Security & Theft best way to electrically prevent theft?

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #22  
MrJimi said:
Professional alarm with battery back-up with the loudest 2 sirens you can get and flashing lights
Jim
:)
I second your recommendation. You can get motion detectors that will turn on lights and alarms inside the shed and motion detector lights outside of the shed. If you have already been broken into twice, it will probably happen again. I would also at least get a battery shut off switch hidden on the tractor. Park the tractor so it can't be moved easily -park at an angle, turn the front wheels. back hoe and Fel down etc. Even simple things such as leaving your pto engaged so the tractor won't start, will also help.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #24  
I am just curious where bx24 lives. I guess I feel a little sorry for all of you who live live in areas that need this extra security. I understand because I lived in NYC, Chicago and Cincinnati where these are unfortunate security issues.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #25  
Unfortunately it is Anytown, USA nowadays.

I've been in my house for 25 years and have watched things change for the worse. Originally nothing ever happened in my area. It has steadily gotten worse with mostly property crimes steadily ramping up. Car break ins, home break ins, a LOT of ATV theft, and a LOT of trailer theft. See the state of SC doesn't require titling or registration on most utility trailers...easy pickings and almost never recovered. We don't require ATV titling or registration either...same deal, easily stolen, almost never found. No tractor titling either.

My plan is I keep my goodies out of sight as much as possible, if they don't know you have it they won't even try. My Kub stays in my garage and covered with a tarp. That way when I have the garage door open working on something all the passerbys don't see it. It is locked with a very heavy duty cable and padlock, but that just slows down the stupid. Large inexpensive bolt cutters or a $300 oxy/actylene rig can go through ANY lock in seconds. All you can do is make it easier to rob someone else who is more careless. :(

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #26  
That is a shame and crime does occur in our area, but I have never had a problem where I live. Perhaps it is only a matter of time. I have good neighbors, who granted can't see my house because it is woodsy. We never lock our house unless we are going a way for a vacation, because someone could easily come in, not be seen, and steal everything.

Perhaps criminals are afraid they would be greeted with a gun barrel here in hunting land. Also as a college professor, I am often at home when others are working.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #27  
park it on a piece of expanded metal
hook a hot wire to the tractor and the ground to the expand metal
work for all kinds of critters

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #28  
chucko said:
park it on a piece of expanded metal
hook a hot wire to the tractor and the ground to the expand metal
work for all kinds of critters
You beat me to it!! An old spark coil, some chicken wire, a battery charger, and a wireless game cam!! Hours of fun!! JUST DON'T FORGET IT'S ON!!:eek:

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #29  
smfcpacfp said:
I am just curious where bx24 lives. I guess I feel a little sorry for all of you who live live in areas that need this extra security. I understand because I lived in NYC, Chicago and Cincinnati where these are unfortunate security issues.
Before moving to PA. I was in Woodstock, Ct and anyone who knows that area, it is a sleepily little, off the tracks community. Two hours from Boston and New York City and an 1/2 hour from Hartford CT. When the police were there investigating my first break-in :mad: the officer commented on the crack problem in the area. I looked at him and inquired if he was talking about plumbers crack? :rolleyes: No, he said crack cocaine. :eek: I then started locking everything.

/ best way to electrically prevent theft? #30  
bx24 said:
I am looking for opinions on how best to disable a tractor to prevent (or at least slow down) theft. Since it seems as though all Kubota keys are alike (at least for the small tractors), what is a good way to interrupt the electrical system to prevent a little diesel tractor from starting?

There was a big discussion about this in ? the safety? forum I think.. a while back.

Sadly... if a theif wants it bad enough.. they will get it.

Tractor ignition systems are as easy to bypass as it gets. A spare battery and a handfull of aligator clip cables is all it takes for the vast majority of them.. that and a high school level electronics class.

The argument to physically disable the tractor by removing a wheel or similar places so much extra work ont he user as to be prohibitive.. yet.. 1-good roll off truck and the theif will still get it.. and the wheel laying on the ground beside it too.

A cheap abrasive saw ( walmart has an 18v one that uses 4" cutoff blades for under 30$ ) will cut just about any chain or steel cable you can feasably use to secure your tractor... If not.. a portable gas axe will..

Soundguy