Best place to buy sprayer chemicals

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #1  
Tractor
Mitsubishi FD2050
Hi
I've got 12 acres of grass and weeds. I picked up a 30 gallon sprayer on the cheap and I'm looking to kill off all the broadleaved weeds to give the grass a chance. I popped in to tractor supplies and they'd sell me 1 quart for $10, but I'm going to need much more than that.

Where is the best place to purchase sprayer chemicals?
What's the best brand to use?
Can I order online? (On place said they wouldn't ship to Texas)

I've got a small creek that cuts across the land, I have a vague recollection about not spraying in to the water...is that correct? or is it more about not letting significant quantities in to the water course?

thanks

Pete

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #2  
In our area, non licensed applicators are limited to one gallon. They record the sale, including drivers license information. If you want more, you have to have a valid applicators license... but you can buy all the "weed be gone" yard spray without license.

Often, licensed applicators have access to higher concentrates, so a gallon of the good stuff goes much further..

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #5  
To answer your other question, yes, keep it out of the water. Follow the label instructions, it should tell you the restrictions.

HP

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #6  
In Georgia, the Tractor Supply stores carry 2.5 gallons of weed killer. 2,4d and maybe some other ingredients. That will do my 9 acres, actually 8 acres sprayed as there are a few areas that do not get sprayed. I have a 50 gallon sprayer. 100 gallons for that 2.5 gallons of concentrate. Of course never trust internet application rates unless the info is from the product manufacturer.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #7  
2,4-D is a restricted in Texas in quantities greater than 1 quart. At the normal application rate of 2 pts / acre, you can buy enough for 1 acre. I believe the restriction is based on its affect on cotton even at very low rates.

Regulated Herbicides

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #8  
First off ... Identify the weeds you want gone. Spraying willy-nilly is just throwing money on the ground. Sure 2.4-D does a lot of weeds, but tank mix it with XXXX and the effect is multiplied. Other weeds just laugh at 2,4-D. It all depends on the weed, timing, and conditions. Identify your enemy ... then attack its weak spot.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #9  
As others have said, you really need to know what you have in order to make the best choice. I have good luck with Grazon on my hay fields and pastures. I use 2,4-D for controlling wild turnips in my winter grain/grazing.

I buy my chemicals from Helena Chemical. I know they have some locations in TX. These guy specialize in AG chemicals and will be able to help and advice you. Most of the better ones are restricted use and you will need a license to buy them.

They may be able to find you something that will work that is not restricted.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #10  
I like Rural King. I think their prices are pretty good