Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket
I agree on the 40 mph - that seems kinda risky or at least the potential for embarrassment is significantly increased.

I think I am going to take a look at the Polaris units tomorrow at a local dealer and see how they are.

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket #23  
Nuru,

The Ranger is rated to pull more than the JD, but mainly this is due to JD's policy of not wanting people (such as myself) to do many stupid pulling things. I have done them though. My diesel Gator has pulled my 18' GatorMade trailer (14K rating) up our gravel drive so that I could hook it to my neighbor's truck when he borrows it. This is a drive that approaches if not exceeds 20% in some places and the trailer weighes 2550# UNLOADED. The diesel lugged it to the top and the rear of the Gator barely squatted. So, it can pull much more than its rating suggests. I suppose in my previous post I was referring to the fact I have found my diesel Gator XUV pulls WELL, meaning it handles the load behind it well. I regularly pull my small trailer (about 700# empty) loaded to the brim with dirt, or mulch or landscaping rocks. The other day, I hauled 100 15# wall blocks in the trailer for a total weight of 2200#. It did so without problem. I am sure the Polaris would do the same, but the point here being the JD XUV is capable of more than the numbers would suggest.

John M

jcmseven said:
Nuru,

The Ranger is rated to pull more than the JD, but mainly this is due to JD's policy of not wanting people (such as myself) to do many stupid pulling things. I have done them though. My diesel Gator has pulled my 18' GatorMade trailer (14K rating) up our gravel drive so that I could hook it to my neighbor's truck when he borrows it. This is a drive that approaches if not exceeds 20% in some places and the trailer weighes 2550# UNLOADED. The diesel lugged it to the top and the rear of the Gator barely squatted. So, it can pull much more than its rating suggests. I suppose in my previous post I was referring to the fact I have found my diesel Gator XUV pulls WELL, meaning it handles the load behind it well. I regularly pull my small trailer (about 700# empty) loaded to the brim with dirt, or mulch or landscaping rocks. The other day, I hauled 100 15# wall blocks in the trailer for a total weight of 2200#. It did so without problem. I am sure the Polaris would do the same, but the point here being the JD XUV is capable of more than the numbers would suggest.

John M
Oh JC no question it can pull more than it is rated. The Polaris is rated at 1 ton to start so it must be able to pull quite a bit. However it is not a diesel so the two might be more even than we might all think.

funny thing i started working with a dealer last night on a potential trade in of my 4310 however the numbers at first chat were not too good :mad:($12k in trade - not a chance!:eek:). however I am gonna send them pics of my unit so they can do a visual via the pics. I did this with my 4100 and I came out of that pretty well - still trying to see if I can get a 3x20 Cab with my flawless low hour 4310 as bait!

2003 4310 - < 86 hours
72" MMM - < 86 hours
Frontier 72" Boom mounted blade (bought new last year)
300CX loader, 61" bucket (bought new last year)
1 set of SuperTurf Tires and Wheels (very little wear - 24 hours)
1 set of Turfs and Wheels (60 hours)

They want $24k for a new 3320 with a 300x - I would want to either keep my 300CX or get another one.
so i ma kinda all over the map this week - might just end up getting UV, might get the cab tractor.

Last edited:
Update - saw the Polaris rangers my take:

UVs are pretty good, they are a bit more comfortable than the Gators
They are pretty tall but they have a large amount of wheel travel and they are designed to keep the CG low.

Saw the Ranger vs XUV video by Polaris
Also Saw the Yamaha produced Rhino Vs Ranger video

The Ranger appears to be a very good and versatile machine - provides you some sport and work uses.

Nuru said:
Oh JC no question it can pull more than it is rated. The Polaris is rated at 1 ton to start so it must be able to pull quite a bit. However it is not a diesel so the two might be more even than we might all think.

funny thing i started working with a dealer last night on a potential trade in of my 4310 however the numbers at first chat were not too good :mad:($12k in trade - not a chance!:eek:). however I am gonna send them pics of my unit so they can do a visual via the pics. I did this with my 4100 and I came out of that pretty well - still trying to see if I can get a 3x20 Cab with my flawless low hour 4310 as bait!

2003 4310 - < 86 hours
72" MMM - < 86 hours
Frontier 72" Boom mounted blade (bought new last year)
300CX loader, 61" bucket (bought new last year)
1 set of SuperTurf Tires and Wheels (very little wear - 24 hours)
1 set of Turfs and Wheels (60 hours)

They want $24k for a new 3320 with a 300x - I would want to either keep my 300CX or get another one.
so i ma kinda all over the map this week - might just end up getting UV, might get the cab tractor.

Well round 1 trade-in value upped to 15k, I keep SuperTurfs, the new unit would come with 300CX, I would owe some bucks:mad: - need to get the amount owed down a bit.:rolleyes:

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket #27  
Polaris left me with bad taste after our ranger 6x6 needed a camshaft at 225 hours ,not covered even though the dealer said that they had replaced a lot of them. We don't put many hours on it but after the cam it still ran lousy at half throttle or more . Had the dealer pick it up and fix it again,got a new needle valve and they put the air cleaner on the right way this time along with a pretty good bill and pickup/drop off charge. We keep it in a heated area and if it is not started for a week or two it is very tough to start. It has no power steering and the belt drive can be kind of jumpy. Tried to trade it in an a new one with the injected 700cc but the trade in value was a joke. Got a Kubota RTV 900 last year for another location and couldn't be happier. Power steering ,power dump, 3 speed hydro starts easily even though it is not kept in a heated area. I think it depends on what you need it for , the Ranger is better for severe off road and the RTV is much better for all around work. I did try the Gator and there was no contest agaist the Kujbota, the one we drove was belt drive though.

/ Bigger bucket, Gator, or keep same bucket #28  
Is there a Ranger v XUV video?? I have only seen a Ranger/HPX video??? Can someone link this for me if there is one?

John M

jcmseven said:
Is there a Ranger v XUV video?? I have only seen a Ranger/HPX video??? Can someone link this for me if there is one?

John M
I saw it at a Polaris dealer, it was on a DVD. It has some interesting scenes. One was a pair of races between the JD and the Ranger 500, the Ranfger smoked the JD both times, and the second time it was with a load of a few cement bags, i believe.

Another update got quote from dealer, might just do bare tractor and loader, get a 3rd party RFM and a frame mounted blade later on. Mentioned it in passing to the wife - no huge objection! I also sat in a 3720 Cab today and I really don't remember the series being so small. However the cab has a lot of room for me. Might pull the trigger on this actually - if I can get the monthly to where I would want it.