building a fuel caddy

/ building a fuel caddy #11  
I always figured that with a small DC motor and right pullies I could easily convert the hand crank pump into a 12v dc powered unit--another project for another day--meanwhile what I have works just fine.[/QUOTE]

12 volt auto window motor or wiper motor???

/ building a fuel caddy #12  
I always figured that with a small DC motor and right pullies I could easily convert the hand crank pump into a 12v dc powered unit--another project for another day--meanwhile what I have works just fine.

12 volt auto window motor or wiper motor???[/QUOTE]

Would need to be real slow, probably about 20 RPM on the pump shaft so being very geared down any small DC motor with incorporated gear reduction would do, as suggested a wiper or window motor should do the trick.
I am sure that I have a couple of suitable units in my boxes of tricks.

I think I'd like to use some type of small gear and sprocket set up vs belt drive as I think of 'static buildup' as something to avoid.

As I write I also think of simply using a battery powered drill as motive power with the gearing ratios permanantly affixed to the pump.
I would then simply insert the suitable nut driver socket into the drill and pump away!

Hmm--2 gears, one large attached to the pump shaft and driven by a smaller one that is terminated with , say 1/2' hex that would mate with a 1/2" nut runner in the drill.
Would not even need any fancy calculations as the drill is of course variable speed!

But then the crank is effortless and it works just fine (except that I'd have fun making the drill device)

/ building a fuel caddy #13  
I'm going to tig weld every thing with 308 stainless weld wire. I'm going to have a 2'' fill port 3/4''vent and whatever size the hand pump takes. The only other port would be for some sort of fuel gauge if i can come up with something.IN case i decide on a gravity system i'm going to have a 3/4'' port on the bottom, where i could install a ball valve.

"fuel gauge if i can come up with something"

You could us a standard oil heating tank guage if you modify it!

OR:

on the side of the tank add, say 3/8" pipe thread at top and bottom and using 90 deg 3/8" npt to tubing elbows that you would connect with clear PVC tubing you would have a sight guage.
Could also get fancy and float a little 1/4" colored plastic ball in the 3/8" tubing for quick visibility.

/ building a fuel caddy #14  
What Piloon said on the gauge.

If you want ideas or just want to buy,

Basco has several, google basco drums

Would suggest putting in an extra 2" port in top if you think you may want to gauge it that way.

/ building a fuel caddy #15  
What Piloon said on the gauge.

If you want ideas or just want to buy,

Basco has several, google basco drums

Would suggest putting in an extra 2" port in top if you think you may want to gauge it that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My drums are marked off in 5 gallon increments.
You can see through the drum and see the fuel in them at any level.
There aren't any gauges or fittings to leak.
I like the fact that the gauge is the entire drum.
Did you notice how easy it is to see the exact fuel level in the drum?

/ building a fuel caddy #16  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My drums are marked off in 5 gallon increments.
You can see through the drum and see the fuel in them at any level.
There aren't any gauges or fittings to leak.
I like the fact that the gauge is the entire drum.
Did you notice how easy it is to see the exact fuel level in the drum?

LOL
That is a FULL SIZE guage!

/ building a fuel caddy #17  
I am glad that works well for you Mr. Brown, but I don't beleive that the original poster had that in mind.

/ building a fuel caddy #20  
I'm welding plate on both ends,with lifting eyes on one end to unload it I have a overhead cable lifting hoist in my garage. .
The lifting eyes are a good idea but you won't have to use them or the lifting hoist If you get the fuel delivered.