Broken Kubota Backhoe

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #11  
This is a hard one to believe without pics - Those booms are way over-sized for the size of the hydralics and I can't believe 'Bota would deny a faulty weld one month out of warranty. You sure this isn't a Kioti - They are the same color:laughing:

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #12  
As much as I dislike being a wet blanket, I doubt he's going to get anywhere with Kubota, unless he can bully them into replacing the boom. He's dealing with two separate entities here, one being Kubota, and the other his local dealer. It sounds like the dealer is on his side as far as the labour is concerned, but they're not willing to pay for a boom as well. Kubota has refused to provide them with the parts free of charge, but they are hoping to keep him as a customer if it doesn't cost them too much to do it.

Like it or not, it IS out of warranty. Kubota has no obligation whatsoever other than good will and good relations with a possible repeat customer.

The weld probably was defective, I don't dispute that. It's too bad he didn't notice the damage prior to the warranty expiring, if it was there at that time.

I've had excellent warranty service from my dealer on the one occasion I've needed it, beyond the expiry date I expect they MAY help me out if they can to keep a customer in the long term.

Was extended warranty available on the BH-76? I know it is on the tractor itself, the implements may be different.

Sean

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #13  
Bigger fish to fry. Get a welder that knows what he is doing and $100 later you are down the road. Having stress and a stroke is alot worse. Pursue Kubota if you enjoy that sort of thing. Sometimes life is not fair.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #14  
Bigger fish to fry. Get a welder that knows what he is doing and $100 later you are down the road. Having stress and a stroke is alot worse. Pursue Kubota if you enjoy that sort of thing. Sometimes life is not fair.

I agree - Really the time to mess with this if it is just a weld split? I am a crappy welder and I took my time to weld a major cracked seam in a hoe bucket and it worked great - Believe me, if I could weld that seam with a Lincoln stick welder a skilled welder could do it in no time. Again, I really believe the boom is way over engineered for the size of the hydralics that are on any of these.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #15  
You just can't get past the point that it is out of warranty. Should it have happened, no. Bad weld for some reason, most likely. Would it be great if Kubota honored problems after the warranty period, sure. Is that to be expected these days, no. Is this an on going problem with this model, not that I have heard reported.

Get it welded and move on. It does sound like the dealer was trying to be as stand up as he could.

MarkV

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #16  
I used to be a motorcycle racer, until a few years ago actually. I recall that when we cracked a frame and rewelded it, the welded part would be stronger than the rest of the frame and any future crack would occur on untouched, unwelded chromoly. The frame would hardly ever crack again where it was welded unless I did the welding. So, I suspect that you have a case in terms of manufacturing defect with Kubota and you can probably have an expert welder weld the crack and it will never crack there again.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #18  
Once, a friend with a Ford Probe ate an oil pump at 63K on a 60K powertrain warranty. A warranty is a warranty, sometimes the manufacturer will "good will" a claim, but in reality they owe you nothing.

How about the dealer that's playing "good cop", would they be willing to weld the boom? If it isn't beyond repair and weldable, put their good will to the test; friend gets BH fixed, dealer makes customer happy, win-win.

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #19  
They may not want to weld it from a liability standpoint, but it's worth asking.

Sean

/ Broken Kubota Backhoe #20  
A couple of things for consumer products... does not generally apply to products used in business.

First... The warranty clock stops anytime the unit is out of service for a warrantable repair.

Second... If the problem can be classified as a safety item... it could eventually become a voluntary or mandated recall.

The Song Beverly Act (California) and the Magnusen Moss Warranty Act(Federal) carry a lot of weight in my State.

Third... become enough of pain so the manufacturer wants to resolve the problem...

Pictures would go a long way in showing others the specific problem.

http://www.lemon-law-explained.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act.html

Usually these types of consumer disputes start with a claim being made without a satisfactory resolution forthcoming...

The consumer then needs to escalate by finding out the manufacturer's procedure for dealing with denied claims... it could be arbitration, litigation, etc.

It behooves the consumer to keep a well documented paper trail and to go step by step... with litigation being the last remedy.

All correspondence should be sent to a specific person of authority within the organization...