Buying parts and supplies on line

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #1  

Gkk20011

Tractor
Kubota L3800
I am wondering if it is just me. I want to support my local dealer but find parts are marked up between 25 and even 40% plus tax. (I calculate the markups are 25.00 and 40.00, obviously a sweeping computer change.) Shipping for ordered items is also tacked on. So I cannot help but buy on line (Messick痴).

Savings really add up when you consider the total cost of regular servicing let alone unforeseen items. I suspect this topic has been beaten to death but thought I would bring it up again for a refreshing look and discussion. I want to hear your thoughts. Am I being unreasonable?

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #2  
All things being even I'll support my local dealer. If things aren't close equal I'll buy online in a heartbeat. My local dealer is usually competitive with online prices from reputable sources though. I tend to not consider eBay reputable as there is a lot of counterfeit stuff there.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #3  
If the folks behind the parts counter at my dealer had a modicum of courtesy and perhaps smile once or twice I would buy locally but they don’t. So I buy mostly online for the best price.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #4  
Also like to support my local dealers but...just this week I save $36 purchasing oil filters trimmer string set mower blades from Amazon.com free shipping and never left home. :confused3:

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #5  
I'd be happy to pay a bit of a premium to support the local dealer - if the local dealer would support me. They burned their bridges with me a few years ago.

The two other dealers within a two-hour drive were first-rate. One has since closed but thankfully the other is still there. If I'm in the area I'll shop with them, or make a special drive for big-ticket stuff. Their sales, service, and parts people are excellent, and I'd like to help them stay that way. Some consumables I'll buy online if I can't justify the drive.

Z.

Last edited:
   / Buying parts and supplies on line #6  
I buy all filters from Amazon or Coleman. This includes oil, air, hydraulic and fuel for my tractor, mower, generator, and ATV. I also buy engine oil and grease on line. I buy the hydraulic oil from the Kubota dealer because of the volume (4 gallons). The Kubota dealer is good, but it is a 45 minute drive.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #7  
I use my “local” dealer when I can. They’ll pick up my tractor for service for no charge. Of course I could drive there but it would take me an hour in high range and 2100 rpms.....

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #8  
I use my “local” dealer when I can. They’ll pick up my tractor for service for no charge. Of course I could drive there but it would take me an hour in high range and 2100 rpms.....
My dealer charges $150 to pickup and drop off the machine, even for warranty work. That’s why I don’t have any “loyalty” to them per se, other than I will only own Kubota machines. In fact, I just bought and installed a starter for my Kubota zero turn with 82 hours on it because of the haulage cost. I fixed a Kubota machine under warranty at my own cost.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #9  
My dealer charges $150 to pickup and drop off the machine, even for warranty work. That’s why I don’t have any “loyalty” to them per se, other than I will only own Kubota machines. In fact, I just bought and installed a starter for my Kubota zero turn with 82 hours on it because of the haulage cost. I fixed a Kubota machine under warranty at my own cost.
My dealer got me a replacement loader hose under warranty based off of photos. It was easier to do the labor myself than load & haul the machine even though I had the trailer. They wanted the old hose back, but it wasnt urgent. I consider that a win & worth supporting my local dealer.

They picked up my new L4060 free of charge when it had issues right off the bat. Not sure what they charge normally as I've never asked as I can haul it myself & do all the time for jobs.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #10  
I buy all my parts online.
For my tractor, side by side, zero turn, motorcycle, (car, truck - local auto parts store) I have never been back to the dealer to buy a part for any.

Last edited: