Buying parts and supplies on line

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #21  
Living here in Canada, shipping is just ridiculous. Buying from the US is out of the question, unless I employ some kind of underground railroad scheme. Makes no sense that I can buy from China, E-Bay, FREE SHIPPING. But not next door! Not like I see the stuff any time soon, but usually that isn't an issue.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #22  
I am wondering if it is just me. I want to support my local dealer but find parts are marked up between 25 and even 40% plus tax. (I calculate the markups are 25.00 and 40.00, obviously a sweeping computer change.) Shipping for ordered items is also tacked on. So I cannot help but buy on line (Messick痴).

Savings really add up when you consider the total cost of regular servicing let alone unforeseen items. I suspect this topic has been beaten to death but thought I would bring it up again for a refreshing look and discussion. I want to hear your thoughts. Am I being unreasonable?

My dealer is right around online prices, but are sometimes a little cheaper. The only downside is that they usually take 2-3 weeks to get something in if it needs to be ordered. I've only ordered non stocked parts for my older machines so perhaps that's the problem.

I've used both Messicks and Coleman. Messicks will charge me about $15 to ship a small order and Coleman is about half that. Both places are fast.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #23  
If I had a good reliable dealer that wasn’t 45 minutes to an hour away that was willing to take care of me after the sale, I would try to buy from them first, unless online prices were significantly cheaper. The day the dealership sold me the wrong engine oil which was discussed in another thread, I asked the salesman about pricing a float valve(L7354), second position stacking kit(L7364), and third position stacking kit(L7384) for my l2501. He told me the same as when I bought the tractor, $1100 for one valve installed. I explained to him I already had the regular valve valve and the detent valve and could install it myself. He asked me if I had got them off of another persons tractor tractor because they didn’t need them and wanted to know how I got them, like it was a secret to get remotes for a tractor. I told him no they were new and I had ordered them online and got the numbers for them out of the wholegoods catalog. He said the manager would have to price the valves and call me because he was at lunch and he was the only one with access to the catalog and pricing. He took my number down, which was already in the system from buying the tractor, and I had just spent 200 or $300 on filters and a few other things to do the 1st service on the l2501 and extra super udt2 for both tractors. That’s been a month or two ago and still haven’t ever got a price on the valve and stacking kits. I had emailed a few online companies and had responses in a day or two. When online dealerships take better care of you in this day in age and you don’t have to leave home, work, etc. it a lot easier to do business with them.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #24  
Living here in Canada, shipping is just ridiculous. Buying from the US is out of the question, unless I employ some kind of underground railroad scheme. Makes no sense that I can buy from China, E-Bay, FREE SHIPPING. But not next door! Not like I see the stuff any time soon, but usually that isn't an issue.

Luckily I'm very close to the border. Anything that is beyond stupid to ship up here directly I'll have shipped to a UPS store in NY - about a 45 minute round trip. The problem is sometimes companies don't like US shipping addresses and Canadian billing addresses.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #25  
So far my Kubota dealer is still the only dealer I still deal with. I still like him. Everyone else has pee'd me off so I buy everything online now.

Just some of my most recent examples.

1. Coil packs for my 5.4 Ford. Saved over $800 buying online.

2. Brand new rad for my Polaris Sportsman 500. Dealer $500 Got mine for $120

3. Electric fan for same bike. Dealer $267 Got mine for $76

Kinda makes me not care if every local store goes out of business. I'll still be working until the world no longer needs roads and highways, LOL.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #26  

I buy a fair number of parts from Rockauto. I'll open two windows with the same parts on the order. One shipping to my US freight depot an hour and a half away and the other shipping to my Canadian address. I pay a roughly $5 CAD/parcel handling charge at FedEx in the US.

If I figure all that into the cost of getting the parcels often there is very little reason to make the trip to the States. My cutoff point is at around the $100 shipping mark. Sometimes though it's been cheaper to just get the parcels shipped directly to my address in Canada.

One time I had major work on a 2004 Duramax 3500. Shipping was to be around $160 so I went and picked the parts up. I compared prices on a few pieces and was up to several hundred $ difference online vs the local NAPA. I probably saved about $1500 CAD on the parts alone. The whole work order ended up being around $4000. I did not fell guilty about shopping online!

One problem I've had is sometimes not getting the right parts. Now I shop by the option code sticker on the vehicle. It took about 2 hours to figure it all out but every part I ordered on the above job was the right one.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #27  
We needed a turbo for the New Holland and the quote was $1200.
Found it on line from China and received it 2 days later for a landed taxes paid price of under $300!

Profit is one thing but greed is hard to take.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #28  
if the dealer has it in stock i'll pay a premium to get it NOW.

But if they ahve to order it..that's two trips in for me and a wait...sorry, i'll go online.

I've started using RockAuto a LOT - wiper blades ($3) and I needed a headlight bulb - $23.98 was cheapest local price...rockauto? $2.38 and $2.99 shipping. I needed an alternator for my subaru - $90 vs $280 locally (or 180 if they order something).

Just ordered blades for my 3pt finish mower last night..$49 and free shipping. I have no idea on local prices or if TSC/RK/HD would have had them in stock. When it needed a belt it was $40-60 everywhere...vbeltguys.com - $8. Yes, EIGHT DOLLARS and it's working great.

When I needed a belt for my tiller (1/4 the length if that) TSC had it for $15. I was back tilling in 20 minutes. I'll pay for that convenience.

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #29  
Three dollars for wiper blades at Rock Auto, LOL. I got caught with a bad wiper on my F150 while on the road so I stopped at a Napa to buy blades. $70.00!!!!!

/ Buying parts and supplies on line #30  
OK, not tractor related-----------
I purchase my car parts on line and have offered my mechanic the option to add a few $$'s to the labor costs.
He agreed and now my auto maintenance has been reduced by a whole lot.
Shucks I even tip each mechanic that works on my car. (they now address me by name when I drop in)
Everybody happy including me and my costs well below any dealer shop.
PS, I like to keep cars for, like 10-12 years and like them to be reliable, hate depreciation on new vehicles.
Mostly I like to purchase a one owner 'off lease' 3 year unit with as low mileage as possible, and never a short term rental unit.
My last buy had 36000 Kms on a Kia Sorento that still had not a sign of rust under the under side.
Shrewd shopping is however very time consuming but in the long term worthy.
Hey, retired it is just a game.

I hear you there PILOON. I keep vehicles until they turn to dust. Automobiles are the biggest money loosing pieces of junk that are a necessary buy.
Last new stuff I bought was in 2013. One of them was a new VW Jetta. Paid $25,000 for it. 18 months later I get an email from my dealer wanting me to trade it in because they needed used Jetta's on the lot. So they explained to me how good it would be since my car was paid for and I would do good on the trade.
So I said give me a number. They said we can give you $11,000! I said I'm sure you can! Good bye. LOL