Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40
Thanks everyone, Ill keep the updates coming as fast as I can. Its hard to get much accomplished When I can only work on it on the weekends.

Today I also broke down and ordered a New radiator and enough gaskets to hopefully stop all of my current engine leaks (knock on wood). I have a lot planned for it this weekend so I'm hoping I can get to the point where I get a little shine on the old girl.

Hey, that's one nice looking 40. I'm looking for one of those myself to restore. Right now I'm restoring a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF that I picked up for $1300 non-running.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...62478-mid-mount-milimeter-bf-restoration.html

Had to send the 4-cyl Hercules engine (27 hp, gas) to the machine shop for a complete rebuild ($800 parts, $800 labor). So you're way ahead of me cost-wise on your restoration. Just started reassembling the rear end. Hope to have it running in a few months.

Your project looks very nice, I am eager to see the finished product. Thanks for noticing the old baler, my grandpa bought it new and it been in the family ever since. Its a good machine but it used to make what my sister called "cotton balls" instead of bales so to put our hay up this year we spend a couple hours sharpening the spears and It baled like a new one.

-Mills

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #12  
I ran a 1955 Deere 40T for about 25 years on the farm and to load machinery with (#35 JD loader). Only turned it over 1 time. Overhauled the engine 1 time $175 parts and labor. Never changed to 12 volt and it never failed to start, no matter how cold it was. Gave $1500 for it and the loader and 2 row cultivators and sold the tractor and loader for $3500. Good luck on your project. Ken Sweet

I ran a 1955 Deere 40T for about 25 years on the farm and to load machinery with (#35 JD loader). Only turned it over 1 time. Overhauled the engine 1 time $175 parts and labor. Never changed to 12 volt and it never failed to start, no matter how cold it was. Gave $1500 for it and the loader and 2 row cultivators and sold the tractor and loader for $3500. Good luck on your project. Ken Sweet

Thats a good turnover especially if you get any kind of use out of it. I turned down an offer on a 40 loader when I first bought this tractor but i figured its hard enough to steer already.

-Mills

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #14  
   / Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #15  
Looking good. When you had that radiator up there the other sunday I didn't realize you had the whole front of the tractor torn off. :confused2: Should make that front axle repair much easier though.

As for the tires, look for some with a 23* tread, such as the Firestone All Traction Field & Road, or one of the knock offs. Not sure if you'll ever get into antique tractor pulling, but if so they pull the best out of any of them, also just an all around good tire.

Looking good. When you had that radiator up there the other sunday I didn't realize you had the whole front of the tractor torn off. :confused2: Should make that front axle repair much easier though.

As for the tires, look for some with a 23* tread, such as the Firestone All Traction Field & Road, or one of the knock offs. Not sure if you'll ever get into antique tractor pulling, but if so they pull the best out of any of them, also just an all around good tire.

Yeah taking the front axle off was by far the easiest way to work on the front of the motor.

23 degree Firestones would be nice but at the budget I am trying for I doubt I would go with them. I doubt they would even make them in a 12.4 x 24 size.

What is your advise on radial or bias-ply on the back?

-Mills

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #17  
Yeah taking the front axle off was by far the easiest way to work on the front of the motor.

23 degree Firestones would be nice but at the budget I am trying for I doubt I would go with them. I doubt they would even make them in a 12.4 x 24 size.

What is your advise on radial or bias-ply on the back?

-Mills

Firestone makes a few tires in that size, the cheapest would be the Traction Field & Road R-1. They are around $700-800 each though. Really any bias ply would do, I don't think you need to spend the $$$ on radials.

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #18  
Great looking project. I grew up on the 40. We used it for a lot of different projects. Mowing (jd #9), pulling haysled, pulling hand operated road grader. Great little tractor, pulled way over 12 tons with the hay sled. I wish I had that tractor, still in the family though. Did not know they made a loader for it.

Well I dint get anything to speak of done on the 40 last weekend except getting my existing front axle tube strengthened and welded up. But when I was Doing this I found under the grease and various dirt that the whole front pedestal has being broken and repaired. Long story short, I hate to put the broken piece on there so I am currently looking for an alternative.

This weekends progress was pretty good I think I got a solid 8 hours in today on the tractor alone. This time was mostly spent prepping the engine for paint, Since I had the time I wanted to do it right, I spent at least 6 hours of that time today simply wire wheeling parts and degreasing them. It was nice to put parts on the tractor instead of taking them off. I am very happy with the results, even though the color looks allittle bright but that is because one of the previous owners sprayed some "New" John Deere green on it along with some light blue in places.:confused2:

Previously I had been looking for a radiator shop to repair the original one that came on the tractor but everywhere it would have ended up costing more to repair than a new one, especially since someone persuaded it to fit with a hammer on the top. But to my surprise my local Deere dealer was $60 less than anywhere else and it was waiting for me in a little under two days. I am glad I went this route as it is a very nice piece of work, It was ordered through a company in mount airy called A&I.

Previous Weeks Total: $2111
+ 2 Gaskets, Steering column bushing, Radiator: $379
+ Various Wire wheels, and painting supply's from TSC and Airgas: $45
+ The last 2 engine gaskets: $12

Running Total: $2,547

Here is Some Pictures I took before I left (2nd coat of paint drying):

Attachments

• PB080663.jpg
    PB080663.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 278
  • PB080664.jpg
    PB080664.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 233
  • PB080665.jpg
    PB080665.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 265
   / Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #20  
Looking good, keep up the good work. The paint color reminds me of 70's and 80's vintage Detroit Diesels.