  
As has been stated, there is no "best" oil. Even the conventional oils are giving the full syn motor oils a run for their money. My wife's 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6, GM says it needs Mobil 1 5w30. All I have ever used in Pennzoil conventional 10w30 in it. 13 year old car that we are keeping around for some time to come. According to Petroleum Quality Institute of America, the Pennz conventional 10w30 actually out does Mobil 1 in several areas.

Pennzoil 10w30 conventional....
Pennzoil SAE 1W-3 API SN/ILSAC GF-5

Mobil 1 5w30...
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/mobil1.htm

Feel free to compare.

That does not imply that Mobil 1 is a bad oil. It is not. What it means is that oil refining technology has progressed a long, long ways in the last couple of decades. The distinction between base motor oils is pretty fuzzy when you compare natural gas to liquid (GTL) base oils, group III (highly refined crude), Group IV PAO synthetic, etc.

Get a quality oil that you are comfortable with and helps you sleep at night. Change the oil via the OLM if that comforting. And enjoy life.

/ Best gas engine oil. #43  
People are getting bored already this winter and are asking the "best oil " question. Pretty soon somebody else will want to know about lead substitutes, oil additives, gasoline additives and diesel fuel additives.

/ Best gas engine oil. #44  
People are getting bored already this winter and are asking the "best oil " question. Pretty soon somebody else will want to know about lead substitutes, oil additives, gasoline additives and diesel fuel additives.

Think U hit the nail on the head.

Guess we both are in that club, LOL

/ Best gas engine oil. #45  
I know, another what is the best oil thread.:mad:

I will explain. I have been on the Amsoil tread mill for about 10 years now and am going to get off it. I am convinced it is a high quality oil but am not sure I need it any more. We have three vehicles and my kids have two plus my tractor and several small engines. I was doing a once a year change on all of them, which was usually 10000 miles or less. The good part is all of the cars and trucks now use 5w 40 oil now.

I will retire in about a year and will probably just go by the oil life monitor in the vehicles now. I have been running NAPA Gold oil filters which are Wix is my understanding. I have read they are high quality. For oil I am looking at either Castrol, Penzoil or Valvoline in full synthetic.

The problem is all the info I read about oil and filters 10 years ago is out of date or gone. If I search I get a lot of sites and reviews that appear to be more sales based. Are there any recent oil test results that are not sales based. I am also thinking about just buying what is on sale at local stores in full synthetic.

I’ve e researched oils for years, and have many tech classes under my belt. With that said, as long as the oil is certified by the current standard, you change conventional at 3k miles, and synthetic at 5k miles, you should be fine.
Bob from BITOG Forum tested filters years ago, and concluded that running no filter is no different then running a filter, because we SHOULD NOT be putting dirt in our engines, and his tests proved that. He also said that filters RESTRICT oil flow. I do know;however, that engines and components break down, and metal needs captured. I run the most free flowing filters when I buy a filter. At the current moment I run FRAM Extra Guard or STP filters on my vehicles for said reasoning, because restricted oil flow can hurt on start up, and cold weather.

My 2 cents.

/ Best gas engine oil. #46  
I am an AMSOIL Dealer----

Most synthetic oils are fine and will give you better performance than conventional oil. If scientific laboratory testing is something you believe in then AMSOIL has been proven the best time after time. It isn't surprising that AMSOIL is the best. Their method is to make the best product possible and then determine the cost and selling price. Other brands determine the selling price first and then make the best product they can make at that price point. That is why the most common complaint about AMSOIL products is the price. Do you need the best? Some people want the best but most are willing to settle for less.
You will see the biggest advantage at the extremes. You will run cooler and have better protection in extremely hot weather and AMSOIL will continue to flow and protect in extremely cold weather. If you don't operate in temperature extremes you may not have as many reasons to use synthetic oil. You will be better protected but you may or may not notice.

/ Best gas engine oil. #47  
I am an AMSOIL Dealer----

Most synthetic oils are fine and will give you better performance than conventional oil. If scientific laboratory testing is something you believe in then AMSOIL has been proven the best time after time. It isn't surprising that AMSOIL is the best. Their method is to make the best product possible and then determine the cost and selling price. Other brands determine the selling price first and then make the best product they can make at that price point. That is why the most common complaint about AMSOIL products is the price. Do you need the best? Some people want the best but most are willing to settle for less.
You will see the biggest advantage at the extremes. You will run cooler and have better protection in extremely hot weather and AMSOIL will continue to flow and protect in extremely cold weather. If you don't operate in temperature extremes you may not have as many reasons to use synthetic oil. You will be better protected but you may or may not notice.

Thank you for the honest and straightforward post.

/ Best gas engine oil.
My original post should have said 5w-20 oil for all my vehicles.