Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #31  
I know this is a dumb question, how do I go about restoring on Windows XP? Ken Sweet

I'm a technologist. I'll try to put your question into tractor terms. What would you say if someone said they had a 12-year-old tire on their tractor, the tread was completely gone, but they want to retread it themselves because a new one costs $200 or $300? You'd tell them they're crazy, the value of the labor required is worth more than the tire, you need specialized tools and materials, and even if they're successful they're going to end up with a 12-year-old tire that's not nearly as good as a new one. Tires are consumables, just buy a new one.

Well, computers are consumables too. Windows NT came out in 2001, it's twelve years old. To restore XP you're going to have to buy an XP disk and spend at minimum a few hours on the install. When you're done you'll end up with a computer with a 12-year-old operating system. For a few hundred bucks you can buy a new computer with a modern operating system.

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #33  
For a few hundred bucks you can buy a new computer with a modern operating system.

NOT with an integrated e-mail client you cant...IMO one of the worst things MSFT ever did (starting with Vista) was eliminate the mail client and forced users to an unfamiliar e-mail application/ interface...

caveat
If you are in the market for a new PC...look for the best deal you can find with Windows 7....forget Win 8 or even 8.1 when it's released to the public...JMO...

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem
I'm a technologist. I'll try to put your question into tractor terms. What would you say if someone said they had a 12-year-old tire on their tractor, the tread was completely gone, but they want to retread it themselves because a new one costs $200 or $300? You'd tell them they're crazy, the value of the labor required is worth more than the tire, you need specialized tools and materials, and even if they're successful they're going to end up with a 12-year-old tire that's not nearly as good as a new one. Tires are consumables, just buy a new one.

Well, computers are consumables too. Windows NT came out in 2001, it's twelve years old. To restore XP you're going to have to buy an XP disk and spend at minimum a few hours on the install. When you're done you'll end up with a computer with a 12-year-old operating system. For a few hundred bucks you can buy a new computer with a modern operating system.

I have newer computers and a laptop plus a IPad, however, this older computer has a lot of older stuff installed that is no longer available
and I like the email. I would like to save it if I can? Ken Sweet

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #35  
NOT with an integrated e-mail client you cant...IMO one of the worst things MSFT ever did (starting with Vista) was eliminate the mail client and forced users to an unfamiliar e-mail application/ interface...

caveat
If you are in the market for a new PC...look for the best deal you can find with Windows 7....forget Win 8 or even 8.1 when it's released to the public...JMO...

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #36  
I know this is a dumb question, how do I go about restoring on Windows XP? Ken Sweet

Have you heard from the propeller head at Microsoft? What did he say? It depends on how you define "restoring". Try to do what Microsoft calls a "System Restore". Start -> Help and Support Center -> Undo Changes to your computer with System Restore -> Restore my computer to an earlier time -> Next -> On this calendar pick a bold date (this would be the date just before the propeller head screw up your computer) -> Next -> Next

Note: Doing a System restore will not change your personal files.

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem
No progress......After 8 hours and 4 different propeller heads (2 of which were at level 2 support) They have determined I need to get a xp disc and call them back. I am ready to buy another computer, however, I don't think I can find new computer with windows 7 installed? I am hearing you guys tell me to stay away from windows 8 or higher. What to do? Ken Sweet

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #38  
No progress......After 8 hours and 4 different propeller heads (2 of which were at level 2 support) They have determined I need to get a xp disc and call them back. I am ready to buy another computer, however, I don't think I can find new computer with windows 7 installed? I am hearing you guys tell me to stay away from windows 8 or higher. What to do? Ken Sweet
Keep looking there are still machines available with Win 7...the biggest issue with 8 is it is designed (from the core) to work with touch screen monitors/pads etc...

Amazon.com: windows 7 computers

consider a refurbished box...

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #39  
Ken, There is a chance that all the files needed to burn an XP disc are on your (problematic) system...they will be on a separate drive partition...In Safe Mode see if you can get to the control panel and look for "Administrative Tools" look for "Computer Management" then "Disk Management"...it should show you all the Drive partitions...if you get this far you and it shows a separate partition (other than 'C:)...you may be able to copy the data to a thumb drive and burn a disk on another computer...usually in safe mode the CD/DVD drivers are not installed to burn on the problematic system...

/ Can Anyone Help with Outlook Express Problem #40  
One can always reformat the drive and reload the operating system. Makes it like the day it left the factory. Even if that was ten years ago...

How does one do this without any CDs or DVDs with the OS? Ken mentioned it came loaded with XP and he does not have anything.