Board Fence Build - pictures and a question

/ Board Fence Build - pictures and a question #21  
I agree with "randy41", a Prazi Beam Cutter is the tool to use.

Attachments

• 41CH96UVBtL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41CH96UVBtL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 265
   / Board Fence Build - pictures and a question
Gator6x4 said:
I agree with "randy41", a Prazi Beam Cutter is the tool to use.

Well I looked at them. Pretty bad a**! But I have access to a very small chain saw. I also won't have to worry about dragging out the generator.

Thank you.
You know I don't do this work often. Unless it were at a time when I didn't need my tractor for other tasks on the farm it would have to be close to home. Close enough that I can drive it back. This job was literally 1/4 mile away.

/ Board Fence Build - pictures and a question #25  
I use a chain that I build a steel jig for that sets on the top rail if the fence. The jig a has a slot in it that interfaces with a piece of steel that is bolted to the bar of a small chain saw (12" or 14" bar) that holds the bar at 12ー angle in my case about 1" up from the top rail. One thing is to do is mount the chain saw so the clutch is facing down so it will not get clogged up with saw dust/chips.

Josh gave me the idea for the jig. :thumbsup:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/156233-board-fence.html#post1808469

146159d1258666224-board-fence-june08-069.jpg

146157d1258666224-board-fence-june08-065.jpg

dieselscout80 said:
I use a chain that I build a steel jig for that sets on the top rail if the fence. The jig a has a slot in it that interfaces with a piece of steel that is bolted to the bar of a small chain saw...

I thought about a jig that would slide across the top rail and touch the backs of the posts.

/ Board Fence Build - pictures and a question #27  
That is a really cool jig set up. Looks like it made quick work of that part of the job.

Curious about how long for the whole project?

damartin said:
Nice job on the fence, looks good. Here is a link to a saw for sale that would probably work for you.

Makita 16 inch Circular Saw

Thank you.

I can't justify buying one knowing I'll probably never need it again. I have enough stuff as it is. LOL

CBW1999 said:
Curious about how long for the whole project?

I guess you meant me?

About 3.5 hours driving posts. Including a little figuring along the way. 2 hours getting them plumb. About 5 getting the boards up.

Usually 2 people working but 3 when the boards went up. One to nail, one to hold the boards in place and one to make sure we had boards on the ground where we needed and various other tasks.

We staggered the joints starting with a full 16' on the first and third boards and a 8' on the second and fourth. As we went along we put only one nail per board per post. Speeds things along and makes fixing boo boos easier. We used a wood block between the boards to get the correct spacing. After we got done two of us grabbed hammers and put another nail in each board.

The only time we used a tape measure was when I set the chop saw up to cut the facer boards. :)