Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #1  

Dataway

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
Today I shattered the front glass on the Curtis Cab on my BX200. Does anyone know an alternative to paying $576 for the new Curtis glass?

Unfortunately it has several mounting holes for hinges, wipers etc. so a plain replacement isn't going to work.

Thanks.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #2  
Not sure where you live in upstate NY...

You can try Utica Glass.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab
I found a place called "One Day Glass" ... evidently I can specify the type of glass I want (Laminated), upload a CAD file (which I can do) and they will produce the glass and send it to the house (free shipping).

Something I don't understand is that windshields according to my research are almost always made of the more expensive laminated glass rather than tempered glass. Wondering why Curtis Cabs uses tempered glass when I guess that is a BIG no-no according to safety organizations. SIDE windows are often tempered glass ... the stuff that shatters in a million pieces ... but evidently some auto makers are shifting to laminated for the side windows also.

The quote for a plain piece of rectangular laminated safety glass 1/4" thick was $136 ... can't imagine drilling a few holes will cost a fortune. So I think I will start taking some measurements and see if I can work up a drawing. Maybe make a template also.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #4  
I found a place called "One Day Glass" ... evidently I can specify the type of glass I want (Laminated), upload a CAD file (which I can do) and they will produce the glass and send it to the house (free shipping).

Something I don't understand is that windshields according to my research are almost always made of the more expensive laminated glass rather than tempered glass. Wondering why Curtis Cabs uses tempered glass when I guess that is a BIG no-no according to safety organizations. SIDE windows are often tempered glass ... the stuff that shatters in a million pieces ... but evidently some auto makers are shifting to laminated for the side windows also.

The quote for a plain piece of rectangular laminated safety glass 1/4" thick was $136 ... can't imagine drilling a few holes will cost a fortune. So I think I will start taking some measurements and see if I can work up a drawing. Maybe make a template also.

Post a link to the vendor please. Last time I had to get a piece of glass cut, drilled and tempered it was $500 at the end of the day.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #5  
There's also the curve in the glass that has to be matched perfectly. I have a Curtis Can and have often wondered what I would do if I smashed it. I think I would Fab a flat angle steel subframe and weld it to the curved tubing and install a flat piece of Auto Glass into the frame. I would reposition the wiper up to where it would mount to the sheet metal to avoid the hole thru the glass thing.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #6  
Also, I was quoted a price of 675 plus shipping for my b2620 Curtis Cab windshield

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #7  
Today I shattered the front glass on the Curtis Cab on my BX200. Does anyone know an alternative to paying $576 for the new Curtis glass?

Unfortunately it has several mounting holes for hinges, wipers etc. so a plain replacement isn't going to work.

Thanks.

That price is not out of line for a quality product. If it were me, I would just be happy the glass is still available and order one.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #8  

For strength, such has supporting hinges, you need tempered. Laminated came from the automotive safety arena where its job was to deform under head impact in a collision but to retain the occupant inside the vehicle by way of the plastic sheet between the two glass layers. Laminated glass is only used in the windshield. All other windows are tempered.

Dave M7040

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab
Just got the final quote from Curtis ... $686 plus shipping. So I will be trying this place ... Custom Glass, Glass Replacement | One Day Glass

Got a response from them, they say they can do tempered or laminate ... or laminate tempered. I'll have to do the drawings before I get a quote. They mentioned that almost all windshields they do are laminate, but that some industrial applications call for tempered.

Mike .. this is a 2005'ish Cab .... I don't think it had any curve, not unless it was horizontal and way up by the hinges ... I hope not, the place above does not do curved glass, only flat. The frame the glass seals against is flat. They can match the 3/16" tempered no problem, laminate would have to be 1/4". Mounts all the accessories that bolt through the glass are adjustable for thickness so that's not a problem.

I've got a few months before winter so maybe I'll make a thin plexi template and make sure my measurements are correct before I order anything.

/ Broken Windshield on Kubota BX2200 Curtis Cab #10  
Laminated came from the automotive safety arena where its job was to deform under head impact in a collision but to retain the occupant inside the vehicle by way of the plastic sheet between the two glass layers. Laminated glass is only used in the windshield. All other windows are tempered.

Dave M7040

And/or to keep at least some objects from coming through into the passenger compartment.

I've seen discussion of going to laminated glass for side windows for some of the same reasons. There have been a few cases where passengers were partially or fully ejected through side windows.

Probably none of that will be a factor in tractor windshields due to the slower speeds.