Buying Advice Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet?

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #11  
I have bought a skid steer, two tracked crawlers, and a tractor all site unseen and all used. I did look at a ton of pictures and video but pulled the trigger without seeing them. All three are still going strong and no major issues. Maybe I got lucky.

I bought a Mitsubishi bulldozer out of Japan back in the late 90's. Only had 100 hours on the meter, tracks came with rubber pads bolted to the (I removed), looked like it had never even been in dirt. Great machine, great price. Had an 8 way blade ! (side shift left/right). I built all the roads on my farm, did a bunch of grading, sold it 10 years later at 600hrs for more than I paid.

Only thing wrong with it is steering clutch on one side didn't work right. Took it out (also an easy job, remove ring of bolts on both sides and lift it out....nothing like my old John Deere 350). The hydraulic caliper that operated the clutch pack had a leaking O ring.....had to have been pinched when assembled at the factory....leaked fluid on the clutch pack. One O ring, some replaced dry clutch discs and it was new again....maybe a 200 buck repair. Never put another dime in maintenance rest of the time I owned it.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #12  
I recently bought a tractor privately without physical seeing it. However I did organise for a pre-purchase inspection that cost me $300. I received a comprehensive report, plenty of photos and a number of videos of the tractor in operation whilst the test was conducted.

You do obviously risk the cost of the inspection, but I gained a large amount of confidence on what I bought. I did also have a right for refusal when I physically pick it up, thus if the pictured had lied I would have not handed over the rest of the money.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #13  
I live in ID and just bought a new 2015 TYM tractor from a dealer in TX completely online...never actually saw the machine prior to delivery. I have no complaints with the tractor (OK...a few very minor issues but nothing serious) and got a fantastic price. I did a LOT of research beforehand, though. There are pros and cons to buying on line. You need to decide if it's right for you.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #14  
I would never buy used sight unseen unless I had a trusted third party do the inspection for me. Tractor House is just a listing service and anybody can sell there that wants to - it is buyer beware. Machinery Pete sells tractors and equipment - that is his business. He seems like a nice guy but once you bought it its yours. take the risk if you want to but I wouldn't.

to give an example when i bought my Versatile 150 i drove six hours one way to check it out before I made the deal. I was told the dealer was honest and they certainly proved to be but it still is a used piece of equipment. Even if you buy it and find a problem and they are willing to take it back there is shipping costs to be addressed.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #15  

Hello all. So, I've been researching, lurking, fatasizing about my first tractor. All the usual stuff we do. But sometimes I see these great tractors on TractorHouse or Machinery Pete's etc. for a good price, low hours etc. How do you buy from an equipment dealer site unseen and not get taken?

Is it a bad idea? I just don't know enough not to get taken for a ride. Seems like it could be fine but, if you buy without seeing, once it gets delivered you own it. No going back.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice. Thanks.
If you mean used equipment you need a trusted 3rd party inspector.

I would never buy used sight unseen unless I had a trusted third party do the inspection for me. Tractor House is just a listing service and anybody can sell there that wants to - it is buyer beware. Machinery Pete sells tractors and equipment - that is his business. He seems like a nice guy but once you bought it its yours. take the risk if you want to but I wouldn't.

to give an example when i bought my Versatile 150 i drove six hours one way to check it out before I made the deal. I was told the dealer was honest and they certainly proved to be but it still is a used piece of equipment. Even if you buy it and find a problem and they are willing to take it back there is shipping costs to be addressed.

Iron planet
had a service like that.

/edit - just checked, they still do

Last edited:
   / Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #16  
I bought my 1949 JD B sight unseen off Craigslist. The seller posted a dozen photos and gave a link to a YouTube video showing that tractor mowing his hayfield. That was enough for me to pull the trigger.

Good luck

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #17  
If all other methods fail you could use yellow pages, find a local dealer and have him do an inspection.
Naturally there would be a fee, maybe a couple hours of labor rates + mileage, but that would better your odds and at a reasonable rate.

Another option is a friendly TBN member that is nearby.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet?
Yup. that's about what i thought you would all say. Use the online advertising to find a tractor close enough to go see for yourself, or send a trusted third party.

Neil from Messick's. Do you ever search other dealers around your area for specific used models requested by a buyer and bring them in? You're probably way too busy for that, but i'm curious if somebody wants a Kubota xxxx with a backhoe and can't afford a new one, will you help them find a used one?

Thank you all for your time.

/ Buying a tractor site unseen over the internet? #20  
Hi, well bought plenty of large things online and unseen (just a few Pics). This was as I was dealing with Vanagons.
It has risk, so you will have to weigh this Pro and Con. If this your first Tractor I would use extreme caution.
As I was Buying them I was buying them from extremely cheap (about 10-20% of my lowest resell prices), if they where in worse condition I just parted them out. But If I would have just bought it to use, I would have been burnt bad on a few.
Even using independent Inspectors, I am not really a fan of. Since I haven't been impressed with there services.
At the end you make the choice, but when you calculate Item, Shipping & Inspector it should still have significance saving. Otherwise saving a little might not be worth it.
Good Luck