Can I add anti-gel to my tractor

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #51  
My fuel tank on the Kioti CK 27 is 7.9 US gals. At every fill up in winter I put in one ounce of PS in the white bottle. Touch wood, I have never had my fuel gel. I am also using that fuel (#1 colored) for my furnace and don't put it into the big tank, only directly into the tractor.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #52  
I would never add anti-gel to a fuel tank if
its outside and the temp is below 30 degree's
fahrenheit

Yesterday the gas price was $2.43 it took only
3 weeks for it to drop from $2.59 but over night
this morning the price was $2.79 amazing how
long it takes for the price of gas to drop compared
to how fast it can climb

willy

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #53  
I just had my backhoe gel. For the full story see owning/operating :
JD 310SG TLB won't start

Since I was using what I thought was winterized fuel, I only added enough Optima Winter anti-gel to take it down to -20F. They say to double the dosage if colder than that - which it did....but I didn't. And I didn't test it either. Just relied on 50 years of no problems and believing in my fuel supplier.

So it gelled. Not in the fuel tank - that fuel looked just fine. That may not mean much, because several people said it would jell first in the fuel filter. Well, today I just got in and cleaned up from replacing the fuel filter with a new one pre-loaded with 50/50 diesel & Power Service 911 - red bottle. It took awhile to bleed it and get it going. From now on I'm going to add the double dose of anti-gel starting in the late fall & right on through to spring.
Might test a sample as well. Diesel fuel - and fuel sellers - vary a lot these days. And for a supplier to add enough anti-gel to make a difference for all temperatures has got to cut into his profits.

A week ago I would have been one who said that winter diesel plus the minimum recommended dose of anti-gel was just fine because I had never had a problem.
Now I know better. No harm done; not even a very expensive lesson.
rScotty
Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 6.47.33 PM.png

Last edited:
   / Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #54  
I add it and double dose in the winter.

since moving here 12 years ago the coldest I have seen is -35 F with a wind chill of -51 F. My deisel truck gelled that day. I did not own a tractor Then.

I will play it safe.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #55  
I’m not a big YouTube promoter but I encourage people to watch the Project Farm video on anti gel additives. It’s somewhat shocking how much the fuel gels even with an additive. He puts the fuel in a freezer at -20F to see what happens. The additives definitely help but it’s surprising how thick the fuel gets even with the additive.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #56  
All this antii-gel talk is making those old gasoline tractors look pretty good. Ah-h-h the good old days.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #57  
All this antii-gel talk is making those old gasoline tractors look pretty good. Ah-h-h the good old days.

Cheers,
Mike

I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the emissions and computers on the new diesels I'm wondering just what the advantage really is for diesel over gas.
There was a time when diesels were better, but now I'm not so sure.

Diesel fuel costs more than gasoliine, and since the Tier IV diesels are always at higher RPM than needed, they burn more fuel than need be.

Diesel engines cost more to build than gassers, but don't last any longer than the old low compression ndustrial gas engines. Those were well worked out a long time ago.
Up until the 1970s, agriculture was built on industrial gas engiines more than on diesels.
Maintenance was easier and far less expensive. And emissions are naturally lower. Torque rise and performance is comparable.
So what is the advanage to diesels now? I think their time is passing.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #58  
I’m not a big YouTube promoter but I encourage people to watch the Project Farm video on anti gel additives. It’s somewhat shocking how much the fuel gels even with an additive. He puts the fuel in a freezer at -20F to see what happens. The additives definitely help but it’s surprising how thick the fuel gets even with the additive.
I've watched that video several times. It never says what dosage they use, single or double, and could not find it mentioned anywhere. At -20 (below 0f) they all recommend double dosing. At a single dose I would expect summer blend diesel to gel at -20 no matter which of the anti-gel products were used.

I use a double does of PS in all my diesel. I keep a mason jar from the current 5 gallon can I'm using on a shelf in the shed. I have seen temps as low as -15 since I've been doing this and the diesel is always clear with no clouding. I check the jar religiously when temps are extremely low before I try to start the tractor.

Last edited:
   / Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #59  
I've watched that video several times. It never says what dosage they use, single or double, and could not find it mentioned anywhere. At -20 (below 0f) they all recommend double dosing. At a single does I would expect summer blend diesel to gel at -20 no matter which of the anti-gel products were used.

I use a double does of PS in all my diesel. I keep a mason jar from the current 5 gallon can I'm using on a shelf in the shed. I have seen temps as low as -15 since I've been doing this and the diesel is always clear with no clouding. I check the jar religiously when temps are extremely low before I try to start the tractor.
That reminds me that I need to buy another flat of canning jars next time I'm at the hardware store. Super useful in the shop. Ball used to make heavy glass jars perfect for fluids and small parts.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #60  
That reminds me that I need to buy another flat of canning jars next time I'm at the hardware store. Super useful in the shop. Ball used to make heavy glass jars perfect for fluids and small parts.
My dad did that, and he screwed the lid onto the bottom of the shelf and hung the jar. Had a line of these for small parts.