Bucket Capacity

/ Bucket Capacity #11  
Half a yard with a good scoop. Keep the backhoe on for ballast if you are taking good scoops. Put 6 scoops in and see how she handles it.

The definition of "heaped" is subject to interpretation. But 6 scoops should keep you within range of what the dump truck can handle. Maybe try a 7th if you feel it will handle it. Dont know what dump truck you are renting....or if the 2.5-3yd capacity is limited by volume....or by what the truck can actually handle in terms of weight.

/ Bucket Capacity #12  
I'm not sure what truck you plan to rent but make sure the dump height of the bucket will clear the side of the truck. Reach is also important. It's handy to be able to dump into the center of the bed. Otherwise, it gets awkward trying to distribute the load evenly.

/ Bucket Capacity #13  
I'm not sure what truck you plan to rent but make sure the dump height of the bucket will clear the side of the truck. Reach is also important. It's handy to be able to dump into the center of the bed. Otherwise, it gets awkward trying to distribute the load evenly.
Fair point but I think any truck limited to 2.5-3yd capacity is gonna be no issues for a MX

/ Bucket Capacity #14  
Not everyone has a CAD (Computer Aided Design) program but if you do or know someone who does: Measure the end profile of the bucket and draw it in CAD. Most CAD programs will calculate area of a polygon which can then be converted to volume using the width of the bucket.

Heaped capacity could be done by drawing the estimated "heap" in the above scenario. I will say that drawing the end profile of the bucket is not the easiest because of the angles. I know, been there done that. :)

/ Bucket Capacity #15  
I was thinking my chart answered the question.
If not...how simple would it be to fill bucket with leaves? A cubic yard = 27 cubic feet (3×3×3). Get a big cardboard box and measure it, say it's 3'x2'x2'...so it's 12 cubic feet. Dump leaves in box.

/ Bucket Capacity #16  
I used a label maker and put capacities on the FEL and BH buckets. My old mind can’t forget them now. I also have weights on ea. and attachments.
Yes you can forget it. Eventually you will wonder who stuck those labels to the tractor and remove them, at least I did 🤢 Ha! I did use the label maker and printed the tire PSI, Oil, filter numbers, various torque numbers etc and stuck under the hood. Beats wearing out the owners manual out.

Last edited:
   / Bucket Capacity #17  
I'm going from memory, I have a MX5400 and the Kubota L2296 heavy duty bucket. It holds about 9 cubic feet, so 1/3 of a yard. For hauling heavy materials it's the thing to use (right balance of weight/capacity/toughness for things like gravel relative to the tractor specs). But if you're trying to haul larger/lighter things, then a bigger bucket is nice. A lot of specs on a lot of equipment isn't very good about telling you the capacity. Also consider the difference between "struck capacity" and other capacities. Struck capacity is more in line with reality.

I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I learned about capacity beyond that.

A year ago I bought a much larger bucket to complement my L2296 bucket. It's a moderately crazy bucket for the MX5400 but I like it. It is worth the money? TBD, I got it before the price of steel went up. If you want some serious capacity, see this thread: Titan Attachments 84" High Capacity Skid Steer Bucket

Be prepared to have something heavy on the rear though, a 900lb bucket is a modest challenge for the MX5400, rear counterweight is important.

/ Bucket Capacity #18  
I don't understand the complexity ? .... just calculate it with your bucket measurement ... ((Base x height) /2 ) x Lenght ) either in cubic feet or cubic meters and convert it in cubic yard ... calculated mine for the same reason it was 0.3 cubic yard ...

/ Bucket Capacity #19  
I am somewhat confuse with the depth vs height vs length ... I think the length is the diagonal height ... so by using the depth and height I get 0.336 cubic yard for the standard bucket and 0.347 for the Material bucket ... ether or I would call it 0.3 cubic yard for both at least when you are buying anyway ...

Last edited:
   / Bucket Capacity #20  
The answer has already been posted.

It's published information in the loader specs.

Not sure why it's still a debate or questions