Best way to secure tractor

/ Best way to secure tractor #1  

DMF

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1552 Cab Model
What is the best way to secure a tractor to a trailer for hauling? Any photos would be helpful...

/ Best way to secure tractor #2  
What tractor do u have

/ Best way to secure tractor
Massey Ferguson 1552 cab model. I have an 18' Hudson pro series trailer (16' deck with 2' beavertail) 4 ton capacity.

/ Best way to secure tractor #4  
I use 4 individual 10' long tie downs from all 4 corners. My tractor has hooks on each back corner near the draw bar and on the front I replaced 2 of the mounting bolts for the FEL with forged hooks. I go out a about a 45 deg angle. I also throw a strap over whatever implement I have on the 3 point.

I also like backing my tractor on the trailer. It seems to ride better and balance the load better.

Chris

/ Best way to secure tractor #5  
What is the best way to secure a tractor to a trailer for hauling? Any photos would be helpful...

There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. Every tractor on every trailer is different, if you are looking for an answer better than "with chains and binders". If you post some pictures with the tractor on the trailer it would help a lot. It also matters what the laws are in your state. Here in California, "legally" you need 4 independent attachment points. You can use 2 chains but each tie down point has to have its own binder and if one comes undone it cannot affect the others.

Brian

/ Best way to secure tractor #6  
You can get by with two chains. Take the first and run it over your grill gaurd and run t the front of the trail in a 45deg angle. For the back run the chain threw the tie down hole next to your draw bar and run them to the rear of the trailer in a 45 deg angle also. Use a rachet style boomer to tighten the chain. you will be just fine securing it like this.:thumbsup:

/ Best way to secure tractor #7  
Here in California, "legally" you need 4 independent attachment points. You can use 2 chains but each tie down point has to have its own binder and if one comes undone it cannot affect the others.

Brian

Same in Indiana. I think the cut off is above 3,000#. Anything under that you can secure with twine from the steering wheel if you want. Just at Taco Bell for lunch today and seen a compactor that had to weight 800# secured to the trailer with 3 bungee cords. 2 from the front and 1 from the rear. Scary.

Chris

/ Best way to secure tractor
You can get by with two chains. Take the first and run it over your grill gaurd and run t the front of the trail in a 45deg angle. For the back run the chain threw the tie down hole next to your draw bar and run them to the rear of the trailer in a 45 deg angle also. Use a rachet style boomer to tighten the chain. you will be just fine securing it like this.:thumbsup:

I haven't moved my tractor yet but I move my friend's Ford 2010(?) a 40hp cab tractor and this is pretty much what I did for tieing it down. It seemed like a good way to bind it down to me (I even got some "squish" out of the rear tires) but I wanted to check here to see what you guys thought.

/ Best way to secure tractor #9  

I know its done all the time but 2 chains are only legal if they are not dependent on each other. Say you use one on the front and one on the rear. Lets say the rear one comes loose or breaks now the load can shift forward. The law around here is over 3,000# I think it must be for seperate tie downs. That way if one breaks like in the example I posted above you still have one preventing it from coming forward. This still can be done with 2 chains but you will need 4 binders and the chains must be secured in a fashion that its not dependent on the other.

Again, like I said its down the way you stated all the time and 99.9999% of the time nothing happens but its not legal. A easy fix is cut your chains in 1/2 then get hooks if you want to or not, you do not need them. 4 binders and you are good to go.

Chris

/ Best way to secure tractor #10  
For the record, I hate ratcheting binders. I am never confident of how tight I have gotten them. Not to mention, half the time I go to use them they are rusted and won't move or they are collapsed all of the way and have to be unthreaded. I'm an over-center binder guy. I am always confident of how tight they are, get a piece of pipe and bind them down. I was taught to chain them down like you you were going to drive a hundred miles an hour. Of course the guy that taught me that figured that if the trailer touched the ground more than twice he was driving too slow. Not the recommended way to tow, but it did teach me to secure his load.

Brian