Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket
jcmseven said:
Nuru,

I went with the Gator and find myself using it far more than any tractor I have owned. It is so convenient and works very well. I agree with D. about the GAS Gator being a bit underpowered, if you are getting a Gator go with the diesel. It really does have more power. They are well-made and solid machines. I am not exactly sure what D. means about "kinda behind" in the UTV space. I have a diesel XUV with aftermarket wheels and tires, the power dump, winch, and power steering. It is a really good machine. Not as fast as a Ranger, but pulls some better and seems to handle a load really well.
Tough to beat the JD warranty also.

John M
JC are you saying the XUV diesel can pull better than the Polaris Ranger? I thought the Ranger had more capability in the towing department?

I think part of the "behind" is that JD does not offer some of the features that the Polaris has standard.

ddivinia said:
I have more hours on my HPX than my 4720, but my 5525 has way more hours than all the other gear.

A new XUV - hard call between a gas or diesel. The lack of a clutch enclosure on the diesel XUV is a major mistake on JD's part

You added the power steering.

I wish JD would add another row of seating. The Ranger is a serious machine, I still like the green paint on my HPX and the bucket seats. I would have bought another JD, but I need more seating.

I did put the Ranger key on a John Deere key chain in protest. :)

D.

Diesel would keep it similar to my other power equipment, but I am not oppossed to gas that much as to spend the bucks just to get diesel in this case.

How much fuel does the XUV gator hold?

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket #14  
Nuru said:
JC are you saying the XUV diesel can pull better than the Polaris Ranger? I thought the Ranger had more capability in the towing department?

I think part of the "behind" is that JD does not offer some of the features that the Polaris has standard.

I know my new Ranger crew is rated for pulling 1 ton. I don't remember what it is on my HPX. I have to say - the HPX has pulled everything I ever hooked to it.

D.

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket #15  
Nuru said:
Diesel would keep it similar to my other power equipment, but I am not oppossed to gas that much as to spend the bucks just to get diesel in this case.

Yeah - I wanted to keep diesel so I could use my farm fuel, etc.

No clutch enclosure on the JD diesel makes no sense to me.

D.

ddivinia said:
I know my new Ranger crew is rated for pulling 1 ton. I don't remember what it is on my HPX. I have to say - the HPX has pulled everything I ever hooked to it.

D.
I believe the XUV is rated at 1200 - 1400 pounds, but can pull more.

ddivinia said:
XUV = 5.3 G

D.

Thanks. At first gander, the JD diesel has the cost advantage with that even though diesel is more expensive per gallon. However it depends how long each will run when working hard?:eek:

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket #19  
Nuru said:
Thanks. At first gander, the JD diesel has the cost advantage with that even though diesel is more expensive per gallon. However it depends how long each will run when working hard?:eek:

I've got an older 2WD Classic Gator....10HP Kawasaki I believe. Use it to pull a trailer and haul firewood around. The trailer is good for one ton as I recall, one of those Country Mfg. tandem axle things. Gator pulls it fine though, with firewood, it probably doesn't get over 1000#.

Interesting thing is that the Gator hardly uses any fuel. It'll go all year and part of the next on a tankful (which is 5 gallons at most). I think it's because you really don't ever "work" them. You just load 'em up, run to your unload point, and shut down. The engine rarely runs for any great stretch of time and, when it does pull hard, it doesn't pull hard for long.

I can't imagine wanting to go 40mph on one of those things. You must have huge acreage or needs much different than mine.

Seems like you could save some coin by getting something less than the best. Though I admit the 2WD can become helpless in slushy snow.
Bob

Bob_Young said:
I've got an older 2WD Classic Gator....10HP Kawasaki I believe. Use it to pull a trailer and haul firewood around. The trailer is good for one ton as I recall, one of those Country Mfg. tandem axle things. Gator pulls it fine though, with firewood, it probably doesn't get over 1000#.

Interesting thing is that the Gator hardly uses any fuel. It'll go all year and part of the next on a tankful (which is 5 gallons at most). I think it's because you really don't ever "work" them. You just load 'em up, run to your unload point, and shut down. The engine rarely runs for any great stretch of time and, when it does pull hard, it doesn't pull hard for long.

I can't imagine wanting to go 40mph on one of those things. You must have huge acreage or needs much different than mine.

Seems like you could save some coin by getting something less than the best. Though I admit the 2WD can become helpless in slushy snow.
Bob
That is the trick - the Polaris is very close to the price of the JD diesel versions and the JD financing is higher!:mad:

So i just got to llok at the options and see how much i really want to spend and what I want to but. Comfort will be a key

Hey i could pull a trailer up a hill with this

2008 Polaris Ranger RZR
LOL!

RZR looks fun but not much use for me - the kids and wife sure might use it alot - I can't move too many bags of mulch with this!