BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual)

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #1  

bgsiii

I have narrowed it down two either the BX22 or CK20....any thoughts on the benefits of the Hydrostatic transmission vs Manual? The BX22 only comes with the HST but the CK20 comes with either.

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #2  
HST, drive one and you'll have your answer.

I can tell by the subject that you have not physically seen these tractors up close. I used to compare the BX22 to the CK20.... until I saw both and drove both. It's not a fair comparison for the BX22 maybe the B7500 or B7800, but the BX22, no way. Pull up the specs on both esp width, heigth, weight and even tire size, then do it with the B7500/7800 and you'll see what I mean. Then start pricing them, from my experience the highiest kioti price still beat the lowest kubota price. I have a CK20H/loader/BH on order now, expecting delivery next month. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

just my 12 cents

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #3  
For loader work, runing the PTO, the hydro is the most efficient of your time and money. That doesn't even cover the safety aspect of the two as the hydro is like having a dead man petal. The extra money spent for the Kubota now over the price of the competeing models will be given in two fold when the day to replace or just retire the unit comes.

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #4  
<font color="blue">The extra money spent for the Kubota now over the price of the competeing models will be given in two fold when the day to replace or just retire the unit comes. </font>

I would challenge that statement. Similiar statements were made about Kubota 10-15 years ago. Kioti is building a well thought out, quality product which will pay good dividends (resale) as their number of tractors sold, dealers and market share increase over time.

Don

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #5  
I gotta jump in here with you, Don. I think Kioti & Mahindra (at least the Korean stuff) are in the same position Kubota was in 15 years ago. They are making a significant investment in infrastructure, distribution, dealerships, parts, and support. If resale is an issue for someone, it is possible that owners will actually make a profit 10 years down the road - if they can be pursuaded to trade their "babies" in....

Regarding the comparison of the CK20 and BX22, I agree that the CK goes more against the B's. A better comparison of the BX would be the subcompact TC's from New Holland, which can be had with a hydrostatic tranny.

Finally, there are never-ending debates about the gear/hydro going on all over this site in every forum, so I would recommend going back and reading them.

Mark

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #6  
I believe Art is correct right now. And, in my opinion, none of us know whether that will be the case 10 years from now, although I think the odds are in Art's favor. And of course, we'll never know unless enough people buy the other brands (as they did the Kubotas) to see whether they'll be as successful in the future. I do think Kioti has a better chance of going the way Kubota did rather than the way Belarus did, but we'll see some day 'cause they could go either way. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #7  
<font color="blue">I think Kioti & Mahindra (at least the Korean stuff) are in the same position Kubota was in 15 years ago. They are making a significant investment in infrastructure, distribution, dealerships, parts, and support. If resale is an issue for someone, it is possible that owners will actually make a profit 10 years down the road - if they can be pursuaded to trade their "babies" in....
</font>

Well said Mark. Kioti and Mahindra are "Up and Comers". One thing I like about Kioti is all thier tractors are manufactured by Kioti(daedong), Mahindra is outsourcing some of thiers. If I'm understanding correctly the new "15" hydro series are built by Mitsu for Mahindra.

Don

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual)
Thanks to all for your posts....glad to hear the various points of view, they all help in making the final decision.

I have seen both the BX22 and CK20 and agree they are not necessarily in the same category, the B7500 may be a better comparision with the CK20. I guess I am still up in the air on the benefit of a slightly larger machine. I have received quotes of $15,750 for a BX22 and $19,800 for a B7500 with FEL and backhoe. The later pushing the limits of my budget, I started looking into the CK20, hope to have a quote on that one tomorrow.

My property is 5 acres and is 90% wooded with moderate to steep grades. I am mostly looking for a machine for excavation, drainage, dragging out trees for firewood. Think the BX22 will have enough power and offers a lower center of gravity but think the CK20 may be better suited for my needs. My concern was also with the HST and possible loss of power when climbing hills. Having inspected both machines, and with the benefit of an Engineering backgound, I am satisifed that both machines are well made. The Kubota dealer is only 10 minutes down the road and is clearly a well established business whereas the Kioti dealer is 45 minutes away with what would appear to be limited operational resources, though I admit I have not had the chance to talk with the dealer directly.

Maybe time for a test drive. Thanks to all.

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #9  
I sell Kioti and Massey Ferguson's. The Massey GC2300 is comperable to the Kubota BX 2200 the Massey 2310 is the competition to the BX22. I have put the GC2300 up against the CK20 and for me the GC wins. My problem with the CK is that when you are in high range it has no guts at all. You have to be in low range to mow if you have any hills at all. When you hit any kind of grade in high range it boggs the tractor down. I think they need to lower the ratio of the high range, low is too low high is too high. And the GC is two grand cheaper.

/ BX22 or CK20 (HST or Manual) #10  
"90% wooded with moderate to steep grades" sounds like my property, and my uses are very similar as well. Since you did not mention mowing (I don't use mine for mowing), then the general consensus that the subcompacts are better "lawnmowers" is not a factor.

I started out with a subcompact (JD2210) similar to the BX, meaning lower ground clearance (~ 7") and smaller diameter tires. It was a good machine, but not great for working in the woods, with significantly limited access to some areas. I sold the 2210 and bought a compact (B7500), which was a costly change, a lot more expensive than buying the bigger machine in the first place.

The CK20 has bigger tires which will improve traction. My only concern is how much the backhoe subframe reduces the ground clearance at all times, even with the BH removed. My B7500 3 point backhoe (4672A) can be completely removed when necessary. Having said that, the 4672A is hard to install/remove, not very rigid, and digs no deeper than the BX.

Regarding gear vs. hydro, I love my HST, and would never go back to gear. Just my two cents...