Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #31  
ya looking at a chunk of change no matter what way you go... i am for foam filling tires, and chains on the tires.

it is no joke about a wheel grabbing and doing a wheelie, to point tractor rolls right over top of you. and do not try to think you will have time to jump. the time you think, you will have tractor on top of you.

if the land is really that bad, rent or higher out some dozer work.

steel wheels, i just think ya getting a tad carried away, and trying to over complicate things. granted i am all for DIY. but stand back and think about it some.

if anything just run the tractor. and have some "tubes" and patch kits on hand. along with reading up on breaking tire beads to get in and remove a tube or like.

there still a lot of old dirt roads around the world, and a lot of farmers on them out of middle of no were back roads and fields right there. if steel wheels were really that good. they most likely have them in demand. needless to say, steel wheels gone....

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #32  
I looked at foam filleld tires for our ZTR. I don't remember the exact cost to fill small tires but it was prohibitively expensive.
It souldnt be? I talked to some folks and its only about the cost of a few flat repairs and the cost of new tubes??? I did the math, if it saved me like 4 flats it would pay for itself on my small front tractor tires, rears will be pretty pricey but so will this idea i think he has.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber
Hello :) My uncle had the same 600 ford that his dad bought new in about 1950 ! Water filled rear tires . somrtime in 80s He cut one of his rear tires ! We had a tire hammer and beat that thing untill we could not beat no more ! The tire was rusted to the rim ! We took it to town to a tire shop . The fellow hit it once or twice and that was that . We must have loosened it up some i recon . but that profesional tire hammer swinger was stout no doubt about it ! I don`t need to buy no books to learn to change tires !

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber
This is my last on the subject ! I am still quite absolutly positive a fellow could fabricate a set of steel wheels with mild grips and at low speed and way less than maximum smoke do whatever he needed to do . I think the amish prove that ! And whatever they are I feel sure there farmers ! Any thanks and the best to you and yours !

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #35  
Rubber tires provide better traction and less compaction than steel. :thumbsup:

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #36  
I have a steel wheeled tractor. Go for it. But rubber industrial tires should hold up just fine.

If your ground is so bad that you are concerned about punctures then you will damage the steel wheels eventually as well... I'd use steel tracks (dozer).

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #37  
The Amish use steel because they can be easily fabricated compared to rubber. The Amish use both depending upon their interpretation of outside influence. Their tires are also not driven tires they are pulled. The steel wheels without lugs have less rolling resistance depending on ground conditions. Easier for animals pulling the equipment.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #38  
The Amish use steel because they can be easily fabricated compared to rubber. The Amish use both depending upon their interpretation of outside influence. Their tires are also not driven tires they are pulled. The steel wheels without lugs have less rolling resistance depending on ground conditions. Easier for animals pulling the equipment.

The Amish in some areas make steel wheels for their modern farm tractors.

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #39  
The Amish in some areas make steel wheels for their modern farm tractors.

If there really Amish or Old order they dont have tractors? Sure your not talking menonites?

/ Build a set of steel wheels Save my rubber #40  
Wondering if the tracks on Cat Dozers ever have to be replaced?:D