Best USED choice on my low budget?see options

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #11  
I'm going to pick up the IH B-414 later today. I didn't realize it's a gasoline engine! Oh well, sounds like it has lotsa HP and is better than what I have now (nothing!). It's hard to put the money on a 1962 unit when you see all these sleek CUTs, but I just can't afford them, or a payment.

thanks for the feedback.

Don't worry about it, my brothers still have a Ford NAA and couple of 600 Series built in the 50's and they still run great. Any tractor beats no tractor. These worked for us until we could get something newer/bigger; still use them from time to time.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #12  
i still use my 1946 h to rake hay, can't beat it.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #13  
If you got the 414 for a good price, it sounds like a good piece of equipment for what you want to do. It is a true small farm tractor. There are many sources for IH parts who will ship them. The biggest is Bates of Ohio, on the web you know. I would have told you to only look at american iron from the 60 or 70 as that was the hay day of american tractors, strong and dependable. In the long run you should be happy until you are ready for something bigger. Gas banger will do you fine, it will just cost more per hour to run than a disel. Little word of advice. Change the trans fluid when you get it and ONLY USE HY-TRANS from IH. Yes the junk at TSC will say it works, but that is far from the truth. Hy-Trans is a 30 weight oil, and the junk at TSC is usually 10 weight. IT will tear up your tractor if you try to use it.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options
previous owner told me he had changed all fluids. I'll double check with him and see what he put in the tranny.

I've got some hydraulic fluid leaks. when you have the bucket at it's extreme positions, it will squirt out fluid at a couple of different fittings, but only when it's at it's extreme and you stay on the controls.

idle is crazy high. needs some fine tuning on the linkage i think. HUGE, heavy 8 foot blade on the rear. should be good for plowing and maybe some grading.

came with wheel weights, calcium filled tires, tires like new, he did an alternator upgrade, and replaced all the hydraulic hoses, plus pump. might even be upgraded with full bucket controls. heavy duty battery.Canvas retractable canopy. starts/runs awesome. even got an owner's manual.

boy, she's pretty heavy! broke my ramps loading it, and the tires were quite squished on my 3500lb tandem axles. it's gotta be close to 7000lbs...just a guess. Of course, that rear blade is mega-heavy.

the bucket is very rough and I think I'll replace it. I'll post in the appropriate sections. All-in-all, I think I got an excellent deal for $3500, well a bit over $4000 by the time I pay taxes, convert currency, etc.. Heck, people want more than this for lawnmowers!!

thanks for all the replies. I know these types of.... "what tractor should I buy" posts get tiresome and redundant.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #15  
I'd steer clear of that Ford industrial. That transmission may be the infamous Ford Select-o-Speed (SOS) tranny that costs a fortune to repair when it breaks.

I agree they are trouble..!

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #16  
yep.. plus if I wanted a ford diesel.. I'd get 65+

soundguy

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #17  
What?? No pics??

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #18  
well congratulations on the tractor. You have any pictures? I remember seeing it on craigslist. It definatly was heavy duty.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #19  
Good choice getting the B-414. That BC 144 gasser is a great engine, made by Perkins. Same one I have in my '63 IH 3414, which is the industrial model of a B-414: heavier front axle, integral loader, higher capacity hydraulics for a backhoe, etc. I've had it for nearly 20 years, and cleared and maintained probably 20 acres of my brushy logged over land with only minimum repairs. The engine is still intact, burns no oil, & still has the original clutch. A few years ago I replaced the carburetor with one from a 4 cylinder Willys Jeep, and the previous owner had installed a different distributor in it. You gotta change the points, condensor, rotor & cap every couple of years, or it won't start when damp. Mine, anyway, was made in England, meaning Lucas electrics (expensive), and most of the hydraulic fittings and bolts are metric, but that's not been much of a problem. You just have to have both metric and SAE tools to work on one. Enjoy it, it probably will outlast most of us:D.....Dan.

/ Best USED choice on my low budget?see options #20  
previous owner told me he had changed all fluids. I'll double check with him and see what he put in the tranny.

I've got some hydraulic fluid leaks. when you have the bucket at it's extreme positions, it will squirt out fluid at a couple of different fittings, but only when it's at it's extreme and you stay on the controls.

idle is crazy high. needs some fine tuning on the linkage i think. HUGE, heavy 8 foot blade on the rear. should be good for plowing and maybe some grading.

came with wheel weights, calcium filled tires, tires like new, he did an alternator upgrade, and replaced all the hydraulic hoses, plus pump. might even be upgraded with full bucket controls. heavy duty battery.Canvas retractable canopy. starts/runs awesome. even got an owner's manual.

boy, she's pretty heavy! broke my ramps loading it, and the tires were quite squished on my 3500lb tandem axles. it's gotta be close to 7000lbs...just a guess. Of course, that rear blade is mega-heavy.

the bucket is very rough and I think I'll replace it. I'll post in the appropriate sections. All-in-all, I think I got an excellent deal for $3500, well a bit over $4000 by the time I pay taxes, convert currency, etc.. Heck, people want more than this for lawnmowers!!

thanks for all the replies. I know these types of.... "what tractor should I buy" posts get tiresome and redundant.

Not sure if it fits but pity you're not closer, I have a white IH loader with a really nice bucket off a 434 that i bought for a customer who wanted me to make a snow bucket for a skid steer and ended up cancelling because he bought a backhoe instead.
Very nice looking but has a few cracks in the frame and some hoses missing, I'd sell the whole lot mounts and all for $200 .
Buckets are around cheap though,I bought a new buhler 84in with no brackets on an auction for $400 ,cut the back out of my old bucket and welded to the new one to fit my european MF loader.

I thought all of these tractors were made in the UK, do you have any pics of it ???