Building a small farm.

/ Building a small farm.
There is always more to do than time and money to do it. :) How do you like your Woods backhoe? Smooth controls, good power?
Thanks Dave. I like the backhoe a lot. The controls have took some getting used to, there not as smooth as a full size machine, but I think some of that is me not learning to feather it yet, but I'm getting there. The power is awesome. I have thousands of hours logged between two case backhoes, a 580 super k and a late model super M. I was really surprised at the power this setup has. Everyone told me I would be mad at it the first time I used it. Well I'm not. It's a wonderful little machine that is far from being a toy like some of my friends said! I really don't know how I've got along with out it. We use it every day!! LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #22  
Thanks Dave. I like the backhoe a lot. The controls have took some getting used to, there not as smooth as a full size machine, but I think some of that is me not learning to feather it yet, but I'm getting there. The power is awesome. I have thousands of hours logged between two case backhoes, a 580 super k and a late model super M. I was really surprised at the power this setup has. Everyone told me I would be mad at it the first time I used it. Well I'm not. It's a wonderful little machine that is far from being a toy like some of my friends said! I really don't know how I've got along with out it. We use it every day!! LUTT

Thanks for the feedback. With your experience that really means something.

I've gotten a lot of use out my NH backhoe attachment too. I really would not like to be without one, toy or not. :laughing: They are so darn handy for light digging chores and the occasional not so light rock or stump. A hyd. thumb would be icing on the cake for me.

I don't know if you will ever get the smoothness of a large machine, mine can be jerky, especially when the arms are extended horizontally out while using the swing. That's a lot of weight swinging around for what is controlling it and the weight of the tractor anchoring it. It can get to bouncing a bit which ends up making the hands on the controls bounce a bit too sometimes. That's small potatoes for leaving the hand shovel in the garage. :laughing:

/ Building a small farm.
Thanks for the feedback. With your experience that really means something. I've gotten a lot of use out my NH backhoe attachment too. I really would not like to be without one, toy or not. :laughing: They are so darn handy for light digging chores and the occasional not so light rock or stump. A hyd. thumb would be icing on the cake for me. I don't know if you will ever get the smoothness of a large machine, mine can be jerky, especially when the arms are extended horizontally out while using the swing. That's a lot of weight swinging around for what is controlling it and the weight of the tractor anchoring it. It can get to bouncing a bit which ends up making the hands on the controls bounce a bit too sometimes. That's small potatoes for leaving the hand shovel in the garage. :laughing:
THANKS!! Thats good to know about the controls on yours. I was thinking I was alone on that. A hydraulic thumb would be nice, I thought about converting mine someday. It's not something that important at the time. Your exactly right about handy! They are very much so! LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #24  
Very nice! You are years and years ahead of where we are heading but we just started a few months ago with raw land and no improvements. I enjoy looking at how other people have there infrastructure set up, it gives me ideas which lead to plans. I will be following along on your venture and may steal an idea or two. :)

/ Building a small farm.
Very nice! You are years and years ahead of where we are heading but we just started a few months ago with raw land and no improvements. I enjoy looking at how other people have there infrastructure set up, it gives me ideas which lead to plans. I will be following along on your venture and may steal an idea or two. :)
Thanks, there is a wealth of information on here and help! I would like to start with raw land, but I think we have found our place. Steal away! LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #26  
Thanks Lutt, raw land has been fun, since it was so dense with Ash Junipers that you could not walk through the property. At times I wish we hadn't started with nothing, but then the beauty of the land and our vision of what it will become makes it easier to deal with.

You have more toys to play with than I do, I could use a backhoe almost daily, but it will wait and I will live vicariously through you and others until we decide we cannot live without one.

/ Building a small farm.
Your welcome, there is 2 things on my little tractor I wouldn't want to be without. My 60" John Deere box blade and backhoe, both made by Woods. I have pulled up roots and small stumps with the rippers on the blade, leveled out pads for various things. And the backhoe is obvious. If I was planing on building. That is 2 things I would have in the barn for sure. Just buy quality, it makes a world of difference when you really are relying on those things to do task that you need done! LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #28  
Quality implements we're a must when we bought our little red machine, ours are made locally and very substantially. I refused Howse stuff when we were gathering quotes. I have got more use out of the box blade and rippers than I thought I would and the FEL has been a blessing. Every time I need a backhoe I kick myself for not getting it in the package. Failure is always the best teacher, even after almost 51 years. Fortunately I can learn from others, unfortunately it is sometimes delayed.

/ Building a small farm.
I just purchased the hoe this year, I needed it a few years ago. But funds wouldn't allow. I'm wanting to build a toothbar and put on the loader. May try to that before I go back to work. Finally warped the bucket on the loader, Deere buckets aren't the stoutest. So I'm gonna have to put a new bottom pan in. And I sure know what you mean, I can learn a lot from others, but sometimes it takes me a while! LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #30  
What's new? You got all your firewood stocked up?