Buying Advice Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet?

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #1  

olgreyhair

Tractor
John Deere 445

Hello all. So, I've been researching, lurking, fatasizing about my first tractor. All the usual stuff we do. But sometimes I see these great tractors on TractorHouse or Machinery Pete's etc. for a good price, low hours etc. How do you buy from an equipment dealer site unseen and not get taken?

Is it a bad idea? I just don't know enough not to get taken for a ride. Seems like it could be fine but, if you buy without seeing, once it gets delivered you own it. No going back.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice. Thanks.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #3  
Some people know what to look for and get some really good deals; unless you know what you are doing and/or can afford to risk the money; don't try it. Even the best wheeler dealers have gotten burned a few times.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #4  
I would never buy anything unseen,I would make arrangements to go see the tractor before buying it. If the dealer requests a deposit to hold I would make sure with the understanding if the tractor does not meet with your approval the deposit would be fully refunded. Best thing is to visit with local dealers first close to home.Also buying far from home you will have to make arrangements to have the tractor shipped home, what seemed like a good deal could really get expensive just getting the equipment home.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #5  
I bought factory direct with no dealer support.... but that's a new machine, not a used one. That would scare me unless I had a trusted source to check it out for me, or a written guarantee.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #6  
I wouldn't buy used that way, but i did new.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #7  
I have bought a skid steer, two tracked crawlers, and a tractor all site unseen and all used. I did look at a ton of pictures and video but pulled the trigger without seeing them. All three are still going strong and no major issues. Maybe I got lucky.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #8  
I would not have any issue buying an internet purchase if I could see it first. If that's not possible all you have is the word of the seller. I had a friend purchase a Gleaner combine from out of state over the internet. He had a contact available to check out the unit prior to purchase and everything was as the dealer described. If I could not see the purchase in person I would have someone that I trust check it out if possible even if I had to pay them.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #9  
I bought brand new in 1982 from a dealer that many said I could trust. They were right. In 2009 I bought my second brand new tractor from the exact same dealer. This dealership is owned by a farming family and in the 36+ years I've dealt with them - NEVER a bad moment. I don't even think this dealership would know how to initiate a bad deal.

I would STRONGLY recommend you buy local and from a dealership that has earned sufficient trust to be recommended by locals also.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #10  
I wouldn't take the chance,as they say you buy it you own it which may cost you more $$$'s down the road....gut feelings.