Cab or No Cab

/ Cab or No Cab #82  
I purchased a John Deere cab tractor new in 2012; a 4720 model (66 hp JD turbo diesel) with front end loader. Extremely low hours, perfect, cannot tell it from a brand new one. Also have a "Land Pride" finish mower, & post hole digger with two augers, to go with it. I will sell all, due to divorce. Too bad you're not closer.

/ Cab or No Cab #83  
Holy Smokes! What are you doing there?

Running a rotary cutter in a combination of brush and weeds including lots of ragweed.

/ Cab or No Cab #84  
I just bought a new tractor and I was debating on getting a cab or not..... I kinda wanted on and then again I didn't and I had the money to get one but didn't want to spend it on one..... But my wife was pushing for me to get the cab.... Well we ended up getting a cab and WE LOVE IT!!! So glad we made the right decision.... I plow (with the bucket for now) in a tee shirt...... The wife and kids laugh watching me cause they know I'm out in the cold but in the cab all toasty.

I'm 52, and could stand to lose about 40 pounds, I plow in a speedo with no shirt, gives the neighbors something to talk about:laughing:

Just kidding lol, My Wife also pushed me to get what I really wanted..a cab tractor...I would encourage anyone buying a new tractor to seriously consider a cab.

I was outside plowing snow tonight, and it was snowing so hard, the snow was building up on the hot hood, it was so nice to be warm and comfortable, listening to some good music while pushing snow.

It takes all the work out of it:thumbsup:

This last summer was awesome as well, did alot of loader work, It was hot, the tractor was so dusty on numerous occasions you could hardly tell what color it was, I would have looked like the tractor if I'd of been on a open station, as well as breathing all the dirt.
I stayed nice and cool and clean running the A/C on recirculate.... Oh and the bees nest I unearthed, there was a swarm of them stinging the tractor all over, that would have been a bad thing had I not been in a cab unit.

Get a Cab!

/ Cab or No Cab #85  
I think hearing protection is another real benefit of a cab. We have one open station Kubota B2710 tractor and NH TL100A with cab. Have to wear hearing protection for long term operations on the Kobota. Nice radio music on the New Holland.

/ Cab or No Cab #86  
I bought a cab tractor in Nov. and have been working out in my fields all winter long with really cold temps. I love it. I managed to get things done that I wouldn't have done until spring because of it. It really made getting my farm in order. I was driving in the snow and that was actually a plus because in the spring everything turns to mud with the rains. I did a bunch of fence mending and brush clearing with my grapple on firm(snow covered) ground. It really extends the ability to use it to nearly year round. Hope that helps.

/ Cab or No Cab #87  
I spent thousands of hours driving open station tractors as a teenager and young man.

I'm now 61 years old. When I bought my tractor recently, I decided I had been standing in line long enough to "splurge" on a cab. I have no regrets about getting one. In fact, I'd be having serious buyers remorse if I had not gotten one.

We've had a lot of mosquitos around here the last few summers and West Nile Virus has been a problem. Having a cab doesn't eliminate my exposure to mosquitos, but it reduces it a lot. I hit a yellow jacket nest one day. They were swarming around the cab looking for something to sting. I just grinned and shot them the finger.

If I want some open air, I can either open the rear and side windows or I can get on my BX23.

/ Cab or No Cab #88  
Edit: Deleted double post.

/ Cab or No Cab #89  
I was shopping for something with a few more horses and a cab to replace a B7500. I have limited clearance to get it under roof and it looks like there's no pole barn in my future. The compromise was the L3200 for a 150% HP increase and build the cab to fit. The cab is made in sections and is easy to remove and replace. I do like the open air so the cab was off between last winter and around November 2013. There was a huge and welcome difference being outside in a heated cab after spending more than 20 winters on an open tractor. There were a few days I was out for as many as 7 hours needing only a flannel shirt & jeans.

I may try lifting the doors off and keeping the rest on to keep some of the sun and see if it's hotter or cooler this summer.

/ Cab or No Cab #90  
True, but one can make that argument about any varieties of ways that someone chooses to spend money. :) It's all about value on money spent, not just the amount of that money.

When you stretch any amount of money over 5 years, then over a month, then over a day... it always looks "worth it" to spend the extra dollars - on whatever it is you're trying to analyze.

That's what is great about the marketplace... it's a space where we can all tell the world what is valuable to us via the money we spend! And it creates jobs, commerce and livelihoods! :thumbsup:

That is true, each of us has our own values as to what is worth the money. This is why they built stripped down cars and luxury cars and everything in between, so everyone can find the balance that is needed. For me, now that I can afford it, comfort outweighs bank account balance. My Dad wouldn't buy a tractor with cab / truck AC, any power equipment or even a radio, mainly because he couldn't afford to spend the money, so he sweated on the tractor and in the trucks and cars (so did I when I lived on the farm). Now in my retirement years, having reared all the kids and scrimped on everything to put food on the table and clothes on their back, I finally am financially able to do what is good for me and one of those things is providing for my comfort when ever possible.
I don't use my wheel barrow to haul stuff anymore, got an RTV 900 for that, I don't dig holes with a shovel, got a back hoe for that, I don't sweat in summer and freeze in winter if I need to use my tractor either, I have a cab for that. Lots of other things that I have in order to make my life easier in my old age, like power screw drivers, impact guns, air ratchets etc that even though I may not use them daily or even weekly, when I do need them I have them to make my life better, easier AND more productive.