Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #21  
Not sure about out there, I'm assuming something similar to most states that says that any tree that is cut intensionally on a neighbors property is subject to a minimum of 3X the value of the tree. He is then subject to OWE you 3times the value of each tree that was cut. permission to trim a tree is not permission to drop it flat to the ground. Also if the branches are overhanging then that can be trimmed but only the overhanging part.

You might want to check into it most consultations are free at lawyers...

You can first go to him ans mention you're dis satisfaction at their removal and try & find out more than likely as the tree guy just took off that they knew something fishy was going on?

I say seek legal advice or forget about it...

Mark

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #22  
My 2 cents - Regardless of how upset, angry, or in-the-right you may be.....the bottom line is your trees are screwed and those lower branches cannot be replaced. I would research the civil penalites; and negotiate a proper monetary settlement for the pine tree damages and lost oak tree.

I would then not replace the single oak, but take whatever you get and have a new set of mature evergreens; cyprus; etc.. transplanted in a complimentary row with the old trees to create a new (future) privacy line. Couple hundred dollars for each 5-8' tall tree (maybe?), and you have effectively replaced your natural barrier at his expense.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #23  
My city has strict rules regarding blight in the public view and just about anything stored can be considered blight if visible...
Check with your city, it seems the tree cutter may have a problem with them but the tree person and your neighbor may have exceeded what they allowed since they put your shop in view. Also possible they have a policy regarding the cutting of trees. The city my business and our county sure does. If they do, let them handle it. But a friend does not take advantage of a friend. kt

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #24  
Curt,

Sorry to hear about your trees. Have you looked into going after the tree guy? Seems like he acted pretty guilty when you tried to talk to him.

I'm going to plant some trees to screen off my neighbors barn. I built it, but now that I have sold it, I don't want to look at it, or even know it's there. A screen of evergreen trees is just what I'm going to do!!!

Thuja trees look like the most aggressive, fastest growing screening type of tree for me. Not sure about your area, but they would be faster then oaks. They are a cedar like tree, so something in that family would be a good choice too.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #25  
I'm in the 'its time to move' camp. I live in the burbs but not in the city limits. Surrounded by neighbors but most lots are over an acre and wooded. Very private. County has very few regulations. So things are fine. But when I have to worry about where I leave a log splitter or an old truck....or a neighbor thinks he can take advantage me the way yours did. I'd move. I'd get the money he owes you and leave. That way you don't have to worry about the bad blood with that neighbor.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #26  
I think it's time for one of those rental trailers. Parked right along the tree line... Preferably one with lots of writing on it...

He directed the tree cutter.... He should pay dearly.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #27  
For what it's worth I had a company install 2, 6' ft white pines a 12' pin oak and a 15' tulip. It cost me 1k, I think I overpaid a bit but I didn't have a lot of choice as I couldn't have dug the holes.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #28  
... He said that he didn't shoot down 5 Japanese planes in one day and survive WWII to have to put up with this "Crap"...

Exactly, life is too short for this nonsense. Have him make restitution, and figure out where you need to be. Your trees cannot be replaced today or the next day. What is lost only mother nature and time can bring back.

I'd seriously consider moving. The man is a cad. He handled the service and you....poorly.

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting #29  
I would not move. It would take a much more serious situation than this to run me out of my neighborhood. Unless you are an apartment dweller, moving is a very serious business, especially if you have a farm or ranch. There is NO assurance that wherever you move, someone much worse than him might be your next next-door neighbor.

If you want to spend the rest of your life moving and running from your problems, this is your right. But me, I'll stick here and tough it out. :cool:

/ Came Home to find tree gone! Long Post...Venting
It's been 72 hours and I've calmed down some with the help of TBN.

I called several nurseries and looks like 10' + trees have to be ordered... and all recommended waiting for November or later for transplanting.

Have not heard back from the tree guy and for the sake of peace I've decided to focus my energy on him since he's the one that was cutting when the limb got away and wiped out my Oak... His insurance can deal with the neighbor and they can work it out.

As far as the limbs go... there isn't much I can do... can't put them back and I was asked if it was OK to trim... never did I imagine the end result. Lesson learned never give permission unless I'm there to supervise.

Neighbor is President of the HOA and the one that all building and remodeling request go through... so I can clearly win the battle only to loose the war possibly.

My home is definitely one of the oldest (1955), smallest (1712 sq ft) and dated in the association... clean and simple with curb appeal, but nothing fancy... I'm surrounded by very expensive newer homes and older ones that have doubled or even tripled in size during the building boom since 2000.

This morning another neighbor saw me and came over and said that I sure have been busy cutting... this neighbor was away for 2 weeks... Of course the other neighbor was in his upstairs office watching us the whole time...

T