Bought the Wife a Droid

/ Bought the Wife a Droid
I like the small size of my "dumb" phone. I always have it in my pocket so I seldom miss any calls or forget to bring it with me.
I am afraid of smart phones because I couldn't easily get it in my pocket (so it would not always be with me) and I think I would hate the cost of the data plans. Also have to be careful with them or buy insurance. At my daughter's university, there were several gangs that were just grabbing the phones out of girls hands and running away with them. They can cost $600 to replace if they are lost.

How much do the data plans cost if you use them to search the web but don't download music or video? My daughter's data plan was only $30/month, but I hear stories of $90/month.

Verizons data plans start at $30, for 2Gigabit, actually right now it is 4gigabit if you sign up soon, If you want your phone to create a "hotspot" so you can browse the web with your computer using the phone as the access point then that is another $20 per month, but it comes with another 2Gig. so we got 6Gig per month for the 50 bucks. Took the insurance for $6. As pointed out the stinking phone is about $600 bucks. So it seemed wise at the time..Yes I was against the smartphones too, but I see the business use of it for the wife in her business (independant insurance agent) The hotspot function was important to her. And after playing with the thing for an hour or two, I am pretty impressed with what it can do.. For years I always had a Motorola flip phone, which worked well as a phone, It didn't even have a camera in it. I am old, but I have kinda changed my tune about these things.. Let me tell you guys it is 10 lbs of "stuff" in a 1 lb. bag. And it does one heck of a lot. The first night is sat there and said "Droid" every time an email came in to her 2 email accounts. Fixed that the first thing the next morning (no audio notifications for email) But overall pretty cool machine.

James K0UA

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #22  
When you said droid, I pictured something like these...

images

May the farce be with you...

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #23  
I have 5 gigs of data for $20 a month, insurance is $6. SWMBO just upgraded to an LG Optimus, we share 1500 daytime minutes and each have unlimited minutes after 7 PM, unlimited mobile to mobile, unlimited text, and 5 gigs of data. With insurance and all taxes we pay $152 per month. US Cellular is the carrier. Her phone cost a penny by using rewards points.

/ Bought the Wife a Droid
When you said droid, I pictured something like these...

images

May the farce be with you...

Well I think an R2D2 unit could be useful, but that mouthy C3PO, I would cut up for scrap.:D

James K0UA

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #25  
Redneck in training said:
Eddie,
Research the battery life before you buy. My wife has Samsung. The one with the touch screen. It is great but battery life is a joke. She has it for a while so they might be better now.

Battery life is fine. Most people don't know how to set them up or bother to find out then complain about the battery life. Task killers and virus scans are a waste. I get a full day out of my phone and I use the crap out of it. Our I.T. guy in work has the Droid X and he has gotten up to 3 days on a single charge but he rooted and is like a mad scientist. Do the research, like anything. There's a couple good forums with a lot of good info. Android police and Droid fans are a couple.

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #26  
Eddie,
Research the battery life before you buy. My wife has Samsung. The one with the touch screen. It is great but battery life is a joke. She has it for a while so they might be better now.

I've read all sorts of stories about battery life and went with the Droid over the Iphone because of all the issues I've heard about the batteires with the Iphone. Mine was great for the first six months, but then all of a sudden, it started dying on my in just a few hours. I'm constantly getting updates and think one of them became a power hog. I deleted facebook and went to a different ap, and now I'm good for power all day on my Droid.

I have a charger in my truck, next to my desk and next to my bed because of the battery issue that I was having. Now I don't need them and just plug it in at night.

Mine is a touch screen and I carry it in my pocket all day. It's half the size of my wallet, and after having it awhile, I'm wanting to go bigger. I'm a couple months away from deciding, but really need to start figuring out what I want. I'm also wondering if they will come out with something better in the new year?

Eddie

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #27  
My year old Droid has been fine on battery. For being in the greater Sacramento area, our part of the Foothills often has poor coverage for all providers. I hit some points where signal is poor or non-existant, and that will suck the battery down.

I've read all sorts of stories about battery life and went with the Droid over the Iphone because of all the issues I've heard about the batteires with the Iphone. Mine was great for the first six months, but then all of a sudden, it started dying on my in just a few hours.

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #28  
I just got an iPhone 4 its released just before your new razor droid and I agree with you they are amazing!

The jump from my old razor v3m to this smart phone is night and day and the internet is 3 times as fast as my cable internet at the shop too I pay $65 a month for. :(

Its ridiculous fast and besides that the phone is just a little small to get the most out of it but it is nice.

The best features I have found so far is the camera and the GPS in it and the music playback that will be excellent having it on the tractor the music that is. :) She will really like it thats a nice gift!

Last edited:
   / Bought the Wife a Droid #29  
I've read all sorts of stories about battery life and went with the Droid over the Iphone because of all the issues I've heard about the batteires with the Iphone.

Eddie

My SIL showed me that my iPhone had almost all the apps running at the same time in the background and showed me how to stop them and they just had an update to address the battery problem also.

My battery is great now I can get 3-4 days out of it the way I use it fwtw.

/ Bought the Wife a Droid #30  
Hi my wife and I both have Droid x2s, she has had hers 2pprox 3 months , I at that time bought the Casio smart phone. It is water proof , and tough built to meet construction standards and the military specs etc..... NOT as fast as the Droid but very good, after i started fooling with my wifes Droid i decided i wanted 1. I bought a Droid x2 for myself and my buisness needs, its faster , larger but not as tough etc.... I wish i had bought it first but you live and learn. The Casio is a good phone but not like the Droid x2 ,Im going to sell the Casio and charger complete, to get some of my money back. If any bodys interested. ( p.s. the Casio is flat style , and a smart phone ! )