Building a small farm.

/ Building a small farm.
Hope you had a great Christmas!
Thanks Bo! Didn't get much work done in the last month with deer and duck seasons in fill swing. Me and the girls were to busy hunting! I spent Christmas down here in NOLA we are finishing repair on one of our Main engines that needed a crankshaft replacement. But we had ours before I left home. Hope you had a great Christmas and a super good New Year! LUTT

/ Building a small farm.
Hello guys, been off a while. Pending divorce is over and have a few questions about some things. I have found a feller with a mulching head on a tracked Kubota skidsteer to finish cleaning up 8 or so acres of my place! I was wandering if any one has sowed Bermuda grass on top of the mulch that he will leave behind. I will be sowing it with a fertilize buggy mixed with fertilize. I have done this a lot on regular pasture with success. Never have delt with mulch before. I do plan on irrigation after the seed is sowed to make it stick. Also if someone around me is cleaning there broiler houses out, probly gonna put out chicken litter also! THANKS LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #43  
I sewed K31 on my 7.5 acres I had mulched years back. The mulch head not only mulched, but kind of tilled that top layer too, so it actually went very well.

I took my Rokon and hooked a 4' chain harrow to it and drug it all and got a lot of excess sticks/limbs picked up and kind of smoothed it all out. I then used a broadcast sack spreader and walked the whole area. IIRC, I put down about 400 or 450 lbs of K31. I then flipped the chain harrows over and drug it all again to kind of embed the seed.

This worked very well. Had beautiful grass come up on whole property.

What didn't work well: eventually everything else came back up too. Weeds, briars, vines, blackberries, saplings out of the remainder of the stumps, poison ivy - everything.

If I had had the equipment at the time, I would have 24D'd it or the like and been able to keep under control through normal bush-hogging or mowing of any sort.

I did not have the equipment, so didn't and frankly mowed the easiest areas to mow with my lawn tractor every so often over the course of about 3-4 years until I bought my first tractor. The other areas got out of hand and went right back to wild in the following years since then. I only kept about half of it in mowable shape and now literally mow those areas with my belly mower on my BX-2370.

I do plan to get it back under control now that I have the equipment and have recovered some sections since I finally bought the first tractor a few years ago. Mainly it will take time and concentrated effort from here on to get back to where I wanted it to be originally. Primarily once I get stuff reclaimed to a decent degree, I will need to spray for weeds and stuff to get back to grass or even pastureland. The biggest thing that I'm struggling with is the privet. That crap is everywhere that I wasn't able to stay on top of and it is out of hand.

My advice, get this work done, sew your grass, then stay on top of it from day one.

The only other thing is that stumps are decaying and now I find the occasional whole and have to fill with dirt. Also, I have found and know exactly where they are, the stumps that didn't get mulched to ground level, but left a couple inches high or unevenly cut.

Good luck.

/ Building a small farm.
Thanks a lot thats some good information. I do have a way to stay on top of it. Between the tractor and a sprayer I am thinking about purchasing for the bed of my ranger. Then eventually the cows will be turned loose on it. I am gonna start spraying to keep my other pastures clean. Thanks LUTT

/ Building a small farm. #45  
If you're planning on cows, you could just run your fence and turn them loose...they'll work a lot of the brush down for you...?

/ Building a small farm.
If you're planning on cows, you could just run your fence and turn them loose...they'll work a lot of the brush down for you...?
yes sir, a lot of people do that. But I want to get my grass established before turning cows on it. I'm a firm believer in strip grazing and taking care of the grass. By the way, before some one hammers strip grazing, I graze down to three inches. I don't want the compaction the cows will do, this is all cut over timber with small trees and stumps also. They need gone. Also the mulch should help hold my washy soil! THANKS LUTT

/ Building a small farm.
Well a lot has went on since last post. I'm gonna have to start updating as I go. The Mulcher guy that was supposed to show up when I got in from last hitch didn't. Balled and said it was gonna be after the Fourth of July before he could get there. So i hired a fellow I know with a 450g deere dozer . He has a rake and has done pretty much what I needed. Mostly under brushing and small trees. Also built quite a bit more fence. This is only letting me post one pic at a time. LUTT

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Building a small farm.
   / Building a small farm.
Not gonna do it'

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Building a small farm.
Tried again