Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on?

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #11  
I honestly find removing the deck on my X740 really easy and quick. However, I am coming from using a Craftsman machine which involved 7 cotter pins that had to be removed. The only way to do so was to lay down on the ground and use pliers. Also, you can't get to all of them from one side, so you end up getting up again only to lay down on the other side.

I love that the gauge wheels turn. I simply pick up one end of my mower deck like a wheelbarrow and push it to where I want to store it.

At first I was wondering if I was going to regret getting the 54 inch deck over the 62, but now I am very glad I opted for the 54 inch. It's 50 pounds lighter than the 62 inch, has a substantially better cut quality, so I hear, and obviously does not scalp as much. The 62 inch is too wide for that kind of deck design, and it cannot handle large volumes of tall grass, hence the bad reports of cut quality. More or less, it's just too big. The 54'' also fits through all of my gates but one, and gives me enough room in my garage to walk by the machine without kicking the mower deck. I still have a good amount of deck sticking out on the left side for cutting close to trees and stuff. Unless your ground is nothing but flat straight mowing with no obstacles, I think the 54 is a much better way to go.

I agree with your deck size choice, but more so because of its size and weight, and not so much due to its quality of cut. I've had both and never noticed a difference. I just find the 62" too clumsy to handle and store in the winter. The one nice feature is its ability to get deeper into the corners, where the shorter decks can't reach.

Last edited:
   / Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on?
Well looks like a pr of 740-7I's it will be!

I too like the slide out design of the earlier decks. I actually preferred the J hook attach that my older one has to teh V notch of the newer ones.

None of that is a factor now as I'll be driving over the deck.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #13  
I will be riding around on my X740 with a low monthly payment, while the 2013 buyers will be getting raked over the coals for a lesser machine.

How to win friends and influence people. :laughing: All those poor 2013 buyers will love this.

Well I have one secured, but the dealer sold the other so now I wait to see what they come up with....

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #15  
How to win friends and influence people. :laughing: All those poor 2013 buyers will love this.

LOL! :laughing:

The truth is all consumers have their choice. I chose to take a great deal, available to anybody, and now I gained a lot of machine for a killer price. Those who choose to buy a 2013 at little to no discount and a higher MSRP will have to accept that fact because they chose to ignore the great deals on remaining 2012 units.

Well I just might be one of those poor ignorant SOB's that gets "raked over the coals" you never know. Doesn't look lik ethere are any 740's availble in WI.

Seriously honey vs vinegar. Think about it...

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #17  
Well I just might be one of those poor ignorant SOB's that gets "raked over the coals" you never know. Doesn't look lik ethere are any 740's availble in WI.QUOTE]

Did you ask your dealer if he could order a X740? Deere had some of the 2012 X700 series still in stock waiting for dealer orders. At least two weeks ago they did but I don't know if there were any X740s.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #18  
Well I just might be one of those poor ignorant SOB's that gets "raked over the coals" you never know. Doesn't look lik ethere are any 740's availble in WI.

Seriously honey vs vinegar. Think about it...

I don't think that you can go wrong with either. I chose the 2012 because of the good price, the extra weight and the established track record. I also liked the "brawnier" look of the 2012 better. Having said all that, would I have had a problem if there were no 740s left and I had to go with a 750? Yeah right.

Congrats on whatever you end up with. You are going to be happy I'm sure.

No 740's at Deere any more. I'll see what tomorow brings. The $1000 program has been extended thru July 31. Nothing but a financing deal on the signature series which does not help me. The $1700 spread is killing me. I like the 750, but not $1700 more than the 740. I also like the yellow deck contrast.

/ Buying x740 versus new x750 what am I missing out on? #20  
No 740's at Deere any more. I'll see what tomorow brings. The $1000 program has been extended thru July 31. Nothing but a financing deal on the signature series which does not help me. The $1700 spread is killing me. I like the 750, but not $1700 more than the 740. I also like the yellow deck contrast.

Is there none left? I guess there wouldn't be when you think of it. It's pretty well March now. This is the time of year a lot of people buy new equipment to prepare for the coming season, and it will sell steady right into the end of summer. John Deere is likely pushing these new models hard, so they want all 2012 models gone. Probably to give you no choice, that way you have to take a new X7 series if you want one.

I'm not trying to say the new X7's are bad machines, far from it. All I am saying is when you look at the proven track record, and the specs, and than the current pricing on the 2012, all of that stuff combined makes it a better buy, in my opinion.

I know all dealerships within 300 miles of me are sold out of ALL 2012 diesel X7's. They still have some X728s left and a few X720 models, but all the diesels are gone.

I can totally understand where your coming from on price difference. $1,700 is a LOT of price difference. It's hard to pay full price for a 2013 when you know the deals on the 2012s are amazing.

I think with March here now, the problem will be finding any 2012 models left, not trying to decide if you want one or not.