Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305

/ Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305
Having almost no previous tractor experience. Taking a 30-60 minute test drive could I really feel or see the advantage of one vs the other? :confused:

Bobcat dealer has large dirt pile and great area behind their buildings to test machine out. They are tuned in and encourage customers to test equipment out.
Deere dealer only has parking lot and very small lawn to test drive on.

BTW posted the Bobcat specs.

This is a difficult decision. Thanks to all for your input.

Attachments

• Bobcat specs 1.pdf
    940.4 KB · Views: 505
   / Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305 #22  
Even if they don't let you dig you can still see how much room you have in the operator station. How does the hydro feel smooth, notchy, turning radius, can you reach the loader lever ok with out reaching for it? How does the 3pt hitch work? Loader speed of operation. Take the loader on and off. How easy is it? Put it in high range rev the throttle and take off and see how the engine handles the load. Does it bog? Can you reach all the controls easily. Chech to make sure the dealer has all common service items in stock. If you needed a part whats the time line to get a part. Dealer reputation. The machine will only as good as the CO/dealer behind it. It will not be an easy decision but a test drive will atleast give you a direction. Yuo will get all kinds of opinions on the board but you are the one that has to use the machine. That is why I think seat time is the best. A good salesman for any brand will recognize that. Hope that helps alittle.

/ Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305 #23  
Not to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but have you considered adding a Yanmar/Cub Cadet SC2400 to the comparison?

I compared it to the 2305 and chose the Yanmar. Why? Because it's made by Yanmar (the same folks that used to make the JDs before they outsourced to who-knows-where). The only part of this thing that appears to be made by CC is the MMM, which is actually quite impressive in both quality and performance.

I've got only about 25 hours on the tractor so far, but am very impressed with its ability and the way it's put together overall. Actually, the only complaint I have so far is the lack of a toolbox.

I paid about $13,500 for the tractor, 60" MMM, and FEL.

/ Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305 #24  
New guy here. When I first started researching CUTs I was looking pretty heavily at the 2305. Three things that I couldn't get past though were the lack of hydraulic cooling (and the resulting reports of overheating hydraulics), low flow capacity hydraulics (slow loader), and the limited cat-1 hitch. It looks like the Bobcat you're looking at covers all of those and adds other nice things to have like a foldable rops and 3-point position control.

You're really looking at two different classes of tractor here (sub-compact vs. compact). The smaller Deere would probably be better for mowing, but the specs of the Bobcat indicate that it would have an easier time with any loader or 3-point work. Figure out what your primary use for the tractor will be and that should focus your decision pretty quickly.

/ Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305 #25  
I get tired of people thinking HP makes a tractor. Comparing sub compacts to compacts is like comparing a riding lawn mower to the sub compact. You can put 50 HP to a go cart, but a tractor it doesn't make.

/ Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305 #26  
I looked at JD and to be honest I have always wanted one. Growing up it's all I ever saw in the fields around here. I can't afford JD. Similar machines from the what some would call the second tier OEM's are THOUSANDS less. If all the money is going overseas anyway, I have no problem buying a tractor with a foreign name on it.

Good luck with your decision. I don't know much about the two you're looking at but you've got at least one person on here who has owned both (Kioti version anayway) and is willing to offer his opinion, which is what you seem to be looking for.

Last edited:
   / Bobcat CT120 vs Deere 2305 #27  
Raptor53 said:
I have no idea what the specs on the Bobcat CT120 are, but just find a comparable Deere tractor, and get the Deere instead. When it comes to tractors, there is probably no comparison between the two brands. Deere is known for making the highest quality tractors out there. Bobcat might be good too, but with Deere you know you are getting the best quality out there.

This HAS to be true. The John Deere Marketing folks says it's so. And we ALL know they wouldn't try to trick us. ;)

Take it from someone who's made a living with his tractors for near 40 years now. I've owned several new Deere tractors and lots of their implements. I've owned several other brands. Here's what I've learned on my own, WITHOUT falling victim to the sales propaganda from the guys in the add dept at Moline Illinois.

NO BRAND has an across the board lead in quality. SOME MODELS with-in individual brands have an advantage over some of their competition. To paint with broad strokes and say "Deere is known for making the highest quality tractors out there" is an instant loss of credibility with me. It's simply not true in broad general terms. They have their issues, they've produced their share of lemons.

Deere sells an image. They sell hype. Sure, they have a really good product in general, but from someone who's had the opportunity to own several brands and run them side by side, to think no one else has their equal in quality, craftsmanship, and value is a naive thought that just doesn't hold up to real world experience.

LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
I get tired of people thinking HP makes a tractor. Comparing sub compacts to compacts is like comparing a riding lawn mower to the sub compact. You can put 50 HP to a go cart, but a tractor it doesn't make.

So horse power is not a factor when comparing tractors?

From what i understand, Bobcat released their first couple of models this past fall and will be releasing several more compacts in 2008 (hopefully b-4 summer is over). For a total of 9.

Last edited:
Jim,

I see you have a Kioti tractor.
How long have you had it and would you buy another?

So Bobcat and Kioti are the exact same machine other than paint scheme?