Best place to buy sprayer chemicals

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #11  
2,4-D is a restricted in Texas in quantities greater than 1 quart. At the normal application rate of 2 pts / acre, you can buy enough for 1 acre. I believe the restriction is based on its affect on cotton even at very low rates.

Regulated Herbicides

So how do they enforce that? Couldn't you just buy 1qt at the TSC, go to Rural King and buy 1qt and so on? Or do you have to provide ID?

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #12  
I don't know if they check IDs, but I get 2,4-D for $13 / gallon. I think a quart size at TSC is around $20.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #13  
I don't know if they check IDs, but I get 2,4-D for $13 / gallon. I think a quart size at TSC is around $20.

I don't know how you're buying 2,4-D since it's restricted in Texas. I tried to buy it last year and the folks at TSC didn't know what I was talking about. Looked up online to order and they won't sell it to Texas residents. Searched high and low and found out why. You're not supposed to use it in Texas without a special one-time permit from the state.

Unless something has changed since last year, you ain't buying nothin' like that in Texas.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #14  
Purchased two weeks ago.

20170322_145306-1494x2656.jpg

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #15  
TSC and Southern States Coop are both ten miles from me, in different directions.

Southern States has better prices but most herbicides are in minimum gallon containers.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #16  
In our area, non licensed applicators are limited to one gallon. They record the sale, including drivers license information. If you want more, you have to have a valid applicators license... but you can buy all the "weed be gone" yard spray without license.

Often, licensed applicators have access to higher concentrates, so a gallon of the good stuff goes much further..
And where is "our area"? You don't list it and location makes a big difference.

Hi
I've got 12 acres of grass and weeds. I picked up a 30 gallon sprayer on the cheap and I'm looking to kill off all the broadleaved weeds to give the grass a chance. I popped in to tractor supplies and they'd sell me 1 quart for $10, but I'm going to need much more than that.

Where is the best place to purchase sprayer chemicals?
What's the best brand to use?
Can I order online? (On place said they wouldn't ship to Texas)

I've got a small creek that cuts across the land, I have a vague recollection about not spraying in to the water...is that correct? or is it more about not letting significant quantities in to the water course?

thanks

Pete
This is why they put all these restrictions on pesticide/herbicide use. Pretty soon we'll need a license to get a sprayer tank of over a gallon.

First off ... Identify the weeds you want gone. Spraying willy-nilly is just throwing money on the ground. Sure 2.4-D does a lot of weeds, but tank mix it with XXXX and the effect is multiplied. Other weeds just laugh at 2,4-D. It all depends on the weed, timing, and conditions. Identify your enemy ... then attack its weak spot.

YES, don't just rely on willy-nilly getting the correct info from a tractor board.

You should identify what you want to get rid of, do some research on the best method AND the timing, and contact your local USDA office.

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals
thanks for all the information. My biggest problems are prickly poppies, a spiky form of nightshade and a really tall (8ft) feathery plant that basically took over all the fields before we bought the place. I tried to identify it, but without much luck. Last year I had to bushhog through these things and it was higher than me and the tractor. The area I've sprayed last weekend with pasture pro has killed these off, but if I'm having to buy it by the quart, then it's going to cost way too much. I am careful about reading the label, but I have to kill of these weeds otherwise they'll take over.
I'm not sure about grazon as the data sheet I saw said that it killed off fruit trees and peas and beans. I'm still researching but now I have more sources to look for.

thanks for all the information

Pete

/ Best place to buy sprayer chemicals #20