Buying Advice Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet?

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #21  
Yup. that's about what i thought you would all say. Use the online advertising to find a tractor close enough to go see for yourself, or send a trusted third party.

Neil from Messick's. Do you ever search other dealers around your area for specific used models requested by a buyer and bring them in? You're probably way too busy for that, but i'm curious if somebody wants a Kubota xxxx with a backhoe and can't afford a new one, will you help them find a used one?

Thank you all for your time.

Not so much with compacts, they sell so fast its hard to get your hands on them. We do that for big AG equipment.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #23  

Hello all. So, I've been researching, lurking, fatasizing about my first tractor. All the usual stuff we do. But sometimes I see these great tractors on TractorHouse or Machinery Pete's etc. for a good price, low hours etc. How do you buy from an equipment dealer site unseen and not get taken?

Is it a bad idea? I just don't know enough not to get taken for a ride. Seems like it could be fine but, if you buy without seeing, once it gets delivered you own it. No going back.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice. Thanks.

We sell lots of our pre-owned tractors online. I attribute our success to being able to address most Customer's concerns. On each unit, we show 12 pics with magnification capabilities, offer a 5 minute video of the tractor going through basic functions, offer a video of the tractor being load tested on the dyno and a video of the tractor's hydraulic 3 point lift being tested under load. In addition, we provide the tractor's history and summary of specs. The best advice to anyone buying online, is to buy from a dealer that has a long history of satisfying their customers needs.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet?
Thanks for the counter point Ken.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #25  
I am in Canada and bought a used tractor from Ohio without seeing it. Was purchased from a large dealership in Ohio. I saw a multitude of pictures and a video. Was happy with what i say and after a few phone calls, bought it.

Paid by credit card ( after calling my CC company to pre advise re charge ) and faxed a copy of my drivers license.
Seller advised me that shipping would be delayed 2 weeks while they waited for CC charge to go through, since was out of country, and then they prepped it for shipping, advising me when ready to go.
I was unable to pick up myself, so contacted a Custom's Broker who organized everything including trucking.

Was funny as I was on my way to a farm show when got a call on my cell phone from the trucker. Told me bout and hour out from my house so I turned around and got there just as he was dropping it off.

Tractor was just as described and ran perfectly.

Good experience.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #26  

Hello all. So, I've been researching, lurking, fatasizing about my first tractor. All the usual stuff we do. But sometimes I see these great tractors on TractorHouse or Machinery Pete's etc. for a good price, low hours etc. How do you buy from an equipment dealer site unseen and not get taken?

Is it a bad idea? I just don't know enough not to get taken for a ride. Seems like it could be fine but, if you buy without seeing, once it gets delivered you own it. No going back.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice. Thanks.

If you mean used equipment you need a trusted 3rd party inspector.

Iron planet
had a service like that.

/edit - just checked, they still do

I'd like to modify that statement - There are three dealers that based on years of TBN praise I wouldn't be concerned about the quality of used equipment:
Barlow's
Messicks
Ken Sweet

And - is "fatazing" a typo, Freudian slip or meant?

Fatazing - Sitting around over the winter watching dealers videos of tractors while munching.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet?
   / Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #28  
It's a big risk, certainly. Check out "Guy in WY" on YouTube... He recently purchased a couple that way and has had issues.

You're going to want to do everything you can to determine the condition before committing. If you have someone in the area of the tractor see if they can go check it out for you. That's what I did a year ago for my JD 2520.

I found it on-line at a small sales place in TX (I'm in MN). It was several thousand less than other 2520s I've seen. Partially, I suspect, because it had zero attachments with it and also because selling tractors was only a side business for the place that had it. They had taken it in on trade for some other equipment and were looking to turn it. Fortunately my parents spend the winter in TX and were only a little over an hour away from the place. I talked a bunch with the seller and then sent my dad over to put hands on it, drive it around, and verify the condition. The sale was smooth and everything has been perfect and I ended up with a nice, clean 2520 for about 3 grand less than I otherwise would have. I did end up driving down to pick it up and trailer it home anyway, but the deal was done by then. You could consider doing that if you have the tow vehicle & trailer.

That said, even if you were present yourself there are things you might not catch that could make a used vehicle a lemon. Unless you're a mechanic with experience on what to dig into really all you can do it judge it by condition, hours, etc. There are tons of threads everywhere that help you assess a used tractor so I won't try to add to it. In the end you just have to play the odds and do your best. If things seem decent (low hours, tires look good, machine is clean and well kept) then the odds are with you. If it looks rough you better be getting a smokin' deal and be OK with big additional costs.

Rob

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #29  
It's a big risk, certainly. Check out "Guy in WY" on YouTube... He recently purchased a couple that way and has had issues.

That said, even if you were present yourself there are things you might not catch that could make a used vehicle a lemon. Unless you're a mechanic with experience on what to dig into really all you can do it judge it by condition, hours, etc. There are tons of threads everywhere that help you assess a used tractor so I won't try to add to it. In the end you just have to play the odds and do your best. If things seem decent (low hours, tires look good, machine is clean and well kept) then the odds are with you. If it looks rough you better be getting a smokin' deal and be OK with big additional costs.

Rob

A qualified mechanic won't catch everything either. CONSIDER a member has a tractor with a ground up[ washer in the tranny. Nobody would ever catch that unless you would give a guy a free $300 oil change.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #30  
Just one comment, DONT DO IT..