Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #11  
Have the neighbor contact his insurance agent, these things have happened before. Given the proper evidence and "polite persistence" they will pay, and for "like kind". Been there, done that ;)

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #12  
I can only imagine what a 10' to 15' oak would cost and what sort of equipment would be needed to replace it with a "like kind". But im sure your neighbor was thinking replacing it with a 3 to 4' tree (or even smaller).

You could pull his chain and get a quote for replacing it with an exact size tree. Would $2,000 to $5,000 even start to get a replacement??

Brian
Im assuming thats height - not " diameter. A thousand should do it easy. But that doesnt restore privacy stolen by the perp.
larry

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #13  
Bummer man, sorry to hear that.

If you are looking for some trees to give you near instant privacy order some Austree's first thing in the spring. If you make sure to get some water on them the first year, by fall you will have a 12-15' privacy fence. I planted mine less than three years ago and they are as tall as my two story house. Only problem is they are not evergreens.

RMA USA - Austree And Other Amazing Hybrids

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting
I don't know much about what is available for privacy hedge... Evergreen around 15' high is all that I need.

Went online shopping for Coast Live Oak... found several comparable for $650 to $900 plus freight... nothing local so far. I know a landscape architect that I will call Monday.

Oak would be preferable as it's native... Someone suggested Redwoods, but I really don't need that kind of height. The Oaks were just under my roof line height wise with my 1 1/2 story garage.

My neighbor's home was built on spec and even with 3.5 acres, it was set as close to me as possible... 10' required setback to his blacktop which is where his cars back out of his garage. Just my luck, it's the only home in the area that doesn't have the garage facing the street... it faces me.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #15  
I'm still having a hard time making the leap from trimming a few branches to "Clear Cutting"

One persons clear cut is another persons trim.

You mention privacy quite a few times, is it time to move?

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #16  
This stinketh.

But if you push too much its lawsuit time. And then you both loose.

Seems like the best you can do is get the plants put in for privacy.

I will just eat my other comments.

Good Luck,
Dan

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #17  
Ultrarunner,

In MHO, I think your neighbor took advantage of you and was out there as the tree guy was cutting and directing him to trim to his satisfaction, not yours. Actually, I think the very nature of needles falling are an act of God, and you are not responsible for his troubles, no more so than the possible run off of water from his place. What do you think he would do if your tree grew tall enough to block his Direct TV signal, would you cut down your tree for him? I think that I would get even with whatever means. You don't have to tell anybody when and how, just do it.
Think about it, he broke your trust and friendship, knowing full well that when it is done, it is to late. He maybe satisfied now, but what if one of your trees fell on his cars. His insurance takes care of it. I could tell you about all kinds of dirty tricks, but you will probably think of some. Some people on here are being to nice, because it did not happen to them. We all know what BS is, and that is what your neighbor and the tree guy did to you. Next thing, he will come over to your house and ask you to come over and sweep off his driveway.

Forgive and forget, don't think so.

Last edited:
   / Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #18  
Sorry to hear what was done. I would not be happy either. :mad: You should consider taking him up on his offer to reimburse you. That seems to be the best alternative to put this behind you.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting
One persons clear cut is another persons trim.

You mention privacy quite a few times, is it time to move?

It's not that I'm a private person... quite the contrary, but here's what happened to the first owner of my home.

He is a retired WWII fighter Ace and still has the feistyness to prove it at age 89. Anyway, he bought the home in 1955, way in advance of his retirement and didn't retire until 1968.

Upon retirement he began to do ground-up restoration of antique cars and built many show-winners. I used to visit as a kid and he always had something he was working on that I could learn from...

Well anyway, life was great until a builder bought the land next to him to build a spec home. He split the home off and eventually sold it for 1.2m and the remaining land for 600k... but not before almost driving the Navy Commander out... seems having a neighbor that builds show winning antique cars as his hobby didn't sit well with the clientele of the Spec Home builder.... at least that was his claim on why the home wasn't selling

The builder caused no end to the number of code compliance visits to the Commander... in the end, there wasn't anything the builder could do... the shop was built with permits and the Commander ONLY worked on cars he owned... so it wasn't a business. He was so aggravated even though he won that battle that he decided life was too short for all this turmoil. He said that he didn't shoot down 5 Japanese planes in one day and survive WWII to have to put up with this "Crap"

His advice to me was to keep lots of screening in place, out of site, out of mind...

The way my new neighbor, the one that bought the home for 1.2m cut everything back, he now as an unobstructed view of my home and entire acre parcel. I also restore antique cars... which he says isn't a problem because he has projects too... so I will just have to wait and see.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #20  
Sounds like a good place to park that wood splitter, old truck, maybe a wheel or two...................I never had a neighbor close enough to be a bother, but I can see their house and that is a bit of a problem from time to time.............even if it is over 1000 feet away.