Can a guy do this with a small CUT?

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #11  
I wouldn't hesitate to to do it for a minute. I personally bought a tractor with the intention of using it for jobs it was designed to handle. IMO, this is one of them.

You sound like you have experience with machinery so I can't see how this would be an issue??? Of course you could hire it out as suggested. I just don't see the logic in that. Why buy a tractor if you aren't going to use it? If you were digging septic systems day-in and day-out then I would say no, a 25-30HP machine wouldn't do. Being as it is, I say do it. I sure in the he!l would.

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT?
I think I like the idea that putting in my mother's septic field is a doable thing as it is a way to help finance a hoe attachment for my CUT.

Now another "Can a small Cut BH do this?" question:
On our 15 acres we just moved into our new home and have the old (and I really mean old and run down) house that needs to be torn down. This is a 1400 sq ft, single story house. Can a small CUT BH handle the demolition end of such a project, and then with a thumb, the loading into a truck to haul away? Can it reach high enough, have enough power to tear things apart and push them over? Is there enough sidewards stability to do demolition work? And so on. That would be another job I could then do myself rather than pay someone else to do it.

What do you all think?

Pax

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #13  
pax said:
Because I will be using the CUT to mow with I would most likely be looking at a compromise of a smaller, lighter (but not tooo light) tractor, trying to keep up the gpm in the hydro pump and thus the digging pressure of the hoe.

Pax
Something to keep in mind, digging pressure of the hoe is set by the pump pressure, most are 2000psi, a few at 2500psi. The speed of the hoe is set by the pump gpm and engine rpm.

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #14  
I don't see any of your task being too much for my Kioti CK20HST, except for maybe the house demolition. The clean up would be an easy task but the backhoe reach is just 105.5" so it depends on how high the walls are. It surely has the power to rip the walls apart.

As far as the septic system, check out this recent thread where a CK20 owner replaced his septic leach field and without a backhoe attachment.

I have not mowed with my CK20 yet but many have and there is a mid mount mower option, although with your field size you would be better off with a rear mount finish or rough mower.

Dollar for dollar you will not find another tractor with the capacities, warranty, standard accesories and quality of a Kioti.

The versatility of a CUT is incredible, whether you are moving rocks and firewood...

Grading a driveway with a boxblade or snowblowing that 11" storm...

Digging out that 12" Oak tree stump with a 7ft wide root...

Or moving that stump to a burying hole, it's tough to stop these little tractors.

And at the end of the day, I can still haul it away with a 1/2 ton truck on a trailer as short as 14ft.

Click on any thumbnails for larger images.

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #15  
Dmace, you see that rock you're carrying with your fel, I had a similar one that I couldn't fit in the bucket of my JD-750. Even if it could my tractor would never be able to lift it. I am truly amazed at what some of the newer iron is capable of capacity wise. I had to roll this rock with the fel the 50' I needed to move it. If I can get them, I'll post some of the pics I took of this monolith that stopped my excavation job for a half day (had to hand dig around the rock) that would of probably added another half an hour for your machine

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #16  
Don't demolish the house,take it apart to use/sell the good material. A chain saw can make short work of the remainder. I've had several old houses to dispose of/move and turned each one into a profit. We quartered one and sold the segments for chicken houses;12 by15 feet. The cutting took less than a day. the new owners hauled them away on their equipment trailers. Here in Florida used lumber brings good money. Could take the bite out of that backhoe purchase.

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #17  
Hi Pax,
As a fellow Canadian the only concern I would have doing the septic system work is if you can dig deep enough to get below the frost line. If that isn't a concern then I'm sure a CUT and BH will do the job.
I have a Landpride BH, I think the smallest one they made, and have been very impressed with the power it has. Have to jump off the tractor sometimes to cut a bigger root but it will pull up a lot with the standard bucket. Also I run the tractor about 17-18 hundred RPM to get the flow to operate as quickly as I am capable of controlling so flow should not be an issue.
For demolition, the BH has a lot of power but smaller ones like mine don't reach too high. It would depend on what you were loading into. Mine wouldn't reach high enough to load into a tandem dump or even a grain box on a three ton. No doubt some bigger units will have the reach.
IMO--a BH is one of the handiest attachments for a CUT. One of those tools that you just keep finding new uses for.:cool:

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #18  
arrow said:
Dmace, you see that rock you're carrying with your fel, I had a similar one that I couldn't fit in the bucket of my JD-750. Even if it could my tractor would never be able to lift it. I am truly amazed at what some of the newer iron is capable of capacity wise.
Here is a picture from the side of that same rock.

I am truly amazed at some of the rocks I have moved with that loader.

Of course, some of the rocks needed a little more muscle to move.

brandoro said:
Hi Pax,
As a fellow Canadian the only concern I would have doing the septic system work is if you can dig deep enough to get below the frost line.
I don't know if things are different up there in Canada but down here (even in New England) the septic does not need to be below the frost line. It's constantly being pumped full of warm water anyways.

IXLR8 said:
Something to keep in mind, digging pressure of the hoe is set by the pump pressure, most are 2000psi, a few at 2500psi. The speed of the hoe is set by the pump gpm and engine rpm.

Yah, I noticed that about the bh's and it's a good thing to be aware of. Thanks for bringing that up again.

Dmace said:
I don't see any of your task being too much for my Kioti CK20HST, except for maybe the house demolition. The clean up would be an easy task but the backhoe reach is just 105.5" so it depends on how high the walls are. It surely has the power to rip the walls apart.

As far as the septic system, check out this recent thread where a CK20 owner replaced his septic leach field and without a backhoe attachment.

I have not mowed with my CK20 yet but many have and there is a mid mount mower option, although with your field size you would be better off with a rear mount finish or rough mower.

Dollar for dollar you will not find another tractor with the capacities, warranty, standard accesories and quality of a Kioti.

Wow your Ck20 looks to be a beast!!! It's hard to believe what these little CUT's are capable of doing!! I'm glad I don't have any rocks like that to have to remove. I may end up with a stump or two though as we have a forest (over 5000 trees) that my dad planted some 50 yrs ago or so, of spruce & pines.

It gives me more encouragement that the cut mounted bh might be a well worthwhile investment. thanks for both of your thoughts.

Bser said:
Don't demolish the house,take it apart to use/sell the good material. A chain saw can make short work of the remainder. I've had several old houses to dispose of/move and turned each one into a profit. We quartered one and sold the segments for chicken houses;12 by15 feet. The cutting took less than a day. the new owners hauled them away on their equipment trailers. Here in Florida used lumber brings good money. Could take the bite out of that backhoe purchase.

I have always thought of doing something like that but SWMBO has made it clear that she doesn't want a project that goes on and on for whatever reasons, whether because of waiting for buyers or getting them to move their goods or whatever. She wants the old house gone asap, and to keep her happy, my thoughts are what SWMBO wants....... SWMBO gets. That way it is alot more likely that what I want........ I get. I will put out some feelers, but in this part of the uncrowded, rural world......... there are not many looking for old (I mean OLD) houses for any reason. But thanks for the thought as I will look into it.

brandoro said:
Hi Pax,
As a fellow Canadian the only concern I would have doing the septic system work is if you can dig deep enough to get below the frost line. If that isn't a concern then I'm sure a CUT and BH will do the job.
I have a Landpride BH, I think the smallest one they made, and have been very impressed with the power it has. Have to jump off the tractor sometimes to cut a bigger root but it will pull up a lot with the standard bucket. Also I run the tractor about 17-18 hundred RPM to get the flow to operate as quickly as I am capable of controlling so flow should not be an issue.
For demolition, the BH has a lot of power but smaller ones like mine don't reach too high. It would depend on what you were loading into. Mine wouldn't reach high enough to load into a tandem dump or even a grain box on a three ton. No doubt some bigger units will have the reach.
IMO--a BH is one of the handiest attachments for a CUT. One of those tools that you just keep finding new uses for.:cool:

I won't have any troubles getting down to the level of the field. I am just concerned about the roots, but am finding in my reading the the responses to this thread that these little cut's have a lot of root breaking power. That is good news.

I have an old 1948 ford 1-1/2 ton truck w/hoist that I would be loading into. That old flathead v-8 runs like a top. She has duals and a box that is 7' x 10' and the sides are about 6' off the ground.

Do you think that your BH load into that?

Dmace said:
I don't know if things are different up there in Canada but down here (even in New England) the septic does not need to be below the frost line. It's constantly being pumped full of warm water anyways.

I too think that is the standard practice up here. I know my new house field is only down 2 to 3 ft at the most. Thanks for posting.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.