Blueberries

/ Blueberries #51  
The ol’ pine tree , chicken or the egg theory.
Did the pine tree make the soil acidic, or do pine trees simply thrive in acidic soil, like blueberries do? 😀

Pines have a high tolerance for different soil ph. We have the same species of pines growing on alkaline limestone soil, and semi-acidic soil. Pine needles are mildly acidic. Ultimately blueberries need acidic or at least neutral soil to thrive. It’s hard to continually amend soil ph, so they are best suited for locations that have those native properties.

/ Blueberries #54  
New world record blueberry, 20.4gm/0.7oz
split-image-of-heaviest-blueberry_tcm25-767761.jpg

/ Blueberries #57  
New world record blueberry, 20.4gm/0.7oz
split-image-of-heaviest-blueberry_tcm25-767761.jpg

What a hoot! I saw an article on this on the BBC website today. According to the grower:

"It's a different experience, eating a berry that is that large.

"We see it more as people who are consuming them as snacks, more than maybe the traditional uses in breakfasts and baking. But certainly, the flavour and the firmness is there - it's got a really nice crunch to it and a high level of blueberry aromatics."
Australian farm grows world's biggest blueberry

/ Blueberries #58  
I always thought that blueberries like "dry feet", we've got acres of wild high bush blueberries that grow in what's basically a peat bog and 90% of the time there's standing water and we wear knee high boots to pick.
Walking through and among them is very difficult and we've never looked for or come to the end of them.
The berries small, 3/8-1/2 is about the max. We've planted some of the hybrid big berry variety in the yard and garden for convenience. Our wild berries are a 15 minute ride away in the utv on the far side of our land and ever since a close encounter with a black bear my wife won't go alone.
24E2B8CC-2CE5-4239-9418-B9C85E10E96A_1_105_c.jpeg

We pick in the area center left side of the picture. Everything to the left of the river is our back line.

/ Blueberries #59  
Love those wild blueberries! The Costcos in our area occasionally have seasonal wild blueberries, I think from Canada. Small, like those in Maine that Rustyrion describes. Seem to be sweeter than the larger Kirkland cultivated blueberries that are available at Costco year-round.

/ Blueberries #60  
Mine are at my place in Mississippi. Have about 20 plants. Never seen a bird eat any,nor the deer(heavy population). Mulch with pine straw.Usually get about five gallons. Last year we had a hard freeze around March 15. The bushes already bloomed, and we only got two pints! Let the little sprouts come up. Very easy to propagate. Have about 25 started in pots. Check out U tube.