building a fuel caddy

/ building a fuel caddy #31  
Anybody have metal gas cans.. Mine are all plastic. I know they aren't 55gal, but I've had fuel in some for over a year.

Yes, I have metal and plastic fuel cans.

Can you find me a manufacturer of a plastic drum that says it is acceptable to put fuel in it?

/ building a fuel caddy #32  
Yes, I have metal and plastic fuel cans.
Can you find me a manufacturer of a plastic drum that says it is acceptable to put fuel in it?
I don't see where the size of the container has any thing to do with anything.
Somebody please explain the difference between a plastic 5 gallon container and a 15 30 or 55 gallon plastic container.

/ building a fuel caddy #33  
Did You Ever Get This Built?
I'm thinking on making a fuel caddy for diesel for my tractor. There has been more cons than pros on the 15 gallon blizz, northern's caddy and todd's look like they are what i need. however they are a little pricey. i have a piece of sch. 10 20'' stainless pipe 2' long i'm thinking on using,I'll set it up for gravity feed or to hand pump, is there anything i should be aware of or carefull of on this. it should hold 33 gallons full i don't know how much it will weigh.

/ building a fuel caddy #34  
I'm thinking on making a fuel caddy for diesel for my tractor. There has been more cons than pros on the 15 gallon blizz, northern's caddy and todd's look like they are what i need. however they are a little pricey. i have a piece of sch. 10 20'' stainless pipe 2' long i'm thinking on using,I'll set it up for gravity feed or to hand pump, is there anything i should be aware of or carefull of on this. it should hold 33 gallons full i don't know how much it will weigh.
Now that you have it built how is it working out for you . ?
Sure beats those 5 gallon cans don't it !?!

Last edited:
   / building a fuel caddy #35  
I don't understand why it would be OK to have 6 plastic 5 gallon cans of diesel setting around yet it's not OK to have 30 gallon of diesel setting in a 30 gallon plastic drum.

Hard to read isn't it? Would you "stop" making the letter fonts so stink'n small!!!

/ building a fuel caddy #36  
I don't understand why it would be OK to have 6 plastic 5 gallon cans of diesel setting around yet it's not OK to have 30 gallon of diesel setting in a 30 gallon plastic drum.
Hard to read isn't it? Would you "stop" making the letter fonts so stink'n small!!!
Is this better I hope.

/ building a fuel caddy #37  
There is a difference between 1gal and 50 gal containers. I guess it has something to do with static electricity and also with volume of the fuel and fuel vapor in the vessel if it isn't completely full. If the vapor ignites due to static electricity discharge larger volume of vapor makes a bigger bang and larger volume of spilled burning fuel in the garage will be work for a local fire squad.
Static electricity from small containers is easier to discharge just by handling them by hand and also less surface has possibly less charge. It would be also easier to deal with smaller volume of spilled burning fuel.

I have also plastic drum for diesel with 12V pump on it. It is located in the garage now but I am planning to build small garden shed to store gasoline, propane tanks and diesel outside of the house.

/ building a fuel caddy #38  
There is a difference between 1gal and 50 gal containers. I guess it has something to do with static electricity and also with volume of the fuel and fuel vapor in the vessel if it isn't completely full. If the vapor ignites due to static electricity discharge larger volume of vapor makes a bigger bang and larger volume of spilled burning fuel in the garage will be work for a local fire squad.
Static electricity from small containers is easier to discharge just by handling them by hand and also less surface has possibly less charge. It would be also easier to deal with smaller volume of spilled burning fuel.

I also have a plastic drum for diesel with a 12V pump on it.
1*It is located in the garage now .
2*I am planning to build A small garden shed to store gasoline, propane tanks and diesel outside of the house.

1*Mine was in this carport from June till Nov.

2*In Nov I moved it to this small garden shed

and set it up like this.

/ building a fuel caddy #39  
I have a plastic drum for diesel with a 12V pump on it. It is located in the garage now but I am planning to build a small garden shed.
1*Do you fill it with off road ?
2*How do you get it filled?
I have home delivery and get it filled with off road.

/ building a fuel caddy #40  
1*Do you fill it with off road ?
2*How do you get it filled?
I have home delivery and get it filled with off road.

The main reason I bought the pump was the ease of filling the tractor. My tractor has tank on the back behind the seat so it was difficult especially for my wife to stand on the three point hitch and hold the 5gal canister for 5 minutes.
Since my diesel consumption isn't too high I buy two 5 gal containers anytime the level in the barrel goes to about one quarter and pour them in. But in the near future I plan to install a hook on the 50 gal drum and use my FEL to load it on a trailer and take it to local COOP to get agri diesel.