Best way to secure tractor

/ Best way to secure tractor #21  
At what weight do you guys feel chains are better than web straps, or, at what size or weight do you guys stop using straps and go to chains?

I put chains on everything. I tried the straps and end up getting cuts in them from rubbing on the tractor frame.

/ Best way to secure tractor #22  
At what weight do you guys feel chains are better than web straps, or, at what size or weight do you guys stop using straps and go to chains?

I use straps upto 5,000# but many will disagree. I would say a safe rule of thumb is 3,000# and up should use 4 independent chains.

Chris

/ Best way to secure tractor #23  
I use straps upto 5,000# but many will disagree. I would say a safe rule of thumb is 3,000# and up should use 4 independent chains.

Chris

I would think the use of straps is all about technique. As long as they can't get cut from sharp edges, rubbing against something else, etc.... they should be OK as long as they are rated.

Now, a guy (or gal) being able to "read" his/her load to ENSURE that the straps do not get cut during shipping is where the experience comes into play. What is not rubbing in the parking lot may not hold true truckin' down the road!

/ Best way to secure tractor #24  
I would think the use of straps is all about technique. As long as they can't get cut from sharp edges, rubbing against something else, etc.... they should be OK as long as they are rated.

Now, a guy (or gal) being able to "read" his/her load to ENSURE that the straps do not get cut during shipping is where the experience comes into play. What is not rubbing in the parking lot may not hold true truckin' down the road!

Best thing I did was order 8 of them plastic strap protectors and 4 24" axle straps. They have stopped all the fraying issues.

Chris

/ Best way to secure tractor #25  
I've used straps up to 6000 or so. But that's only because I had no chains/binders at the time.

My straps are now pushing 2-3 years old and for the 100$ or so they cost I won't ever use straps for vehicles again. They cost too much $$ and get destroyed way too fast!

Straps last a lot longer for securing loads that need a wide contact area, and / or more sensitive and only need to be slightly snug. :laughing:

So, binders for metal/vehicles, straps for other stuff is what I`m doing lately. :D