Best USED choice on my low budget?see options

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #1  

canucklehead

Gold Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1500, Toro 455D 10' mower w/ Renault diesel,
I see about 5 tractors for sale in my travel area, in my budget ($4,000, maybe 5K tops).I have 5 acres, mini horses. need to plow manure piles, move hog fuel with bucket, some fencing. would like to scrape sand ring and plant grass seed in areas. Maybe some finishing mowing. My land is mostly flat, with wet muck in winter. I'm not sure 4x4 is 100% required. A large bucket would be nice because hog fuel isn't heavy, but it's bulky and gets delivered in a big truck load, like 30 yards or more. These are what I've narrowed my choices down to, in my budget, in my area....

1)Ford 1801 industrial tractor with a backhoe and FEL. says it works, but it's older & slow (does that mean tired??). This one seems biggest and heaviest duty. 4 cycl diesel, selectomatic shifter (whatever that is). No hours indicated, & I assume 2wd.

2)Bolens Iseki,4x4, 20hp, diesel, FEL & a new 5' brush cutter (or mower). I've read on these forums that they are hard to find parts for. Again, no hours specified.

3)89 John Deere 670 4x4, new tires, 3800 hrs, brush hog, and 2-size post hole augger. Good condition, runs strong.** NO FEL. How much to get a FEL to fit this??

4)Mitsubishi Beaver 372, 2 cyl, 15 Hp diesel front loader and three point rear hitch

5)434 International tractor. Diesel ,Runs good,FEL, no idea of hours.

Part of my problem is that all of these require me to spend about a full day of travel to/from, to go check them out.So I really need to focus on one of them. I think any one of these would be good enough. Pretty sure they all have 3PT hitches (except that Ford 1801 with the backhoe). Altho I don't need backhoe, there are a few areas where I could use some trenching.

So which one would you focus on? WHich seems most intriguing? Any of them to totally avoid? I'm leaning to the Bolens or Mitsubishi.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #2  
I'd suggest the International 434 is the best fit for your needs, except for the finish mowing. You can get a rear finish mower, but the 434 weighs almost 5000 lbs and may rut your lawn (especially if it has ag tires).
The International 434 has 40some HP and probably the most capacity for lifting (loader and 3PH). Here's some info on it: TractorData.com International Harvester 434 tractor dimensions information.
You don't mention if this machine is 4WD. It probably isn't which might be a drag with the loader. It also doesn't appear to have power steering (which is really a drag with a loader).

The 670 is a sweet and tough machine...that was my first tractor. But finding a #60 loader may be pretty tough. Also, with 3800 hours, that tough little engine is getting long in the tooth. The good thing is parts are still readily available (except for the loader). But it's also a small tractor with 19 engine HP and 17 at the PTO. I could operate and lift a 60" rotary cutter with no problems, however. But you'd need front weights since there's no loader.
Figure about $3000US for an aftermaket loader.
This machine does have power steering and it's small size might be the best for cleaning stalls, They do well for finish mowing too, BTW.

The others I wouldn't even consider...

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #3  
The IH 434 is a real machine but it has some draw backs. If it does not have power steering it will not take long before you regret the sale especially after you put the FEL on. They tend to have lousy brakes because if it is not stored in the dry the moisture rusts the mechanism. The brakes are dry disc and they were one of the reasons I got rid of my IH424.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options
Ya, I thought the hours were a bit high for an '89 670. I had a JD790 and I know I'll never come close to replacing that. Used it to buy a toy hauler for atv vacations. I guess we get better family time out of the trailer, but that 790 was SWEEET!

I guess I like the idea of smaller tractor for zipping in and out of our horse stalls. My son was reading about that 1801 and only complaint he's found is hard starting. Heck, I might even be able to do some side jobs with that unit.

the 434 is a 67-69 model year. I think i also saw a 414 with PS and lots of recent work done, in the same price range.

thanks for your thoughts and please keep the feedback coming, it's much appreciated.

okay, here's another one in the same price range. looks like more stuff done to it, but a bit older. It's an International 414, 1962.

"43 hp New Front Tires.,New Hydralic Puimp,New Starter,Alternator Converted,,Power Steering,2 Speed rearend,Possi Pedal,,,8ft Heavy Duty Rear Blade,Heavy Duty Battery,,Runs Great,,,Solid Running Engine,,Never Burns Oil" It has a FEL with big bucket.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #6  
I saw the 670 and the international on craigslist too. They appear to be in good shape. There is a place in washington with FELs for $1500 or $1700 installed. If i get a loader for my Yanmar, Im getting it there. Ive attached the pictures from those adds on here so we get an idea of what these tractors look like. Ive seen the bolens, it was nice too. The 670 does have a lot of hours but atleast parts are available as the others will be hard to get parts for. Have you looked at any Yanmar tractors? There is a 1300D yanmar with a FEL on craigslist for a good price. It is small but its size will make it easy to manuver around. I also saw a good deal on a 1500 yanmar with a FEL but it was a 2wd. It was in great shape though. I wish you luck with your purchase. Oh, That 670 looks kinda like my Yanmar. :D

Attachments

• ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 670 4.jpg
    670 4.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 670 3.jpg
    670 3.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 670 1.jpg
    670 1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 670 2.jpg
    670 2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 143
   / Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #7  
I see about 5 tractors for sale in my travel area, in my budget ($4,000, maybe 5K tops).I have 5 acres, mini horses. need to plow manure piles, move hog fuel with bucket, some fencing. would like to scrape sand ring and plant grass seed in areas. Maybe some finishing mowing. My land is mostly flat, with wet muck in winter. I'm not sure 4x4 is 100% required. A large bucket would be nice because hog fuel isn't heavy, but it's bulky and gets delivered in a big truck load, like 30 yards or more. These are what I've narrowed my choices down to, in my budget, in my area....

1)Ford 1801 industrial tractor with a backhoe and FEL. says it works, but it's older & slow (does that mean tired??). This one seems biggest and heaviest duty. 4 cycl diesel, selectomatic shifter (whatever that is). No hours indicated, & I assume 2wd.

2)Bolens Iseki,4x4, 20hp, diesel, FEL & a new 5' brush cutter (or mower). I've read on these forums that they are hard to find parts for. Again, no hours specified.

3)89 John Deere 670 4x4, new tires, 3800 hrs, brush hog, and 2-size post hole augger. Good condition, runs strong.** NO FEL. How much to get a FEL to fit this??

4)Mitsubishi Beaver 372, 2 cyl, 15 Hp diesel front loader and three point rear hitch

5)434 International tractor. Diesel ,Runs good,FEL, no idea of hours.

Part of my problem is that all of these require me to spend about a full day of travel to/from, to go check them out.So I really need to focus on one of them. I think any one of these would be good enough. Pretty sure they all have 3PT hitches (except that Ford 1801 with the backhoe). Altho I don't need backhoe, there are a few areas where I could use some trenching.

So which one would you focus on? WHich seems most intriguing? Any of them to totally avoid? I'm leaning to the Bolens or Mitsubishi.

I'd steer clear of that Ford industrial. That transmission may be the infamous Ford Select-o-Speed (SOS) tranny that costs a fortune to repair when it breaks.

You'll have better luck finding repair parts for the JD and the IH tractors you're eyeballing.

I'm going to pick up the IH B-414 later today. I didn't realize it's a gasoline engine! Oh well, sounds like it has lotsa HP and is better than what I have now (nothing!). It's hard to put the money on a 1962 unit when you see all these sleek CUTs, but I just can't afford them, or a payment.

thanks for the feedback.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #9  
Good Luck...hope it works out for you!

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #10  
I'm going to pick up the IH B-414 later today. I didn't realize it's a gasoline engine! Oh well, sounds like it has lotsa HP and is better than what I have now (nothing!). It's hard to put the money on a 1962 unit when you see all these sleek CUTs, but I just can't afford them, or a payment.

thanks for the feedback.

Gasser, diesel--if the engine has decent compression either one will do a good job.

Congrats on your purchase.

BTW: my 2008 Mahindra 5525 diesel (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny) is a descendent of the IH 414. Mahindra was licensed by IH in the early 1960s to build the 414 in India and a lot of IH design features remain in the larger Mahindra models (heavy, simple tractors, sheet metal instead of plastic, etc).