Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #31  
If you knew the neighbor was watching you should have put a foaming at the mouth act on with lots of pointing and fist shaking in his direction.

Then drag your deer rifle out and clean it while looking at the neighbor's place with anger in your eye.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #32  
I am betting the tree guy does not have insurance....

Brian

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #33  
If you want to spend the rest of your life moving and running from your problems, this is your right. But me, I'll stick here and tough it out. :cool:

Nah. Moving where you don't have crappy neighbors and crappy laws isn't running from your problems, its solving them. And sure, as this country grows smaller and smaller even a place out in the sticks can have bad neighbors....but that might mean they are a mile down the road, not 50 feet.

Certainly depends on how important a place is to you and what your finances will allow. But so far I've never lived anywhere in the burbs that I couldn't live without.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #34  
George
I've always considered good neighbors very important and being a good neighbor just as important. But don't ever fool yourself into believing that you can move to a new place and be guaranteed all perfect neighbors. And having no neighbors can be just as bad. I own 160 beautiful acres in the Ozark National Forest that I inherited from my father. There are and never will be any close neighbors as the Forest Service owns the adjoining land and is not selling it. He lived there in 1936 when he got married and went on his honeymoon just to come home and find that thieves had robbed the home and then burned it down and there were no neighbors within a mile to watch over things for him.

Many times I have thought how great it would be to live in a remote area such as this and many times I have decided not to move there because of what happened to my father.

Other than land like this in the national forest there are not many places you can move that a creepy neighbor can not move in next to you just as you get settled.

Having a millionaire neighbor who "trims your trees for you" is probably better than having a welfare neighbor with 10 kids who are constantly getting arrested for various deeds.

My neighbors don't have a perfect neighbor either but I keep trying. :eek:

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #35  
They key is to research how large the tree will become when it matures. Many garden books, like Sunset Western Garden Book, have that info. Or, the local Master Gardeners or Ag extension office can help.

One consideration is how far to set back from the lot line, so branches etc don't go into the neighboring property, or at least minimize it. The other consideration is how close the trees are planted to each other along the planting line. A nice distance apart for privacy now may make for over crowding and unhealthy trees only a few years down the road.

You really want to plant for the mature size of the tree, even though it may take longer in regards to privacy.

I'm going to plant some trees to screen off my neighbors barn. I built it, but now that I have sold it, I don't want to look at it, or even know it's there. A screen of evergreen trees is just what I'm going to do!!!

Thuja trees look like the most aggressive, fastest growing screening type of tree for me. Not sure about your area, but they would be faster then oaks. They are a cedar like tree, so something in that family would be a good choice too.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting
The other consideration is how close the trees are planted to each other along the planting line. A nice distance apart for privacy now may make for over crowding and unhealthy trees only a few years down the road.

You really want to plant for the mature size of the tree, even though it may take longer in regards to privacy.

I'm going to see a Landscape Contractor in San Jose that raises Live Oak and has a variety of them available and his prices seem right.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #37  
I have a new neighbor like yours. Hes owned a good bit of land behind us for a wcouple years and wants to run the whole area. He seemed likeable but is a hunter and complained even ilied a few times about my german sheperds ruining his hunting. Even accused me of stealin a boat Ive owned for 15 years that he hadnt seen. The last few times hes come by he told me I was to clean up my shop ground. I have several years worth of iro and tractors and trucks Ive drug home since I was 14. I like them for parts and building things. No codes out here. I do alot of demolition work and have several piles of scrap from these jobs dumped for winter sorting in front of my shop. He whined and told me his wife demanded that it be cleaned up as their hunting guests didnt like it. He got red when I told him he had me mistaken for someone that gave a D989mn. I bought the lot next door to bring my acreage up to 9 or 10 acres. Plus its got a very level lot. The kicker for my neighbor now Is I got my state permit for a 1500 cubice yard compost site and my scrap dealer permits.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #38  
I know exactly how you were feeling when you came home to find the destruction. Several years ago I lived in a house in the city. The streets were are all lined with maples that were between the sidewalk and the road (city right of way). I came home from work one afternoon and the beautiful maple that was in front of my house was now logs lying on the ground. The tree roots had caused the sidewalk to buckle about 1" so the city considerd it a safety hazard and removed the tree. To add insult to injury the city billed me for the sidewalk replacement AND planted a new tree in the SAME spot.

Hope you get your situation resolved!

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #39  
I'm going to see a Landscape Contractor in San Jose that raises Live Oak and has a variety of them available and his prices seem right.
ultrarunner....Any updates?

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #40  
I know exactly how you were feeling when you came home to find the destruction. Several years ago I lived in a house in the city. The streets were are all lined with maples that were between the sidewalk and the road (city right of way). I came home from work one afternoon and the beautiful maple that was in front of my house was now logs lying on the ground. The tree roots had caused the sidewalk to buckle about 1" so the city considerd it a safety hazard and removed the tree. To add insult to injury the city billed me for the sidewalk replacement AND planted a new tree in the SAME spot.

Hope you get your situation resolved!

Same thing happened to me about 10 years ago. That new tree got a steady diet of salt water. There was no third tree planted.