Brake Controller suggestions

/ Brake Controller suggestions #11  
Yes, its not a big process on a Ford. Dont monkey around with a aftermarket controller, the factory one is the only way to go.

Chris

Was at the dealer today discussing this. The truck is going to be there all day anyway in a couple of days for some add ons included in my Saturday deal. I'm all set up now to just have them do it and be done.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #12  
Was at the dealer today discussing this. The truck is going to be there all day anyway in a couple of days for some add ons included in my Saturday deal. I'm all set up now to just have them do it and be done.

Smart move. You will love it.

Chris

/ Brake Controller suggestions #13  
Smart move. You will love it.

Chris

I've had a couple of trucks with factory controller already. I did like it. A much neater installation. Plus the gain was displayed in the dash and I didn't whack my knee on the hardware.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #14  
a factory installed tow package is the way to go, There is much more than trailer brakes involved, For auto tranny there will be a good quality transmission cooler installed, as well as separate fuse's & relay for the component/wiring,
I really like the factory ones, However, the aftermarket actuators do have another benefit, while traveling on downhill grades you can use the under dash lever to manually apply the the trailer brakes without having use the brakes on the tow vehicle, can use it to apply the brakes a bit harder on the trailer to assist in adjusting the downhill speed, anyone who ever has towed in the mountains knows what I'm talking about, I'm not sure if the factory installed brake controller has to be setup through the computer to give a stronger apply to the trailers brakes, But with my f-250 it's seems to be adjusted out equally when towing our 24 ft camper, when I towed with my older Ramcharger with drum brakes I had an aftermarket brake control,( Shelton ) I would use the lever/button to help apply the brakes on the trailer,although there are settings on the controller to custom adjust the pressure being applied but sometimes it felt like it needed a bit firmer or quicker stopping like being caught at a caution light about to turn red,

/ Brake Controller suggestions #15  
I'm having the Ford dealer install the factory brake controller in my new truck....they had to order the kit seems to be taking for ever to get here!! I talked with the sales manager and they are going to install it at no charge I just have to pay for the kit $360.00. Seems high to me but my after market controller in my old Dodge cost me $265.00 and that was a few years back.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #16  
a factory installed tow package is the way to go, There is much more than trailer brakes involved, For auto tranny there will be a good quality transmission cooler installed, as well as separate fuse's & relay for the component/wiring,
I really like the factory ones, However, the aftermarket actuators do have another benefit, while traveling on downhill grades you can use the under dash lever to manually apply the the trailer brakes without having use the brakes on the tow vehicle, can use it to apply the brakes a bit harder on the trailer to assist in adjusting the downhill speed, anyone who ever has towed in the mountains knows what I'm talking about, I'm not sure if the factory installed brake controller has to be setup through the computer to give a stronger apply to the trailers brakes, But with my f-250 it's seems to be adjusted out equally when towing our 24 ft camper, when I towed with my older Ramcharger with drum brakes I had an aftermarket brake control,( Shelton ) I would use the lever/button to help apply the brakes on the trailer,although there are settings on the controller to custom adjust the pressure being applied but sometimes it felt like it needed a bit firmer or quicker stopping like being caught at a caution light about to turn red,

You need to go out and look at factory controllers???? Both the ones in our Ford's have manual levers, gain controls, and work better than any of the nearly 100 aftermarket controllers I have installed. That includes 2 Max Brake Controllers.

Chris

/ Brake Controller suggestions #17  
I've been under the dash a few times when wiring up accessories, never have I noticed a brake control module, I have read in the owners manual that my truck has integrated trailer brake control,and it does have the 7 pin hookup, and it does stop my trailer's, so I assume somehow the computer controlled it, Now that you say there is a control module under the dash I'll be doing some research to find it, any idea where it's located? if not under the drivers side, '99 f-250 SD

/ Brake Controller suggestions #18  
I've been under the dash a few times when wiring up accessories, never have I noticed a brake control module, I have read in the owners manual that my truck has integrated trailer brake control,and it does have the 7 pin hookup, and it does stop my trailer's, so I assume somehow the computer controlled it, Now that you say there is a control module under the dash I'll be doing some research to find it, any idea where it's located? if not under the drivers side, '99 f-250 SD

There is no way you have a factory brake controller. Ford was the first to have it and it was not a option till 2005 on the Super Duty. If your brakes are working on your trailer there is only one of three possibilities.

Surge brakes.

Improper trailer wiring. (Brakes tied to stop lamps)

Aftermarket controller

Chris

/ Brake Controller suggestions #19  
I'm having the Ford dealer install the factory brake controller in my new truck....they had to order the kit seems to be taking for ever to get here!! I talked with the sales manager and they are going to install it at no charge I just have to pay for the kit $360.00. Seems high to me but my after market controller in my old Dodge cost me $265.00 and that was a few years back.

The parts guy wanted to start out at $220 for a factory controller for me yesterday. I bitched because I just bought the truck there 2 days before. ( I know, I should have been thinking earlier to make it part of the truck deal). He knocked it down to $190. Not sure what they're going to charge for the reflash of the computer. I'll be in the service manager's office if they try to spank me too hard.
I found the controllers on ebay for anywhere from $128 to $173. But they were slightly different parts numbers, so that's something to be careful of.

/ Brake Controller suggestions #20  
Only 2 ways I would go,
True factory proportional controller with a manual over ride lever,
Or a MAX Brake controller.
The rest are just timer or pendulium gimicks.

Slack