building a fuel caddy

/ building a fuel caddy #41  
I use a 55 gallon fuel drum and a hand pump for my diesel. I take into the gas station and fill it with diesel and use a $25 drum lifter I got from Harbor Freight to lift it out of the pick up with the loader. I do the same with the gas for the gas tractor. Works for me.
Cost of the drum was $20 and I paid $40 for a hand pump on ebay and $10 for a new fuel hose and fitting.

/ building a fuel caddy #42  
I use a 55 gallon fuel drum and a hand pump for my diesel. I take into the gas station and fill it with diesel and use a $25 drum lifter I got from Harbor Freight to lift it out of the pick up with the loader. I do the same with the gas for the gas tractor. Works for me.
Cost of the drum was $20 and I paid $40 for a hand pump on ebay and $10 for a new fuel hose and fitting.

Could you please post photos of your GAS set up?

I've got a 55gal drum and am looking for a 30gal. I could go through 30 gal pretty easy in the summer, but 55 would be a little much. Besides it would be easier to handle the 30 gal drum

Wedge

/ building a fuel caddy #43  
The main reason I bought the pump was the ease of filling the tractor.
My tractor has the tank on the back behind the seat so it was difficult especially for my wife to stand on the three point hitch and hold the 5 gal. canister for 5 minutes.
1*My diesel consumption isn't too high.
2*In the near future I plan to install a hook on the 50 gal drum and use my FEL to load it on a trailer and take it to a local COOP to get agri diesel.
3*I buy two 5 gal containers anytime the level in the barrel goes to about one quarter and pour them in.
1*Last summer my usage was about 10 to 12 gallons a month.
That worked out well with my 30 and 55 gallon dual drum system.
I could have used a 30 and 30 gallon drum combination or a 15 and 30 gallon drum combination or a 15 and 15 gallon drum combo depending on how much under 10 or 12 gallon a month I figured I'd use.
2* How would you attach the hook to a plastic drum.?
Why would you need a FEL to load the drum on your trailer?
An empty drum is not that heavy; or are you talking about taking it to get it filled when it is still about a fourth full?
3*Why not get a 15 gallon plastic or steel drum and take it to get filled and use your pump when you get back to pump the fuel out of it into the larger drum ?
Probably could even get agri / off road fuel by using the 15 gallon drum.
You could also take 2 or 3 5 gallon cans and empty them with the pump instead.
Either way it eliminates handling and pouring from those 5 gallon cans.
This is how I would be replenishing the fuel in the 50 gallon drum if I were in your situation especially since you already have the electric pump.
You are already using the pump to pump fuel out of the 50 gallon drum so nothing says you can't use it to pump fuel out of whatever you get the fuel in.

L B

Last edited:
   / building a fuel caddy #44  
Could you please post photos of your GAS set up?

I've got a 55gal drum and am looking for a 30gal. I could go through 30 gal pretty easy in the summer, but 55 would be a little much. Besides it would be easier to handle the 30 gal drum
Wedge
I have seven 30 gallon drums for sale.
I don't handle any drums of fuel thanks to this.
100_2582.jpg

/ building a fuel caddy

Attachments

• fuel caddy.jpg
    fuel caddy.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 424
  • fuel caddy1.jpg
    fuel caddy1.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 299
  • fuel caddy 2.jpg
    fuel caddy 2.jpg
    895.1 KB · Views: 425