"brush hog" gear oil and level.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #21  
Hi Guys:
After reading this thread, I decided to change the oil on my very old New Idea brush hog and surprise, the oil poured out of the gearbox where the shaft connects. You can see a clear gap. So, the gearbox only has oil in the bottom 1/3. I think it's been like this for the several seasons I've had it. Do I keep going or tear it down and put in a seal or gasket?
Any suggestions?
This old brush hog is easily 40 yrs old and sat idle in my neighbor's back yard for at least 20. It's age doesn't bother me. I'm still a lot older than it is and I'm still working.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #22  
that far gone.. and i'd put in a seal and bearing. with that much space.. it will get dirt in it even if you did grease it. then it would be junk soon.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #23  
All depends on how long you plan on keeping and using it. If you intend on buying a newer model soon, don't waste your time repairing this one. But if you intend on continuing I suggest you replace the seal rather soon or you will be out much more money in repair.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #24  
First question - why do you want to remove the blades? If it is to sharpen them many here sharpen the blades on the hog. Block the cutter up and sharpen with a 4" disk grinder.

i would avoid this method whether young or old. i work alone on my place and put myself @ risk just by being the only one there....but to crawl under a "blocked" rig w/the grinder wheel inches from my face attempting to true a dulled blade to me is ludicrous unless you want a disc grinder sandwich & scars to boot. the 2" corner edge of a blade (i'm told) does 90% of the cutting....the remainder of the blade should be trued to that edge if that makes sense. that's a lot of grinding if you've let it go. life is all about risks. but i wouldn't crawl under to save the time. an impact wrench or cheater bar to me is the safe bet. better yet, get a backup set of knives (blades) and swap out each time. best

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #25  
never use cinder blocks.. only solid wood and jack stands as cribbing..

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #26  
I usually just move it over to a tree, lift it with the loader, and chain it to the trunk of the tree before going to work on sharpening.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #27  
I usually just move it over to a tree, lift it with the loader, and chain it to the trunk of the tree before going to work on sharpening.

Same here.

Best part is not getting poison Ivy from crawling under the deck.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #28  

Did this when I needed to remove some wire from the stump jumper. :D
P4010076.JPG

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #29  
I just got a new Bush Hog 2008 multi-spindle shredder, and was checking oil levels in the three gearboxes.
The outer two are standard with one level check plug. No problem. The center transfer gearbox has two
check plugs on the back, along with the vent plug on top. Which level check plugs do you use? Is the
upper one a separate fill plug? I can't find any info online, and the manual doesn't address this issue.

/ "brush hog" gear oil and level. #30  
if you see a box that has a NR vent, and then a plug near the top 1/4 of the box, and then a plug near the lower 1/3, the lower plug is the check and the top is the fill.

Post a pic of your box.