Can a guy do this with a small CUT?

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT?
Now as I think about house demolition I worry about nails in tires etc. Do any of you know any tricks, other than a perfect cleanup every time the hoe/loader is to move, to prevent tire puncture? Flat tires on tractors are no fun at anytime. Even with a backhoe and a FEL to lift the tractor off the ground, tire removal, hauling to tire shop and back, and re-fitment will be a time consuming and expensive proposition as the closest tire shop is over 30 miles away.

any thoughts on tire puncture prevention?

Pax

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #22  
pax said:
Now as I think about house demolition I worry about nails in tires etc. Do any of you know any tricks, other than a perfect cleanup every time the hoe/loader is to move, to prevent tire puncture? Flat tires on tractors are no fun at anytime. Even with a backhoe and a FEL to lift the tractor off the ground, tire removal, hauling to tire shop and back, and re-fitment will be a time consuming and expensive proposition as the closest tire shop is over 30 miles away.

any thoughts on tire puncture prevention?

Pax

Foam filled tires are flat proof.

Gittyup said:
Foam filled tires are flat proof.

So does the foam add much balast to the tractor? I was actually quite sure that I will want to fill my tires with fluid to give me some more traction/lifting ability, but if foam kinda does the same thing????

Pax

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #24  
Just a note on the septic system field. If the tree roots have plugged up the present one they will plug up another one placed in the same location. You may want to think about some redesign of the system or location.:D :D

Egon said:
Just a note on the septic system field. If the tree roots have plugged up the present one they will plug up another one placed in the same location. You may want to think about some redesign of the system or location.:D :D

When the original septic field was installed these trees were about 6 ft tall (if that). Now they are very mature (60 ft tall or more) and their root systems very established. I have hopes that their root growth has slowed/stopped and that this new system will be intact for another 40 yrs or so. It took about that for the roots to finally block the original system, and thus my hope. Besides, there is no other area to be able to put her system to. Her entire back yard, except for the small open field where her septic run is now, is a beautiful forest of 50 yr old trees. So, we gotta do what we gotta do, and replace the field as needed again in another 40 yrs if need be.

Pax

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #26  
pax said:
When the original septic field was installed these trees were about 6 ft tall (if that). Now they are very mature (60 ft tall or more) and their root systems very established. I have hopes that their root growth has slowed/stopped and that this new system will be intact for another 40 yrs or so. It took about that for the roots to finally block the original system, and thus my hope. Besides, there is no other area to be able to put her system to. Her entire back yard, except for the small open field where her septic run is now, is a beautiful forest of 50 yr old trees. So, we gotta do what we gotta do, and replace the field as needed again in another 40 yrs if need be.

Pax

Howdy Pax

Sorry, don't want to put a wrench into your plans but I think you need to re-consider your strategy for your septic bed. You will need to remove all the old material in the septic bed. Then you will need to get alot of new material trucked in. That's where most of the cost comes in......the material & trucking. Obviously you will save on labour but it will still cost you big bucks. For that amount of work & money I sure would not want to have to re-vist this task for a long time. This is where I think you will run into a problem.

Those trees that were first planted were small trees & took them 40 years to expand their root system into the septic bed. You now have mature trees that are 50 years old. That's what......half a life span for most trees. Some live much longer. When you remove the roots in the septic bed, those big trees are going to work overtime to grow back the roots that were lost to support their upper canopy. It's all part of survival & trees are really good at it. The roots are also attracted to a water source so will grow back in towards your new septic bed.

I love trees & it's really a shame but I would strongly recommend that you at least remove some of the trees around the perimeter otherwise I give you 10 years at most & your mothers septic lines will be plugged in again.

Sorry for the bad news,

Vic

kozak said:
I love trees & it's really a shame but I would strongly recommend that you at least remove some of the trees around the perimeter otherwise I give you 10 years at most & your mothers septic lines will be plugged in again.

Sorry for the bad news,

Vic

Vic,
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I have already given this some thought. The line from the septic tank to the field's junction box has to run through a row of trees, a few spruce and a bunch of lilac bushes, with the junction box just on the far side of that row. I told my mother that a couple of the spruce trees will need to come down, to which she was not very pleased. Now I have a little ammo to support my statement. I definitely do not want to be revisiting this project again until another 40 yrs has come and gone.

Thanks
Pax

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #28  
Not to change the subject, I found how to post the pics from the computer as attachments, how do the thumbnails work??Thanks

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #29  
Bedlam said:
Not to change the subject, I found how to post the pics from the computer as attachments, how do the thumbnails work??Thanks
The thumbnails are made from another site, you can not do that from attachments on this site. I use Photobucket to store all my photos online and from there you can select the photos you want and click "Generate HTML code" and then just copy and paste the code it makes right into one of the Reply windows here.

/ Can a guy do this with a small CUT? #30  
Ahh thanks allot I use the bucket also so ill have to give it a try thanks again