Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #51  
“They travel by horse and buggy. Steel wheels ensure that tractors are not used as transportation." So it's not because they are better

Lol
Mennonites can use vehicles? Ever see "amish mafia" The mennonite guy Jolin drives a truck! HAHA, no seriously there is a fairly large mennonite population in my area. They all drive vehicles and have power etc, they look just like us, well the men do, the wommen have little house on the prarie style dresses on and white hat things in thier hair, and other than usually haveing one or 3 more kids than most moder families they look "normal". See them in Lowes at walmart or out to eat. One family has a huge welding/fab business in the area others are a HUGE granite counter top maker/installer, and countless cabinet shops and carpenters are around.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #52  
The Orthodox Russion (Old Believers) in Marion County, Oregon used to use their Farmall Cub tractors for transportation. Load up the family and drive into Woodburn or Gervais to do their shopping etc....... That was back in the Sixty's. When they first started coming to the area they started buying Farmall Cubs because the Cub would work in the Berry patches better than any other available tractor. They sent groups out in the region to buy any they could find. The people pooled their money to buy property and equipment for individual familys. As each family grew profitable they repaid the group for what was borrowed or used.
No Amish in Oregon as far as I know. The Mennonites all drive cars and trucks here as far as I have seen.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #53  
Yea and them on a d4 sized machine i think are something like $30k! to replace.

Never seen an old dozer with worn out tracks? The verticle nubs that hold the ground or whatever get so flat that they look like track hoe tracks, or ar almost smooth!!

You mean Growsers.:D

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #54  
Lots of Amish here in our county. Some, who get ok'ed from the church, will run a tractor with only the cleats bolted to the rim. Never have flats, however, rides rough. Ken Sweet

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber
Again :) My dad was also a heavy equipment mechanic ! I know tracks are not bullet proof ! I remember helping him work on a machine that had track problems in the mud ! A real sob ! Lack of maintanance sand mud gravel cold weather :) oh yes happy times indeed ! And I recon all the nice machined parts forged steel the sprockets and pins they real cheap :)

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #56  
Is it just me or does the phrase:

"Google Amish-anything"

sound wrong somehow?

Just saying....
T
These use kerosene powered computers!:eek:ath:

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #57  
When I was an electrical apprentice in Toronto, Caterpillar had a plant where they rebuilt tracks, sprockets and idlers, all with Lincoln "Track Welders". Before computerized equipment, all set up with limit switches. We had a man there almost full time keeping things going.

Dad bought us an old 9n in the fifties that came with a spare set of lug wheels. When we got a 35hp Massey we found that we could stick them on and pull a 2 furrow plow thru the Scarborough clay earlier in the spring than we could with the rubber tires. The next year we tried them in the snow and ice.
They were like paddle tires with dozens of 3" paddles. A little rough on the hard gravel sideroad, or ice, and if they started to spin they would instantly dig a hole that gave no way out. Up until you lost traction however there was nothing like them...far better than chains in snow.