Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #22  
Beautiful tractor! I wish I had your skills so I could do the same. The old machinery is amazing stuff. Around here we have lots of farms with 50 year old tractors still doing farm work. They sure knew how to build them. Can't wait to see it all done!

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #23  
Just hope you are using JD paint, not another brand "wannabe" JD paint. :)

/ Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40
Thanks for the reply's everyone, Ill need some support so I take it slow and steady and not just try to whip it together.

Just hope you are using JD paint, not another brand "wannabe" JD paint. :)

Yep im using the real john deere stuff, I think its called classic green.

Well here's a small update on my progress so far, Ive currently got all of my friends scoring the country for a new front end for the 40, Ive got a lead on one in West Virginia and one in north Carolina and I'm going to try to go look at one of those tomorrow.

But unless I get some kind of front end before this weekend I will be working my way back on the tractor and putting my pieces back on the engine to get it completely done.

Ill post updates and pictures when I get back to school on Sunday.

-Mills

Well here we go, In the last two days Ive been plugging right along on the tractor I think Ive got a lot done on it but it not showing to much. Yesterday I wire wheeled, degreased and painted my: Distributor, Combination fan-light-radiator mount, and fan. And they turned out really nice, if I do say so. Also I Finally got my generator back, Broken casting fixed, New windings, Converted to 12v and painted black with a 12v regulator.

Also I have been feverishly trying to track down a good front end, And I think I have a good lead one another one in NC, He is supposed to email me pictures tomorrow morning (fingers crossed!). It is also the cheapest Ive found at $450 for everything :ashamed:

This evening I removed the gas tank, battery box, tool box and the mounts for gas tank so I can work my way back on the tractor. I am Waiting for some parts to arrive also: The correct exhaust, Correct Steering Wheel, And the correct raditor mounts and pads.

Total From last Time: $2,547
+ Generator & Regulator: $240
+ Belts, Hoses: $31
+ Steering Wheel, Muffler, Radiator Mounting Hardware: $149

Running Total: $2,967

Here are the most recent pictures I have:

Attachments

• PB230670.jpg
    PB230670.jpg
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 215
  • PB230671.jpg
    PB230671.jpg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 163
  • PB230672.jpg
    PB230672.jpg
    1,014.4 KB · Views: 189
   / Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #28  
Any progress on the tractor? I have a '53 40 that is sitting in the cold shed right now.

It has the engine rebuilt and waiting to be put back on. Hopefully I can get it painted and all together this summer. All it takes is time and money..

Well its been awhile since an update and i don't doubt ill leave out a few things, so here goes:

Well I found a really nice immaculate front end from a nice fellow in oxford, North Carolina along with this I got a nice set of wheels and decent front tires and also a nice dent free rust free air cleaner, all for $550.00 cash. I immediately got home and went to it with the wire wheel and got just about everything clean and ready for paint.

The next step was to mount the painted radiator mounting bracket and fan then the new radiator. Then with so with some help from a floor jack and my dad I got my new front end in place and bolted up tight. Then I put the final coats of paint on the front end and steering box.

Then after this I cleaned up my battery box, tank mounts, and the tank give me a bit of trouble, the outside was a breeze to clean up but on the inside I found 57 years of "fuel gauges" on the bottom rattling around. By this I mean sticks that they jabbed down in there to check the fuel level. It took almost four hours to get all these out with my three jawed grabber thing.

Then I got all these things painted and bolted down in place and a new fuel sediment bulb from tractor supply on it. At this point it was extremely whole again.

Total From last time: $2,967
+ $550.00 for front end, wheels and tires, air cleaner
+ $40.00 for Sediment bowl, bolts, RTV form tractor supply
+ $75.00 for muffler paint, green paint and hose from John Deere dealership.

Running Total: $3,692.00

Here are the most recent pictures that I have on my camera of it.
More posts will follow soon:

Attachments

• PC270690.jpg
    PC270690.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 168
  • PC270691.jpg
    PC270691.jpg
    888.5 KB · Views: 158
  • PC310692.jpg
    PC310692.jpg
    892.1 KB · Views: 186
  • PC310694.jpg
    PC310694.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 197
   / Budget Restoration / Modernization of a 1953 JD 40 #30  
Looking good. Thanks for the update. I know they are a lot of work, but it will look great when you get it done.