Best way to secure tractor

/ Best way to secure tractor #11  
I know its done all the time but 2 chains are only legal if they are not dependent on each other. Say you use one on the front and one on the rear. Lets say the rear one comes loose or breaks now the load can shift forward. The law around here is over 3,000# I think it must be for seperate tie downs. That way if one breaks like in the example I posted above you still have one preventing it from coming forward. This still can be done with 2 chains but you will need 4 binders and the chains must be secured in a fashion that its not dependent on the other.

Again, like I said its down the way you stated all the time and 99.9999% of the time nothing happens but its not legal. A easy fix is cut your chains in 1/2 then get hooks if you want to or not, you do not need them. 4 binders and you are good to go.

Chris

Chris you are right in saying 4 is better. Where i live as long as its farm use u can use two. Anything commercialy you have to use 4.

/ Best way to secure tractor #12  
For the record, I hate ratcheting binders. I am never confident of how tight I have gotten them. Not to mention, half the time I go to use them they are rusted and won't move or they are collapsed all of the way and have to be unthreaded. I'm an over-center binder guy. I am always confident of how tight they are, get a piece of pipe and bind them down. I was taught to chain them down like you you were going to drive a hundred miles an hour. Of course the guy that taught me that figured that if the trailer touched the ground more than twice he was driving too slow. Not the recommended way to tow, but it did teach me to secure his load.

Brian

Over the center binders are ok i just dont care for them. Seen too many people get their teeth knock out and also seen the binders snap loose. I dont have to worry about that with the ratchet ones. But to each their on.

/ Best way to secure tractor #13  
Over the center binders are ok i just dont care for them. Seen too many people get their teeth knock out and also seen the binders snap loose. I dont have to worry about that with the ratchet ones. But to each their on.

Yep, that is why they make both types.

Chris

/ Best way to secure tractor #14  
For the people that don't like ratcheting load binders and want something safer than the regular "over center" knock-you-senseless-if-they-slip loadbinders, they do make "Safety Release Lever Loadbinders"
H5250-4152.jpg

About halfway down this page they list one.

"This lever style binder design allows the user to release the binder tension without any kickback of the handle typical of a lever style binder. The center body of the binder independently rotates, free of the handle, to release the tension smoothly and easily. This makes it a safer binder to use than other lever style binders and eliminates the chance for injuries from the handle swinging with substantial force when released. Design Factor 3.5:1."

You should always securely fasten the handle to the main body when using lever style loadbinders...all it takes is a little piece of haywire. Some even have a built in tab that you can put a padlock on.
15298_lg.jpg

/ Best way to secure tractor #15  
Over- center binders (boomers) will not come loose if they are in good shape and tightened enough!

And they'll only knock your teeth out if you get your teeth in the way!!! :D

I've always used them for the bigger tractors & equipment. Now that I don't have anything over 3000#, I use the 10,000# straps. ~~ grnspot110

/ Best way to secure tractor #16  
Over- center binders (boomers) will not come loose if they are in good shape and tightened enough!

I've always used them for the bigger tractors & equipment. Now that I don't have anything over 3000#, I use the 10,000# straps. ~~ grnspot110

Exactly:thumbsup:

/ Best way to secure tractor #17  

Im glad u never had one come loose but over the last 17 years ive seen plenty of them pop loose that were plenty tight. Never said my way was the right way for everyone i just prefer the ratchet style.

/ Best way to secure tractor
I've used both types of binders and since I've found the ratcheting ones I can't see where I'd ever go back. I feel I can get them tighter than the over-the-center style and I keep all of that stuff in a tool box so having them rust and bind up shouldn't be an issue; they are very similar to a standard top link for tractor which often sit outside for years and still work...?

/ Best way to secure tractor #19  
I back my tractor on. I secure the front with chains and rachet binders until the tractor moves. I then hook HD rachet straps to the front corner of the trailer and hook them on the drawbar frame. I then get on the tractor and drop the loader until it contacts the floor and make sure I set the brake. I then walk arond the trailer and check all 4 points to see that they are taunt.

/ Best way to secure tractor
At what weight do you guys feel chains are better than web straps, or, at what size or weight do you guys stop using straps and go to chains?